Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 nights in a row, I wait by McDonalds with few other drivers and we don't get nothing while orders piling up in McDonald's waiting for drivers to come and collect.

Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nor does Uber X for that matter.

They both "throttle" your earnings.........
I understand but if I had a great night exceeding £100, then I would understand that they want other drivers to make some money too. They do this regardless how my night has been

·
Premium Member
8,264 Posts
3 nights in a row, I wait by McDonalds with few other drivers and we don't get nothing while orders piling up in McDonald's waiting for drivers to come and collect.
Yeah....you’re missing out on orders.

·
5,880 Posts
If Uber has new drivers near by with sign on guarantee's they will get orders first so Uber potentially does not need to kick in extra money to make the guarantee.

If drivers have Uber Rental Cars they will get rides first so Uber can make sure they get paid for the rental, plus if I remember correctly Uber pays them less per mile/delivery than non rental drivers.

I have found sitting right at a certain place or too close to it will cause you not to get a request. I had a Rider walk up to my car and ask if I was an Uber driver. They ordered a ride and it went to a driver 5 minutes away. They cancelled and ordered again. Same results. After several tries I told them wait a minute and order again. I drove 500 yards away, they ordered and I got the ping.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts

How is it that I'm sitting in the middle of a 3X rate surge zone for several minutes and out of nowhere I get a ride request that's 29 minutes and 18 miles away. Bullshit! I'm not the closest car.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If Uber has new drivers near by with sign on guarantee's they will get orders first so Uber potentially does not need to kick in extra money to make the guarantee.

If drivers have Uber Rental Cars they will get rides first so Uber can make sure they get paid for the rental, plus if I remember correctly Uber pays them less per mile/delivery than non rental drivers.

I have found sitting right at a certain place or too close to it will cause you not to get a request. I had a Rider walk up to my car and ask if I was an Uber driver. They ordered a ride and it went to a driver 5 minutes away. They cancelled and ordered again. Same results. After several tries I told them wait a minute and order again. I drove 500 yards away, they ordered and I got the ping.
Absolutely agreed

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I’ve never done Ubereats. But on Uber, you cannot be closer than 1min to the address, it won’t register you as the closest, so I would advise to park further away,

also, I’m presuming, the app has to give the store some time to prepare the order, if it takes store 5mins, then it will send the request to a driver 5mins away, to optimise time,

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Uber's MO for years now is to not send it to the closest driver but one that is on average 7 minutes away. Beyond that, they could be evenly doling out trips to drivers. Welcome to their algorithms.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Uber's MO for years now is to not send it to the closest driver but one that is on average 7 minutes away. Beyond that, they could be evenly doling out trips to drivers. Welcome to their algorithms.
Very unprofitable to drive more than 5 minutes to pick up pax when gas is going higher than $4.00/ gallon. Uber doesn't compensate for pick up distance and time. :geek: :geek: :geek:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
In my opinion you are all wrong. It’s all an algorithm. The priority always goes to drivers completing trips not necessarily to those who are closest. Ubers goal is to have every driver accepting every trip and to never give anyone a chance to stop to catch there breath. When you do finally stop accepting trips you get de prioritized and have to wait until A) there are no more drivers available or B) wait for a garbage order that nobody wants to take. As an Uber eats driver I actually love ubers model and it’s why I accept most trips that keep me in my preferred area. As long as you keep accepting you will stay non stop busy. Try it!

·
5,880 Posts
In my opinion you are all wrong. It’s all an algorithm. The priority always goes to drivers completing trips not necessarily to those who are closest. Ubers goal is to have every driver accepting every trip and to never give anyone a chance to stop to catch there breath. When you do finally stop accepting trips you get de prioritized and have to wait until A) there are no more drivers available or B) wait for a garbage order that nobody wants to take. As an Uber eats driver I actually love ubers model and it’s why I accept most trips that keep me in my preferred area. As long as you keep accepting you will stay non stop busy. Try it!
I disagree, I have tested that theory and had 100% acceptance rate and 0% cancel rate for months with no change in how I saw rides dished out by Uber. I live on an Island chain with one road. I have staged myself on the out skirts of busy areas and have watched the rider app and seen that I was the farthest driver South by at least a mile. I had a friend request a ride from his home about 2 miles south of where I was. At the time I had a 100% acceptance rate, 0% cancel rate, 4.98 rating, and was the nearest driver by at least 1 mile of 3 minutes driving time and the ride still went to another driver. He canceled right away and the ride went to yet another driver even farther away. It took 4 request before the ping finally went to me.

I tested this again with another friend that lives North of the busy area with similar results. Took 3 attempts before I got the ping.

Now on the flip side I have picked up several groups of people that obviously did not know how to set multiple stops. I would get to their destination, end the trip, one or two would get out, and immediately get a pick-up request for them again, sometimes before they even goy out of my car. In these cases I was right there next to them and got the ping. Maybe there were no other drivers available, highly unlikely, however I had no way of knowing because I was not watching the rider app at the time.

Reactions: MissFit

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I disagree, I have tested that theory and had 100% acceptance rate and 0% cancel rate for months with no change in how I saw rides dished out by Uber. I live on an Island chain with one road. I have staged myself on the out skirts of busy areas and have watched the rider app and seen that I was the farthest driver South by at least a mile. I had a friend request a ride from his home about 2 miles south of where I was. At the time I had a 100% acceptance rate, 0% cancel rate, 4.98 rating, and was the nearest driver by at least 1 mile of 3 minutes driving time and the ride still went to another driver. He canceled right away and the ride went to yet another driver even farther away. It took 4 request before the ping finally went to me.

I tested this again with another friend that lives North of the busy area with similar results. Took 3 attempts before I got the ping.

Now on the flip side I have picked up several groups of people that obviously did not know how to set multiple stops. I would get to their destination, end the trip, one or two would get out, and immediately get a pick-up request for them again, sometimes before they even goy out of my car. In these cases I was right there next to them and got the ping. Maybe there were no other drivers available, highly unlikely, however I had no way of knowing because I was not watching the rider app at the time.
I think you mis interpreted what I meant by “ completing trips”. I am referring to drivers who currently have a passenger/ food in the car. Those are the people who get priority. It has nothing to do with acceptance rate.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
This last part is the most important one. Uber implemented this deliberately as a result of people sitting in bars on the weekends and collecting "pax didn't show" fees, all the while partying at the bars themselves.

The algo, unfortunately, extends over into Eats deliveries, too.

You basically gotta be moving in your vehicle to ensure you're not getting algo'd out of the lineup of available drivers. Otherwise you're just gonna sit there a long time until no other "close enough" driver is available, then the algo will try to ping you.

BTDT, learned my lesson on it, too.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
I tested this again with another friend that lives North of the busy area with similar results.
just remember some here believe one of the algo preferences is eye color. Once you have that in mind, rest makes perfect sense.....I mean for a large group of drivers who have never laid eyes on the code.......that is...... 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
This last part is the most important one. Uber implemented this deliberately as a result of people sitting in bars on the weekends and collecting "pax didn't show" fees, all the while partying at the bars themselves.

The algo, unfortunately, extends over into Eats deliveries, too.

You basically gotta be moving in your vehicle to ensure you're not getting algo'd out of the lineup of available drivers. Otherwise you're just gonna sit there a long time until no other "close enough" driver is available, then the algo will try to ping you.

BTDT, learned my lesson on it, too.
no that’s not right .... is everyone missing what I’m saying ???? It doesn’t matter how close you are or your acceptance rate..... it’s strictly based on which drivers in the area are COMPLETING trips. Those drivers get priority to new pings. I have done 2500+ deliveries in a very busy market. When you decline a ping you will go stone cold because the priority goes to other drivers completing trips.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts