Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me get this right, Uber charges the rider a set fee while only paying the driver $1.07 (up from 1.02) for the ride. I was thinking you get paid double with both rides just at a lower rate. But Uber is getting away with Robbery.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Correct. UberPool is a ripoff. It would be TERRIC if you got paid twice for 2 pax with only one trips. But only Uber profits of 2 pax going in same direction.

No way to opt out though. You can cancel UberPool until they decide to take action

·
Registered
631 Posts
Talking to the ops at dc office I learned it's not double. They make a slight percentage gain when they have 2 riders, but uber eats the cost of an uber pool only has 1 rider. They are giving a 25% discount, and still paying us the same. So they lose when 1 rider pools occur. The slight gains they get from 2 rider pools pay for that.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Talking to the ops at dc office I learned it's not double. They make a slight percentage gain when they have 2 riders, but uber eats the cost of an uber pool only has 1 rider. They are giving a 25% discount, and still paying us the same. So they lose when 1 rider pools occur. The slight gains they get from 2 rider pools pay for that.
The longer the trip the more money Uber makes with 2 pax rides ,while paying the driver mainly the price of 1 trip . It's only slight if it's a short trip.

Take the example. Go from BWI to Dulles. Pick first pax up at BWI,then drive 1 mile off course to get 2nd pax,then back on track. They both going to Dulles. Bmore rates you get paid about 50 bucks plus an extra $1.05 for going that one mile. While pax each pay about $40 each

·
Registered
631 Posts
The longer the trip the more money Uber makes with 2 pax rides ,while paying the driver mainly the price of 1 trip . It's only slight if it's a short trip.

Take the example. Go from BWI to Dulles. Pick first pax up at BWI,then drive 1 mile off course to get 2nd pax,then back on track. They both going to Dulles. Bmore rates you get paid about 50 bucks plus an extra $1.05 for going that one mile. While pax each pay about $40 each
Yes now take that same trip, and do it with 1 rider the whole trip, paying 25% less then 1.07.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They got you brain washed. Of course they going to say that. Look at an example with real numbers
You got 2 pax paying say $15 for a normally $20 ride.
So they paid $30 that Uber got. Meanwhile, they only paying an extra 5 cents per mile. So lets say the trip pays you $21. They then get 25% of the trip wich leaves you $15.75
So Uber just took about HALF the money ($14.25).
So the way they try to justify to people like you (gullable people) is by saying oh well you might get 1 rider. So lets say the same example you got 1 ride. Uber basically breaks even. So even if half the rides are 1 pax, they break even and if you pick up 2 they basically double what you got paid. Thats a risk I would take. Why don't they just give us the standard 80% of the entire ride like they do for all the other rides?

·
Registered
631 Posts
its not brainwashing, its math. The math says 14 1 rider pools = 1 pool with 2 riders. My guess is 2 rider pools happen far less then we think, i have yet to have 1.

the idea of pool is not to get more per ride, its to have people in your car longer.

pickupA-------------------------------->pickupB--------------------->dropoffA------------------------>dropoffB

pickupA------------------------------------------------------------------>dropoffA --drive and wait to pick up some other b- >pickupB-------------------------------------->dropoff B

uber pool covers the area between dropoffA and pickupB in the second one. That is all it is designed to do.

i agree its annoying, and potential problematic with passanger clashes, but the idea of a bit more car time with passangers in it is ok by me.
if on a given night i drive for 8 hours and I tend to average $20/hr.
I do 4 rides per hour.
each pickup takes 5 mins to get to.
that's 20 mins an hour.
20 mins*8 hours is 160 minutes(2 hours and 40 minutes).
2 hours and 40 minutes = 46$ gone on pickup up riders.
1/3 of my time driving has no one in the car.
if uber pool puts someone in the seat for a bit longer, thats good for my income.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
the idea of pool is not to get more per ride, its to have people in your car longer.

20 mins*8 hours is 160 minutes(2 hours and 40 minutes).
2 hours and 40 minutes = 46$ gone on pickup up riders.
1/3 of my time driving has no one in the car.
if uber pool puts someone in the seat for a bit longer, thats good for my income.
What you fail to understand is,there is no money in time. You make your money by driving miles. The 5min it takes you to go off track and pick up a passenger pays you $1.
So please tell me how 2hr 40 minutes = $46?????
Thats the problem with pool,you only get paid per mile for the distance you go off track.once back on track, Uber bends you over and charges each pax for that same route,but the driver once.
UberPool sucks if you actually know how it works.

Again, if you go from BWI to Dulles,and you pick up another pax that takes you 1 mile off course and 5min,then then it only lenghtens the whole trip by 5min.You only get paid an extra dollar for time,and extra 1.05 for the mile!! Trip takes 40min to get to Dulles, you dont get paid any extra for that time.Just the time for 1 pax

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What you fail to understand is,there is no money in time. You make your money by driving miles. The 5min it takes you to go off track and pick up a passenger pays you $1.
So please tell me how 2hr 40 minutes = $46?????
Thats the problem with pool,you only get paid per mile for the distance you go off track.once back on track, Uber bends you over and charges each pax for that same route,but the driver once.
UberPool sucks if you actually know how it works.

Again, if you go from BWI to Dulles,and you pick up another pax that takes you 1 mile off course and 5min,then then it only lenghtens the whole trip by 5min.You only get paid an extra dollar for time,and extra 1.05 for the mile!! Trip takes 40min to get to Dulles, you dont get paid any extra for that time.Just the time for 1 pax
Exactly he just doesnt get it. Uber would get paid DOUBLE for and airport trip while you are just getting paid an extra .05 per mile and a few dollars extra.
bart2puck if Uber is not making money as you claim Why don't they just pay the driver based on the total the pax pay and just take the 25% like they do all other rides?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Bart McCoy , u can use what ever measurement u want. Let's use miles

If it takes 1 mile to get each next ride. 4 miles for the 4 rides per hour. After 8 hours=32 miles or 32*1.02..the 32 is not 46 because 5 mins doesn't equal 1 mile....

The point being there is less dead miles if u get what I drew above.(albeit small, but add up over a night)

If u drop off rider b before rider a, then yes pool does nothing for you.

UBERX_IS_SOSO yes on 1 ride they do make much more money. However, when you have pool rides with only 1 rider, they are losing money. The profits from 2 riders trips pay for the losses of 1 rider trips. I can only assume the ratios are tilted in their favor, but at the end of the day, the sum of all pools is not double uberx trips. My math says 14 1 rider trip losses = 1 2 rider trip profit (assuming they all went same distances)

Also, I do agree we should get more than a nickel to deal with 2 jugheads in the car as opposed to 1

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
If it takes 1 mile to get each next ride. 4 miles for the 4 rides per hour. After 8 hours=32 miles or 32*1.02..the 32 is not 46 because 5 mins doesn't equal 1 mile....

The point being there is less dead miles if u get what I drew above.(albeit small, but add up over a night)

If u drop off rider b before rider a, then yes pool does nothing for you.

UBERX_IS_SOSO yes on 1 ride they do make much more money. However, when you have pool rides with only 1 rider, they are losing money. The profits from 2 riders trips pay for the losses of 1 rider trips. I can only assume the ratios are tilted in their favor, but at the end of the day, the sum of all pools is not double uberx trips. My math says 14 1 rider trip losses = 1 2 rider trip profit (assuming they all went same distances)
I'm just not understanding what you are trying to say in the first post. Bottom line, if you go off track by 5min, you make $1 for that time, plus $1.07 for that mile extra.

Regardless if Uber loses or not, you only make 5cent extra per mile on a Pool trip.Where as you would make double the money if you took the 2 pax separately.

You confuse when you keep saying 4 trips in 1 hour. Just use my BWI to Dulles example. On that scenario, you only make $ 2.07 extra, while Uber makes close to double if you have 2 pax

·
Registered
631 Posts
you are looking at on a per trip basis. Look at it over the course of a night.

are you referring to my diagram post? if thats the case.

when you pick up 1 rider, and pick/dropoff another rider before you drop off 1st, there is no pool advantage.
when you pick up 1 rider, pickup rider 2, drop off rider 1, then drop off rider 2 the miles between dropoff1 and dropoff2 are the advantage of pool. if pool didnt exist, i would have to drive around X miles or X minutes to get to my next pickup. This is what pool saves you on.
Regardless if Uber loses or not, you only make 5cent extra per mile on a Pool trip.Where as you would make double the money if you took the 2 pax separately.
without pool
rider 1 is in rockville heading to the capitol. you drive, drop off. done.
rider 2 that was in bethesda is going to DCA. some other driver gets that one because you were driving.
you wait for some other random rider. you get a ping a mile away. 1 dead mile.

with pool.
rider 1 is in rockville heading to capitol. you drive.
rider 2 in bethesda is going to DCA.you pick them up.
you drop off rider 1 at capitol.
you drive to DCA to dropoff 2.
All of the miles from capitol to DCA are bonus miles because of pool.

pool is not good in all scenarios. like i said. if rider 2 was going from north bethesda to south bethesda, then yes, pool is a waste.

lets assume for the sake of ease of math that i do 4 trips an hour for 8 hours. 32 trips total. every trip is 10 miles. at the end of the night I have driven 320 miles. if each of those trips, I have to drive 1 mile to get rider, then i just drove 32 dead miles. 352 total miles with pool, if I can get an additional 1-2 miles out of each trip(a trip consisting of 2 seperate pool riders), my number of dead miles is less.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
GTab
you are looking at on a per trip basis.

POINT 1:
when you pick up 1 rider, and pick/dropoff another rider before you drop off 1st, there is no pool advantage.
when you pick up 1 rider, pickup rider 2, drop off rider 1, then drop off rider 2 the miles between dropoff1 and dropoff2 are the advantage of pool. if pool didnt exist, i would have to drive around X miles or X minute

POINT 1b:
without pool
rider 1 is in rockville heading to the capitol. you drive, drop off. done.
rider 2 that was in bethesda is going to DCA. some other driver gets that one because you were driving.
you wait for some other random rider. you get a ping a mile away. 1 dead mile.

with pool.
rider 1 is in rockville heading to capitol. you drive.
rider 2 in bethesda is going to DCA.you pick them up.
you drop off rider 1 at capitol.
you drive to DCA to dropoff 2.
All of the miles from capitol to DCA are bonus miles because of pool.

pool is not good in all scenarios. like i said. if rider 2 was going from north bethesda to south bethesda, then yes, pool is a waste.

POINT 2:
lets assume for the sake of ease of math that i do 4 trips an hour for 8 hours. 32 trips total. every trip is 10 miles. at the end of the night I have driven 320 miles. if each of those trips, I have to drive 1 mile to get rider, then i just drove 32 dead miles. 352 total miles with pool, if I can get an additional 1-2 miles out of each trip(a trip consisting of 2 seperate pool riders), my number of dead miles is less.
It doesnt really matter if you look at it per trip or per night, because it all adds up the same...

Starting to understand you now. But look at point 1, agreed,the miles between dropoff1 and dropoof2 is the advantage point,but its not much. Uber wont have you pick up a rider 20mil off course, because Uber cant really rip the driver off that way. Say its a 5mil difference,but they are pooling on a 40 mile trip...... You only getting an extra $5.35 cents plus 10min time rate of 2 bucks totatl extra

On point 2 yes dead mile is less, BUT, if you do have to go a dead mile, you're getting paid FULL for each pickup fare,thats the difference. You take 2 pax 40 miles you only getting half
I think everyone would agree that pool would be great if you can take 2 people 40miles and charge them both. Well Uber charges them,but doesnt give full proceeds to you

·
Registered
631 Posts
I absolutely agree we should get more for 2 riders. My point is, its not like uber is making a killing on this, and we are getting screwed. we are getting some modest benefits from it, and uber is getting some modest profits from it.

yes, you get an extra $5.35+2 for the bonus mileage. again minimal, but it adds up.

in the end, i would say its modestly beneficial to the driver, but it could/should be a lot more beneficial.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
I absolutely agree we should get more for 2 riders. My point is, its not like uber is making a killing on this, and we are getting screwed. we are getting some modest benefits from it, and uber is getting some modest profits from it.

yes, you get an extra $5.35+2 for the bonus mileage. again minimal, but it adds up.

in the end, i would say its modestly beneficial to the driver, but it could/should be a lot more beneficial.
Agreed
However, you dont find it offensive that they only raised the per mile by 5 cents for a pool ride?(up to 1.07) That means on a 40mile trip you're only making $2 more than a non pool trip!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts