Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jason Dalton Background Check

Nose Jaw Beard Font Screenshot

Jeff Hadley, Kalamazoo's Chief of Public Safety, said that Jason Brian Dalton, DOB 6/22/1970, "didn't have a lengthy criminal history". But Joe Sullivan, Uber's Chief of Security said (listen at 1:50 mark) "as the local police have made clear, the perpetrator had No Criminal Record".
Someone emailed me Jason Dalton's Instant Checkmate background check that lists a 7/30/2014 Criminal Parole Probation Violation, but does not list the original offense that led to the parole probation violation.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Font Rectangle Slope Parallel Number

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Uber's Lip Service to Safety
Joe Sullivan tried to explain away (listen 1:50 - 3:40) lack of immediate follow-up to complaint by Matt Mellen to Uber around 4:30 PM on Saturday, at least one hour before the first shooting. He said Uber does not suspend a Driver for a "bad driving" complaint. But there were multiple complaints made to Uber by Jason Dalton's passengers throughout Saturday evening & night, while he continued to give multiple rides & carry on with his #UberRAMPAGE!

Joe Sullivan gave more hollow assurances of Safety on Uber's platform by pointing out it's Rating System & GPS tracking. But it's obvious that all the Safety Features embedded in the technology are meaningless if the feedback is not promptly acted upon by Uber.

On 11/24/15, Uber established a Safety Hotline 800-353-8237
  • Why is the Safety Hotline number not known to the Riders or Drivers?
  • Uber Drivers are being attacked on a regular basis. Some of these attacks are reported in the media. But more often, these attacks go unreported. See Rachi.bd's assault here
    Hand Guitar accessory Jaw Hood String instrument accessory
    Read Wccmikey's attack
    here. So why is the existence of the Safety Hotline not known to Drivers?
  • Uber instituted a Code of Conduct for Riders & Drivers in January 2015. But to this day, why has Uber not even emailed the Riders about it's existence?
  • (Lyft also is guilty of paying lip service to Safety. Read about Lyft's deactivation of BlackWidow911 for protecting herself during an attack here.)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Lawsuit time! Without a fully functional supreme court uber loses :)
With all the referral bonuses and lawsuits uber is going to be bleeding money. And don't forget about the class action case starting in june/july.

·
Premium Member
63,043 Posts
Obviously the blame ,if any ,lies with the public records office. Just as chi1cabby has proven here.
Plainly not Ubers fault as demonstrated here.

·
Premium Member
63,043 Posts
Background Checks
View attachment 29099
Jeff Hadley, Kalamazoo's Chief of Public Safety, said that Jason Brian Dalton, DOB 6/22/1970, "didn't have a lengthy criminal history". But Joe Sullivan, Uber's Chief of Security said (listen at 1:50 mark) "as the local police have made clear, the perpetrator had No Criminal Record".
Someone emailed me Jason Dalton's Instant Checkmate background check that lists a 7/30/2014 Criminal Parole Violation, but does not list the original offense that led to the parole violation.

View attachment 29097

View attachment 29094
He looks like a SATANIST that used to live down the street from me !

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The lack of congruency between Uber's claims, police corroboration and the reading of the man's record is worrying. Hopefully, people will also frame those observations within the proper context, if something does go wrong, pax are pretty much on their own, drivers too for that matter. Driver's cars are barely marked and marked at the whim of the driver. Uber is washing its hands of the matter and clearly seems intent to resist any suggestions for change or culpability.

States have allowed this to become a complete free for all. I hope people who care look at this from a broad enough perspective in order to address related concerns which perhaps aren't nearly as grave, but far more prevalent. If nothing is done, things will only get worse.

Reactions: KekeLo

·
Registered
919 Posts
Jason Dalton Background Check
View attachment 29099
Someone emailed me Jason Dalton's Instant Checkmate background check that lists a 7/30/2014 Criminal Parole Probation Violation, but does not list the original offense that led to the parole probation violation.

View attachment 29097

View attachment 29094
If i were a family member of a victim of this incident i would go after uber in court of law for neglecence.
Unbelieveable stuff man. In a place like united states where the country is as big as the whole continent , where most major corporations have their local headquarters uber is trying to manage everything through an app. How efficient can that be ?
I think uber has a major failure in this incident to let this person drive on the platform exposing his lunacy to the riders.
This killer could have killed the same amount if uber deactivated him but at least they would save their riders from this crazy person.
Jeez...

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If i were a family member of a victim of this incident i would go after uber in court of law for neglecence.
Unbelieveable stuff man. In a place like united states where the country is as big as the whole continent , where most major corporations have their local headquarters uber is trying to manage everything through an app. How efficient can that be ?
I think uber has a major failure in this incident to let this person drive on the platform exposing his lunacy to the riders.
This killer could have killed the same amount if uber deactivated him but at least they would save their riders from this crazy person.
Jeez...
Bare minimum - Uber operates by remote control and that is not responsible given the scale of their operations and what they provide despite their attempts at self definition . The driver's driving prior to the shootings, which I have heard was perhaps a response to a phone call taken while pax was on board, was an act of violence. Had there been an ability to directly express what happened to a local manager, as if such a person exists, could have clarified that what happened prior to the accident, resulting in a harrowing experience and a car side swiped was itself an act of violence and not just driver error.

Uber has indicated that their response was not immediate because the complaint was over poor driving or driver error and had it been an act of violence, he would have been taken off the road instantly. Remove the earliest incident reported from the context of the shooting and it still should be read as violent behavior, or could be argued to be such.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Jeez...
Lunacy to riders.......the worse that happened by this Uber driver to any pax was that one pax had a scary bumpy ride, but was not hurt, shot, or killed.
You say "If he was deactivated, at least they would have saved their riders".....but....Uber didn't deactivate him after the alledged sideswipe, all the riders were still "saved". None were shot, none were killed. Facts.

So if Uber did deactivate him, exactly what Uber Pax rider would they have saved?

EDIT: actually thats a rhetorical question. No need to even answer that. The facts show that no pax were hurt (deactivation or not) after the sideswipe incident. And now Since he's in jail probably for the rest of his life, there's no possibility he can hurt a pax ever

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
.the worse that happened by this Uber driver to any pax was that one pax had a scary bumpy ride
The driver was not fit to drive at that point. I have read accounts of this ride which mention the driver receiving a phone call after which his behavior become problematic. At that point, he should have come off the road and been evaluated by someone from Uber. The lack of response by the police is a different issue.

Uber currently disables a driver's ability to accept new calls if they refuse too many in succession and the decision is made very quickly. From time to time, they do step in. The incident is over, the question remaining is, what changes need to be made? Uber only wants to be held to decision making processes which can be made impersonally and by remote control. That isn't helpful and isn't going to last.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Look gentlemen, i owned a cab company where i live. now just livery.

nothing major. the most we had were around 13 cars on the road on saturday nights but then again the population here is very small.
if any customer were to call and complain about a driver driving erratic , mentioning a sideswipe the thing what i would do is to reach out to that driver immediately and pull him aside to evaluate if what the passenger says is true. period. if i see fit he is off the road.

he insists on driving , there is no way. i threaten him to call the police on him and after that i dare him to drive.
similar situation happened where we ended up firing the driver .
his first week on the job and we got a complaint about him being intoxicated. pull him aside and evaluate. he is peacefully fired that night at the point.
i am not gonna risk anyones life because this person isnt a pro.

so uber can claim as much as its an app they are still responsible if anything happens while he is driving a passenger.especially after a customer reaches out to complain in a rational way. believe me sometimes people will call to complain making up stuff becuase the driver cut him off or something.that is why we evaluate with the driver. how the heck will uber ever do that.
ubers system is extremely flawed in safety.

what uber n lyft should have done was instead of putting every person who owns a car on the road at rock bottom prices , they should have had vehicle standarts for already taxi cabs or livery professional drivers.

so much to say here and so on ....

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Look gentlemen, i owned a cab company where i live. now just livery.

nothing major. the most we had were around 13 cars on the road on saturday nights but then again the population here is very small.
if any customer were to call and complain about a driver driving erratic , mentioning a sideswipe the thing what i would do is to reach out to that driver immediately and pull him aside to evaluate if what the passenger says is true. period. if i see fit he is off the road.

he insists on driving , there is no way. i threaten him to call the police on him and after that i dare him to drive.
similar situation happened where i ended up firing the driver .
his first week on the job and we got a complaint about him being intoxicated. pull him aside and evaluate. he is peacefully fired that night at the point.
i am not gonna risk anyones life because this person isnt a pro.

so uber can claim as much as its an app they are still responsible if anything happens while he is driving a passenger.especially after a customer reaches out to complain in a rational way. believe me sometimes people will call to complain making up stuff becuase the driver cut him off or something.that is why we evaluate with the driver. how the heck will uber ever do that.
its system is extremely flawed in safety.

what uber n lyft should have done was instead of putting every person who owns a car on the road at rock bottom prices , they should have had vehicle standarts for already taxi cabs or livery professional drivers.

so much to say here and so on ....
That is exactly how the taxi company I drive for what handle it. With respect to Bart's comments concerning whether or not pax were actually hurt or whether or not the something would have been prevented, it is hard to know. The bottom line is, the guy should have come off the road nd been talked to by a human being with the authority to represent the service he ws partnered with. It is that simple.

TNCs need to be reeled in. These operations can not be managed by remote control effectively anymore and never could. If a life is saved, it would prove almost impossible to know. This incident partly describes a ship without a rudder while no one takes responsibility when it runs aground.

Well said Toi.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Just checking in, because I thought the topic was going to provide some answers. So nobody has found out what he was convicted of to have a probation violation? I mean unless he's CIA, this should have taken about 15min to find out.

I don't see much talk about this on the main news websites. Most say the police, as well as Uber, said he didn't have a criminal background history.

I'll check back later, hopefully we can find out what he was on probation for

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
Is it possible he was saved an arrest conviction by agreeing to probation. For all we know the guy was caught for shoplifting or in possession of pot.

Let me know if you ever dig something up on a criminal conviction. Till then he has a clean record.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts