Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pros
  • I can set my own schedule.
  • There's no ceiling to the money you can make, especially during special events and weekends.
  • Meeting new people, and discovering parts of the city you never knew about.
  • Having the flexibility makes me feel a sense of empowerment.
  • Getting paid weekly.
Cons
  • App giving incorrect locations to get to the riders.
  • Wear and tear on my car.
  • The unrealistic rating expectation makes me feel insecure about my employment.
  • Added fees attached to my income.
  • Insufficient communication/support from Uber when a problem arises.
  • Not having the opportunity to see the feedback from the riders so I can know what specifically I need to improve or letting me give my side of the story (i.e. intoxicated/rude people or people who are impossible to please.).

·
Registered
101 Posts
INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE. A key "con" missing from this list is that you will NEED to spend time carefully reviewing your insurance policy and determining if you need to switch companies or switch out your personal policy for a commercial one. If you find out your insurance costs will increase by, oh I dunno, 250%, you might find yourself reevaluating if Ubering is still worth it, i.e., if your income will be higher or lower than what it costs you to Uber.

·
Registered
101 Posts
INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE. A key "con" missing from this list is that you will NEED to spend time carefully reviewing your insurance policy and determining if you need to switch companies or switch out your personal policy for a commercial one. If you find out your insurance costs will increase by, oh I dunno, 250%, you might find yourself reevaluating if Ubering is still worth it, i.e., if your income will be higher or lower than what it costs you to Uber.
It's obvious to me most people lack the skills required to do this basic, but crucial, analysis. Not sure what the solution is beyond, "I suggest you brush up on personal finance & economics."

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Additional Cons:

Friday and Saturday nights with friends......gone
Sundays at the beach gone.....

Major holidays....working....you don't have to being flexible and all, LOL....but if you want to make money.....

Fairly sedentary lifestyle....not the healthiest way to make a living

Pros:

ummmm.....eh......ahhhhh....wait, wait.....

Sorry, nothing to really add here.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cons - no ability to pre-book a ride via the rider app. eg if a rider wants a ride to the airport tomorrow morning, why cant they schedule it (and pay a fee).

·
Registered
28 Posts
CON: Pax rating driver sounds like a slippery slope. Especially if the pax are drinking. I've tended bar and know how capricious drinkers can be. My application to drive for Uber is still pending, so I'm doing a good bit of reading about it. Really don't like the idea of my work being at the mercy of a'holes. Don't the suits take this into consideration? What does it take to maintain a 4 star plus rating anyway?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
THERE ARE JUST TOOOOOOOO MANY CONS THAN PROS. YOUR OWN INSURANCE
FROWNS ON RIDE SHARE CARS. WHY YOU ASK?? THEY KNOW YOU WILL BE PUTING
ON MORE MILES THAN YOU DID BEFORE. THAT MEANS MORE EXPOSURE.
UBERS MILLION DOLLAR COVERAGE IS FOR LIABILITY COVERAGE ONLY FOR THE PASSENGER
& STARTS THE MINUTE THE PASSENGER ENTERS & STOPS THE MINUTE THE PASSENGER EXITS THE CAR.
there IS NO COVERAGE WHATSO EVER FOR THE PARTNER DRIVER.
IF YOU GET HIT BY AN UNINSURED MOTORIST YOU ARE SCREWED.I YOU ARE LUCKY & YOUR
INSURANCE PAYS THE CLAIM (WHICH I DOUBT) THEY WILL CANCEL YOU.

READ YOUR POLICY EXCLUSIONS; NO COVERAGE IF CAR IS USED FOR HIRE,
RIDESHARE, ETC

·
Registered
28 Posts
BIG CON: In Florida, NO personal auto policy can cover you if you do VFH - even a single instance (it's a state thing, far behind the curve). And that means once you have taken a pax and they get out of the car, you have become an uninsured motorist. That is, IF your insurance provider knows. If anything happens while you are Ubering that necessitates a police report, the gamble is lost.

Going commercial is necessary to stay safe and legal, and commercial policies can easily double or even triple your insurance cost, and that's just liability. If your car is financed, you must have C&C (comprehensive/collision) which adds even more. BIG whammy. Part-time drivers may find the insurance alone prohibitively expensive, never mind all the other expenses associated with Ubering like increased mileage, maintenance, gas, city permitting, inspections, vehicle depreciation, car washes, etc., etc., especially since one's net compensation may be as little as 50% of gross fares after Uber takes their cut (I hear that's now 25% for new drivers), the SR fee, and you factor in your gas and carwashes and other associated costs of doing business.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ram Limited.
24,215 Posts
Cons - no ability to pre-book a ride via the rider app. eg if a rider wants a ride to the airport tomorrow morning, why cant they schedule it (and pay a fee).
True
It may sound easy to " reserve "

With the seriousness of both riders & drivers
Will not be easy

·
Registered
975 Posts
BIG CON: In Florida, NO personal auto policy can cover you if you do VFH - even a single instance (it's a state thing, far behind the curve). And that means once you have taken a pax and they get out of the car, you have become an uninsured motorist. That is, IF your insurance provider knows. If anything happens while you are Ubering that necessitates a police report, the gamble is lost.

Going commercial is necessary to stay safe and legal, and commercial policies can easily double or even triple your insurance cost, and that's just liability. If your car is financed, you must have C&C (comprehensive/collision) which adds even more. BIG whammy. Part-time drivers may find the insurance alone prohibitively expensive, never mind all the other expenses associated with Ubering like increased mileage, maintenance, gas, city permitting, inspections, vehicle depreciation, car washes, etc., etc., especially since one's net compensation may be as little as 50% of gross fares after Uber takes their cut (I hear that's now 25% for new drivers), the SR fee, and you factor in your gas and carwashes and other associated costs of doing business.
Short story.... Let your insurance company know that you are using your car for rideshare. Auto insurance is state regulated. Being approved to drive is only the first step. Driving for hire on personal auto insurance is illegal and like tickets, tires, gas ........it's all on you.
This section is out of date like you keep 80% , rating has to be 4.5 and many other things

·
Registered
27 Posts
UberPeople.NET ..

Pro... Great information , good people here willing to help and spread knowledge ...

Con... Too many people just plain crying and whining all the time , you don't like Uber , Lyft , Flex do not do it , no one has a gun to your head to do it , it was never intended as MAIN Employment . You want secure Fixed hours , benefits and all that get a REGULAR JOB .

Sorry just had to rant , negative people really bum me out !!!

Have a Great Week

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pros:

-No qualifications. Anyone over 21 with a driver's license can drive.
-Easy to do. I would probably be able to do this job at 13.
-Set my own schedule. (Being a college student, this is a must).
-Paid every week.
-Your car is your office. No need to worry about temperature. You can even sleep on the job.

Cons:

-Limited insurance.
-Limited customer support.
-Faster car depreciation. Putting more miles and wear and tear.
-Cannot opt out of UberPOOL.
-Pax can cancel and make you waste your time or feel frustrated.
-Ratings can make you feel insecure, esp if you've done nothing wrong.
-Dealing with traffic, road rage, sirens, pedestrians, and the rules of the road.
-You are required to accept any passenger, even if they have a service dog that may damage or totally ruin your car.
-Dealing with drunk pax.
-You get the short end of the stick when it comes to driver/rider conflict.
-Pax can enter any pick-up, drop-off location regardless if it's not legal.
-Low rates.

As you can see, there's more than twice cons than pros of being an Uber Driver. I'll give this job a 5/10 at best. I only recommend this job for low earners who are willing to sacrifice some time to comfortably meet their needs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts