Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical Saturday afternoon of random pickups and then I got one from "Grant". The address was not a building, but a cross street, so I called Grant and asked him to clarify. His response: "Look for the piece of sh*t on the side of the road, we're waiting for AAA to get here." Ok, no problem. I showed up and pulled over to introduce myself to the flustered man and wife. AAA arrived shortly thereafter, hauled the "POS" away, and they climbed into my car.

They sunk into the backseat and I started the trip. 1-hour away. The wife fell asleep on her husband, it must have been a long day.

Upon arrival, I was claimed the Uberhero for saving them. It was a good feeling.

Do you have any Uberhero stories?

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Sure, picked up a family that had broken down, probably saved one or two females from being assaulted late at night, and I'm sure there are a few others but those are drowned out by the memories of taking a guy to find a hooker at 2AM or drunk racists screaming out the car windows, breakups, abusive girlfriends and boyfriends, .... oh and being screwed by Uber on a regular basis. I used to enjoy feeling like I was helping people but it's getting harder.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pax fell asleep on the train from Chicago to Cleveland and woke up in Erie, Pa where she got off and requested an Uber. I picked her up and discovered the destination is 100 miles away! I obliged and was the hero for a small fee of $90 after Uber took their cut.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Last summer, I got a ping from pretty much the middle of nowhere in Northwestern NJ (a spread out area that's mostly farms, and people don't use Uber/Lyft). Since I wasn't too far away, I accepted. When I arrived at the pin, there was a guy laying under a tree with his bicycle propped up next to him. He waved me over and explained to me what happened.

He was planning on doing a 50 mile ride that day, and when he started out in the morning, it was a comfortable 63 degrees. However, the temperature, along with the humidity, shot up quickly. About half way through his ride, he was out of water and beginning to feel dizzy. Recognizing the symptoms of heat exhaustion, he pulled off where I found him.

He told me that at first, he didn't know how he was going to get home. He had no wife at home, nor available friend to bail him out. There's no cab service in the area, and even if there was, he didn't know the name of the road he was on. He also didn't want to risk riding all the way back home and suffering heat stroke. Finally it hit him, call Uber!

He was incredibly happy and grateful to see me. His bike was lightweight and easy to stow, so I popped it in my trunk, had him get in the front seat with the A.C., and I drove him 23 miles back to his home. On top of the decent fare (rates were still $1.10 at that time), he gave me a $50 tip with the explanation that if I wasn't there to rescue him, he probably would have been royally screwed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a ping around 5am in a not so good part of Chicago. I arrive at the Pin and call the person she told me to please wait. I waited and after 5min I called again and she said to pick her up a couple of blocks away, I agreed. Waited a few more minutes and the passenger was texting me to please wait and don't leave
At this point I am getting suspicious, she calls and tell's me to pick her up a block away. This time I tell her to stay on the phone.

She is telling me where she is and I see her and she is being harassed by a guy and he wouldn't let her go. I pull up and she jumped in my car and the guy tried following but I told him no and started getting out of my car. He seen me a 6'1 375lb guy and decided it wasn't worth the fight. As soon as I pull away the girl starts breaking down in tears saying that she didn't know how she ended up with this guy. She definetly didn't belong in the neighborhood. She was basically taken to trap house after getting wasted at a club. She ordered 4 other Ubers and they all canceled on her I was the only one that waited and helped her. She couldn't stop thanking me and called me her hero. I offered to take her to a hospital or police station but she just wanted to be at home.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Pax fell asleep on the train from Chicago to Cleveland and woke up in Erie, Pa where she got off and requested an Uber. I picked her up and discovered the destination is 100 miles away! I obliged and was the hero for a small fee of $90 after Uber took their cut.
Damn, bro.

Hate to be the Debbie D, but you drove 200 miles for $90?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I had a ping around 5am in a not so good part of Chicago. I arrive at the Pin and call the person she told me to please wait. I waited and after 5min I called again and she said to pick her up a couple of blocks away, I agreed. Waited a few more minutes and the passenger was texting me to please wait and don't leave
At this point I am getting suspicious, she calls and tell's me to pick her up a block away. This time I tell her to stay on the phone.

She is telling me where she is and I see her and she is being harassed by a guy and he wouldn't let her go. I pull up and she jumped in my car and the guy tried following but I told him no and started getting out of my car. He seen me a 6'1 375lb guy and decided it wasn't worth the fight. As soon as I pull away the girl starts breaking down in tears saying that she didn't know how she ended up with this guy. She definetly didn't belong in the neighborhood. She was basically taken to trap house after getting wasted at a club. She ordered 4 other Ubers and they all canceled on her I was the only one that waited and helped her. She couldn't stop thanking me and called me her hero. I offered to take her to a hospital or police station but she just wanted to be at home.
She got lucky. That story sounds like a pax jerking a driver around. I understand why they canceled and you went above and beyond for her. Hope she's less foolish in her choices in the future.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Mollusk post: 1229439 said:
Damn, bro.

Hate to be the Debbie D, but you drove 200 miles for $90?
Yeah, for about $18 in gas in my 10 year old vehicle which I own and is low miles for its age. Thats about $20 an hour which is good in sleepy Erie. Two more rides on each end and I called it a day after about four hours online having made $115-120. Beats sitting around fighting my fellow drivers for my turn at a $5 fare. An easy call.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts