Uber Drivers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, is there any ways that I can calculate the uberpool pax fare?

I think I will avoid uberpool, no more pool!!!!!!

Thank you advance for your help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Uber pool is a losing proposition for the drivers, it only benefits the pax, who get to split the the fare at a discounted price, an example is a fare that should have been $20 is now $12-$13, Uber on suckers.
Thank you! what should I do if I receive the uberpool calling? 60%-70% callings are uberpool! !

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well I won't answer the fare-calculation question.
But I will give my method of profit-calculation.

First I sign into the Uberx platform.
Next I drive to 5th and Towne in DTLA.
I then prospect the space to set up my milk crate and plastic tarp hut.

Of course I'm not taking into account the $ I'll need to pay FICA from both ends, unexpected occurrences, etc.
(I wonder if I can save some $ by fixing a blown head gasket by squirting bathtub caulking into the oil fill hole?)

All in all, it IS life changing money.

Uber-on

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Here's my simplified calculation
Cancel Or expired request

It beats breaking out the caculator and seeing how much you lost on fare let alone the hassle and pissed off clients.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you afford the fine?

It may not be true of all cities, but in most one is not permitted to use cell phones while driving, or handheld devices.

The concept of the UBERpool offering to customers in most cities puts the driver into a position where it is virtually impossible to support the product without violating the law. So with each POOL request where there is an add-on to an in-progress trip, UBER is both subourning a crime and an accomplis before the fact - to a crime that the driver is forced into, sometimes unwittingly.

The only option for the driver who wishes to be repectful of the law is to refuse or ignore all add-ons for UBERpool. Actually, to refuse it by letting it expire is the only 'no touch' way to handle it.

Any comments? Please let me know your thoughts. :)>

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Uber pool is a losing proposition for the drivers, it only benefits the pax, who get to split the the fare at a discounted price, an example is a fare that should have been $20 is now $12-$13, Uber on suckers.
Not true. Driver is paid standard UberX rate from trip begin to trip end. Rider is offered a discounted set fare calculated by average fare for their trip (this is why they cannot change their pickup or destination points) and likelihood they will be paired with another rider and how much of the trip they are likely to share. You don't lose anything by accepting a second ping, you actually make your trip longer and get paid UberX rates for every minute and mile so you're making out. Even if the 2nd pax is a no show, you get paid for driving there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not true. Driver is paid standard UberX rate from trip begin to trip end. Rider is offered a discounted set fare calculated by average fare for their trip (this is why they cannot change their pickup or destination points) and likelihood they will be paired with another rider and how much of the trip they are likely to share. You don't lose anything by accepting a second ping, you actually make your trip longer and get paid UberX rates for every minute and mile so you're making out. Even if the 2nd pax is a no show, you get paid for driving there.
BUT. You still get screwed with pool. If you pick up a 2x passenger, followed by a 1x passenger paired by uber, you end up getting paid 1.5x fares instead of the original 2x. Understand basic math before you go and mislead others for ****'s sake! Only accept the second pooler if he is on a surge higher than the first passenger.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
You guys are really light between the ears.
Here is one example:
I pick up the first pax at jfk at terminal 4, then on the way out I get another dispatch from terminal 5 "waste another 15 minutes to go pick up second pax" , first pax gets dropped off in Brooklyn, second pax should also be dropped off in Brooklyn, but no second pax gets dropped off in Manhattan at 81st street and west end Ave in the morning rush hour, the total to trip was 2.5 hours for a total of $70 gross before the 31% cut ,the first pax would have been $50 and the second pax $65 if picked up by separate cars for a total of $105 not $70,so you actually think uber is doing you any favors, this uber pool is there to save the pax money, not for the driver earning two full fares. Yes if I never picked up the second pax the fare would have been $50, and I would not have to drive from Brooklyn to Manhattan for another 1.5 hours for $20 fare, do you understand what is going on here, both pax split a discounted fare. Every time you do an uber pool job you are taking away a FULL fare from another driver just like yourself.
This is from experience, and it has happened quite a few times, no more uber pool crap for me.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
BUT. You still get screwed with pool. If you pick up a 2x passenger, followed by a 1x passenger paired by uber, you end up getting paid 1.5x fares instead of the original 2x. Understand basic math before you go and mislead others for ****'s sake! Only accept the second pooler if he is on a surge higher than the first passenger.
Any chance of toning down the animosity? The post I replied to had nothing to do with surge. You bring up an excellent point but I'm curious how you came to that conclusion of 1.5

For the record I actually don't know how they handle surge in POOL, but I'm looking to find out. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You guys are really light between the ears.
Here is one example:
I pick up the first pax at jfk at terminal 4, then on the way out I get another dispatch from terminal 5 "waste another 15 minutes to go pick up second pax" , first pax gets dropped off in Brooklyn, second pax should also be dropped off in Brooklyn, but no second pax gets dropped off in Manhattan at 81st street and west end Ave in the morning rush hour, the total to trip was 2.5 hours for a total of $70,the first pax would have been $50 and the second pax $65 if picked up by separate cars for a total of $105 not $70,so you actually think uber is doing you any favors, this uber pool is there to save the pax money, not for the driver earning two full fares. Yes if I never picked up the second pax the fare would have been $50, and I would not have to drive from Brooklyn to Manhattan for another 1.5 hours for $20 fare, do you understand what is going on here, both pax split a discounted fare. Every time you do an uber pool job you are taking away a FULL fare from another driver just like yourself.
This is from experience, and it has happened quite a few times, no more uber pool crap for me.
I definitely agree POOL is terrible for demand. I don't think their excuse that more riders will come on board and more current riders will use the app more often holds up. For the individual driver, it IS a good thing as you are getting paid to travel to the second rider when you normally wouldn't. But yes, you are completely that accepting the second ping takes a ride from another driver.

As far as your airport example Cyber, you're missing the point where it is better for you. You got a $70 fare instead of $50. You didn't "waste 15 minutes", you got paid for it when normally you wouldn't. You can't complain about dead miles and then complain about a service that takes some of those dead miles and turns them into fares. As for the dropoff, it would be nice if both got off in Brooklyn, but then you only get $50. Or if you picked up the second rider only then you would have made $65 instead of $70 taking them to Manhattan. But this can happen on UberX with the same result. You could have a couple get in at the airport and one needs Brooklyn the other needs Manhattan. In that scenario you would have made the exact same $70 and this happens to me a few times a week (separate dropoffs) and I welcome it. The longer I have a pax in car the happier I am.

Now, here is the real sticky part. Not sure if they did the same in NYC but the launch of POOL here in Boston came with a Uber X rate change. 5 cents drop in minutes, 3 cents raise in miles. The reason for this is clear, they KNOW POOL is going to happen more frequently during heavy traffic times. Since the pax pays a flat rate, if the driver is stuck in traffic or detoured off the planned route they end up losing money because they are paying the driver by the minute/mile and not the flat rate.

Because of the rate cut I have only driven Uber outside the city for guarantees so no POOL request for me. I'm thinking I'll keep it that way as long as possible.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
this debate will go on forever, or until the get rid of pool. either way, don't give me a pool ride. i will never again pick up the 2nd rider. and i will only accept the first one if it's a 1.5x surge or higher. not worth the hassle. i keep my finger close to the phone to get rid of the 2nd ping.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Any chance of toning down the animosity? The post I replied to had nothing to do with surge. You bring up an excellent point but I'm curious how you came to that conclusion of 1.5

For the record I actually don't know how they handle surge in POOL, but I'm looking to find out. Cheers.
someone else here said they got this theory from UBER CSR. they were told it will be averaged. so if you get a 3.0 on rider 1, and no surge on rider 2, you [supposedly] get a 1.5x rate. that sucks. either way, Uber will probably never tell us the truth because they don't want us to know.

when i signed up, i did not sign up for Pool. it did not exist. and i was told on email, by a CSR, that i DON'T have to pickup pax 2. it's my option. so i don't and never will again. i almost did this morning, but i quickly cancelled it and told pax 1...ohh, i wonder why they cancelled. oh well, on our way with a decent 1.6x surge 10 miles.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
I definitely agree POOL is terrible for demand. I don't think their excuse that more riders will come on board and more current riders will use the app more often holds up. For the individual driver, it IS a good thing as you are getting paid to travel to the second rider when you normally wouldn't. But yes, you are completely that accepting the second ping takes a ride from another driver.

As far as your airport example Cyber, you're missing the point where it is better for you. You got a $70 fare instead of $50. You didn't "waste 15 minutes", you got paid for it when normally you wouldn't. You can't complain about dead miles and then complain about a service that takes some of those dead miles and turns them into fares. As for the dropoff, it would be nice if both got off in Brooklyn, but then you only get $50. Or if you picked up the second rider only then you would have made $65 instead of $70 taking them to Manhattan. But this can happen on UberX with the same result. You could have a couple get in at the airport and one needs Brooklyn the other needs Manhattan. In that scenario you would have made the exact same $70 and this happens to me a few times a week (separate dropoffs) and I welcome it. The longer I have a pax in car the happier I am.

Now, here is the real sticky part. Not sure if they did the same in NYC but the launch of POOL here in Boston came with a Uber X rate change. 5 cents drop in minutes, 3 cents raise in miles. The reason for this is clear, they KNOW POOL is going to happen more frequently during heavy traffic times. Since the pax pays a flat rate, if the driver is stuck in traffic or detoured off the planned route they end up losing money because they are paying the driver by the minute/mile and not the flat rate.

Because of the rate cut I have only driven Uber outside the city for guarantees so no POOL request for me. I'm thinking I'll keep it that way as long as possible.
Yes I did waste time and lost money "I lost 15 minutes to pick up the second pax, I did not get paid to go pick up the second pax, and then lost again by giving that second pax a discounted fare to her destination" , reason is it was morning rush hour, and I would have gotten a more lucrative fare, if I picked up that same customer where I dropped off that first customer and dropped off that second customer in Manhattan around the same address the fare would have been $50 plus, probably more, with less 15 minutes wasted.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Well I'm only going to speak to Boston as I haven't worked NYC, and your "I probably would have received a $40 fare" doesn't happen here. Most trips don't end in a surge area here so your left with the age old question of chasing the surge (never a good idea). Majority of fares are under $10 and even when I work the city and surrounding areas during rush hours and bar close I'm lucky if 1 in 5 of my rides has a multiplier added.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Well I'm only going to speak to Boston as I haven't worked NYC, and your "I probably would have received a $40 fare" doesn't happen here. Most trips don't end in a surge area here so your left with the age old question of chasing the surge (never a good idea). Majority of fares are under $10 and even when I work the city and surrounding areas during rush hours and bar close I'm lucky if 1 in 5 of my rides has a multiplier added.
Most fares here are also around $8-$15, the fares are according to market and cost of operating "it cost between $7000-$8000 a year " operating a uberx here in nyc, without you car payments, wear and tear and gas. You can not use your private car to do uber work, it needs to have commercial insurance and tlc license plates, and only you or someone else with a FHV drivers license can operate it and be under your commercial insurance policy, which means you need to have a second car regardless for the home, since one can only be used for business.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Not true, Fare for the first pax is pre quoted i.e. $10 to the destination, and the second request is not accepted due to the first rider's order. The fare is $15 when you reach destination. Now he will f--k your rating very hard, you will cry next day. Why, because he asked what is the fare, you say $15 after rating him 5 star. Then he shows the fare is $10 from his app, not $15. Not its is your time to slide down the pant from back.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone accepts pool rides, regardless of surge or not? Not only are we working for less money, our rating's takes a beating!
I had two pax start fighting with each other, as both were delayed as a result of using Pool. Uber doesn't tell the Pax that by choosing Pool, your drop off may be delayed by as much as 30 minutes etc. Example, first Pax is going to LAX and running late (as usual). 2nd ping pulls us off the 110 to downtown to pick Pax number 2. Pax number two's destination is closest, and gets dropped off first... Pax number one misses his flight. I go into damage control to try to avoid getting 1 stared, while at the same time explaining this the how Pool works.
End result, less pay, and 1 stared for my efforts.
Once again, why does anyone accept pool rides at this point???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.