Super Moderator
16,208 Posts
math puzzle...

USA has 320 million people
China has 1.3 billion people

in USA, Uber is currently facing 153,289 lawsuits

in China, Uber can expect ____ lawsuits
Maybe, maybe not.

The US is a democracy, Uber can get away with a lot of things here.

China is an autocracy. If Uber pisses off the wrong people there or the taxi drivers start to revolt like the French did, the government will step in.

It is in Chinas best interests to keep the masses fed and peaceful. Uber will not benefit Chinese leaders in any way. So they have zero reason to support Uber.

It doesn't matter that Uber is trying to portray itself as a Chinese company, it is not, it is an American company.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jean Liu of China's Didi Kuaidi on Uber's 'Short-Term Strategy,' $2 Billion Funding and More!
http://recode.net/2015/07/27/jean-l...s-short-term-strategy-2b-funding-and-more-qa/

You seem to be covering the transportation map, but you raised a lot of money, presumably to beat back aggressive efforts from Uber. What do you think of them?

We welcome all fair competition in the interest of sportsmanship. But we have been through a lot of knife fights to get to our dominant market position. When you have scale, you have operational efficiency, much more frequent orders, so no one is capable of doing what we do now. No one knows the Chinese people better, and our local knowledge is impossible to replicate.

I think Uber has a short-term strategy to subsidize heavily to get drivers and passengers. It's not fair for me to comment whether they can or can't do it that way, but we are very, very focused on our job.

But, if I were them, I would think very carefully. It is a highly competitive market. It's already a healthy ecosystem. We have five million car owners; we do insurance, car sales.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm sure drivers here would LOVE working for Didi Kuaidi. You get requests that you CAN'T deny. I assume there must be a way to cancel still? I don't know. But Didi Kuaidi was far cheaper than Uber (thanks to more frequent promotions and discount codes). The best thing that Uber has going for it in China is People's Uber, but that is heavily subsidized and technically not-for-profit.

"Well, there is this chauffeur service. People in China like to drink a lot, but the laws against drunk driving are very strict. So, if you cannot drive home, you call someone who meets you at your car and drives you home."
That's an understatement. Drive to DUI checkpoint. Open mouth. Cop inserts breathalyzer. Blow. Cop reads result then waves you on or detains you. More efficient than DUI checkpoints in USA, that's for sure. A bit nerve wracking, it seems, though.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.