Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uberpool sucks.

I've been hitting "stop new requests" at the top of every Uberpool ride to make it into a defacto uberx ride.

Do you think this is smart to do? I feel bad forcing riders to not pick up other people along their route, but I make so much less money on pools!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Uberpool sucks.

I've been hitting "stop new requests" at the top of every Uberpool ride to make it into a defacto uberx ride.

Do you think this is smart to do? I feel bad forcing riders to not pick up other people along their route, but I make so much less money on pools!
I do that all the time. I don't care about lower rates. It's less work and better ratings

·
Registered
566 Posts
When you do that you're rewarding the pax with higher level of service than they're paying for. Pool then becomes, in effect, a rate cut.

Either ignore them or park down the street far enough they cancel or you can No Show them. Make Pool painful for pax. Just don't let them in the car and don't start the trip. Pool pax are rating killers.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Uberpool sucks.

The bigger question is whether uber will close the loophole?

When you do that you're rewarding the pax with higher level of service than they're paying for. Pool then becomes, in effect, a rate cut.

Either ignore them or park down the street far enough they cancel or you can No Show them. Make Pool painful for pax. Just don't let them in the car and don't start the trip. Pool pax are rating killers.
Yes, they are ratings killers!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Uberpool sucks.

That exactly what riders want. The majority of them do not want you to pickup another rider. You pick up the matched trip, your rating is bound to drop.

If you accepted by mistake, ok. (Happened to me last night while trying to rate my passenger) If you are accepting them, then you deserve whatever comes your way.

I feel a lot better about my rating as I am no longer forced to accept FOOLs. Even when it is surging, still not worth it. The X riders should get priority of getting picked up during a surge. They should be waiting the least amount of time.

Let those FOOLs burn in the lake of fire (area that is in red). X riders should not be allowed to wait.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
What is the price structure in LA? How much do you get for UberX vs. 1st and each additional UberPool?

You may want to consider not accepting any UberPool, only UberX and UberEats (if available).

Of course, your acceptance rate will tank. Are UberPool and UberX acceptance separate or combined? You will get lots of nasty messages from Uber. However, a low acceptance rate cannot get you deactivated. You will also have more dead hours waiting for only UberX.

Alternatively, accepting and not arriving or arriving, but not letting the UberPool see you until they cancel.

You may want to discuss this in the LA forum to see what other LA drivers do. Please let us know if you and/or they feel that never accepting UberPool is a good idea or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The bigger question is whether uber will close the loophole?

Yes, they are ratings killers!
Yes, Uber has done that with the auto acceptance of matched trips. Uber can stack your trip with other riders before you even pickup the 1st pax or even have time to stop new requests.

If you notice the ETAs on the rider app for FOOLs are usually 5-10mins more than UberX. They take longer to try and match the rider with a 2nd rider.

I have EXTREMELY strict guidelines for for picking up FOOLs. All shall soon be revealed.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Seriously . . . if more drivers would ignore Pool requests AND stop new requests IMMEDIATELY after accepting a ping, then Oops!ber will have to "up" the game. Until then, enjoy being an independent contractor!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I never choose to accept Stool, but if it happens, I do exactly what you are doing.

Doing this guarantees that Uber loses money on the ride, and making it HURT for Uber is the only chance we have of killing off Stool.

Perhaps better, since it guarantees Uber will lose money on the ride and also sours passengers on the Stool "service," you can also just choose to ignore any add-on riders, but that is difficult to do because Uber takes over your nav apps and directs you to the next rider. If you have a second device, plug in passenger 1's destination into its nav and you can get around the auto-rerouting on your primary device.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I never choose to accept Stool, but if it happens, I do exactly what you are doing.

Doing this guarantees that Uber loses money on the ride, and making it HURT for Uber is the only chance we have of killing off Stool.

Perhaps better, since it guarantees Uber will lose money on the ride and also sours passengers on the Stool "service," you can also just choose to ignore any add-on riders, but that is difficult to do because Uber takes over your nav apps and directs you to the next rider. If you have a second device, plug in passenger 1's destination into its nav and you can get around the auto-rerouting on your primary device.
Uber doesn't take over our nav apps anymore. To resolve an issue though, if you don't use Uber navigation, they can't help you.

You are also incorrect regarding how to get rid of POOL. UberPOOL is here to stay, there are more than enough desperate drivers to accept them. We can't be mad at the customer. That's the wrong mindset. The drivers are the ones that are keeping UberFOOL going. If I see $3 POOL and $12 UberX, for the same distance, I most likely will pick POOL. If I accept a FOOL on purpose, I am not spoiling the pax. I will make sure that you will call your job to let them know you will be late.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Uber doesn't take over our nav apps anymore. To resolve an issue though, if you don't use Uber navigation, they can't help you.

You are also incorrect regarding how to get rid of POOL. UberPOOL is here to stay, there are more than enough desperate drivers to accept them. We can't be mad at the customer. That's the wrong mindset. The drivers are the ones that are keeping UberFOOL going. If I see $3 POOL and $12 UberX, for the same distance, I most likely will pick POOL. If I accept a FOOL on purpose, I am not spoiling the pax. I will make sure that you will call your job to let them know you will be late.
It takes over my nav, even when I use Waze. This is Android. I have no idea on iOS. I have never used Uber nav, and they have always been able to help me.

As for philosophy on how to handle Stool, I think you are wrong. If Uber is losing $8 per ride on enough rides, things will change. But whatever. You do you, and I'll do me.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I have a different set of rules for pool rides then I have for x rides. I won't travel as far to pick them up, I require that they have a higher rating, but not a 5.0 because that usually indicates a new account. I also stop future requests on every single ride, not just pool rides. I don't like stacked pings. I don't like to have to try to make that judgement call while I am already on a ride, driving down the street, following my GPS.

A lot of drivers say don't pick up pool rides at all. I disagree with them. I disagree with them for a reason. If enough drivers, and I do understand that the chances of this happening are fairly remote, as there are always brand new drivers, where to stop picking up pool rides entirely, there is always the chance that Uber would pick up on this, and tweak the algorithm so that it would no longer differentiate for us between X and pool, and we wouldn't know what we were picking up until after we accepted the ride.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

I can attest to that!

The cheapest riders are also the pickiest!

I've received three '1's, and two of them have been on Pools! Both times involved riders demanding to go to their nearby destination firstly, before an added ride! And Pools on Mondays are just setting yourself up for misery and bad ratings! The worst day to Pool!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I read on another thread that uber disables your stop new requests button if you do that too much
Exactly, I keep a vigirously strict protocol for UberFOOLs anyway to not have to worry about that. Stay tuned....

It takes over my nav, even when I use Waze. This is Android. I have no idea on iOS. I have never used Uber nav, and they have always been able to help me.

As for philosophy on how to handle Stool, I think you are wrong. If Uber is losing $8 per ride on enough rides, things will change. But whatever. You do you, and I'll do me.
Like I said, with the amount of drivers out here, there will be that FOOL going over 10 minutes to pick up an UberFOOL. Trust me, it's here to stay. The Uber gods have now given you free will to accept them or not. The reason why Uber is not forcing it is because they have far more drivers than riders out there at times.

Uberpool sucks.

The stop new requests will not work every time. It only works if additional riders are going further than than the 1st pax.

Chances are, the UberPOOL trip is a long trip already. So if there are additional pax going to the same exact location, MIA for example, you will have riders stacked onto the trip. There will not be any additional riders that are going further than MIA.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I have a different set of rules for pool rides then I have for x rides. I won't travel as far to pick them up, I require that they have a higher rating, but not a 5.0 because that usually indicates a new account. I also stop future requests on every single ride, not just pool rides. I don't like stacked pings. I don't like to have to try to make that judgement call while I am already on a ride, driving down the street, following my GPS.

A lot of drivers say don't pick up pool rides at all. I disagree with them. I disagree with them for a reason. If enough drivers, and I do understand that the chances of this happening are fairly remote, as there are always brand new drivers, where to stop picking up pool rides entirely, there is always the chance that Uber would pick up on this, and tweak the algorithm so that it would no longer differentiate for us between X and pool, and we wouldn't know what we were picking up until after we accepted the ride.
consider it already tweaked. uber already caught on here. there are sections here in the bay area where the ping won't tell you if it's pool or not. so you have to accept it and only then can you see if it's pool

·
Registered
4,693 Posts

This is true veteran savvy. Every driver who gives a pool pax an X ride at pool price encourages them to order pool again. They think they are saving money!

I know I have convinced at least 5 people to never order pool again by making their ride painfully slow and making sure it is matched

This is a company that reported 3 billion in losses is it not? They don't care if they lose money on pool.

Uber will never get rid of pool they love the marketshare it gives them. We can make pool pax convert to ordering X

1 - 20 of 28 Posts