Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Great forum going here with awesome information and awareness being created.

I have been driving UberBlack fortnightly for around 3 months now. Good side cash and experience but I'm beginning to see a decline in demand. I'm also weighing up the pros/cons of driving, ie - being away from family/friends on a Friday/Saturday night, as well as missing out on an off road ride on a Sunday because I need to sleep in!

I had a thorough read of notXcited's thread (https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-too-risky-pay-is-still-terrible-so-im-out.31175/) as well as a few others which raise concerns...now I'm getting concerned! I guess the thread is doing its job. I like others thought, good cash, any hours you want etc etc so I signed up.

I realise many of the threads I mentioned pertain to UberX but how different is it for an UberBlack driver?
Is there any more insight on the legalities/insurances/liabilities directed towards UberBlack?

:)

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Hi all. Great forum going here with awesome information and awareness being created.

I have been driving UberBlack fortnightly for around 3 months now. Good side cash and experience but I'm beginning to see a decline in demand. I'm also weighing up the pros/cons of driving, ie - being away from family/friends on a Friday/Saturday night, as well as missing out on an off road ride on a Sunday because I need to sleep in!

I had a thorough read of notXcited's thread (https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-too-risky-pay-is-still-terrible-so-im-out.31175/) as well as a few others which raise concerns...now I'm getting concerned! I guess the thread is doing its job. I like others thought, good cash, any hours you want etc etc so I signed up.

I realise many of the threads I mentioned pertain to UberX but how different is it for an UberBlack driver?
Is there any more insight on the legalities/insurances/liabilities directed towards UberBlack?

Hi Nimj, Uberblack isn't exactly legal. There are two parts of the booking & job process which we don't comply with.

Firstly Hire cars require pre-booking details of a job that include the quoted fare and destination. Hire Cars cannot have any "fare metering" device fitted to their cars. But these two points seem to have fallen by the wayside in regards to what the government agencies are having to deal with in regards to other Uber compliance issues.

I would suggest that the government agencies are keeping those breaches of the transport act in the reserve, just in case they really wanted to come down hard on Uber and shut the whole operation down. Taking all car platforms down until UBER's business model complied with the transport act.

But the risk of being pulled up by a enforcement agency for doing Uber Black work, as a licensed, accredited, authorised chauffeur is very very small.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

POST # 1/nimj:
POST # 5/UberFruber: "Ahoy!" Welcome
to the UP.Net Forums
from "Up Over", Wicked Faraway Marco
Island, on Florida's Wild SSW Coast.

Owing to your NUberer Status, there's a
Lil' Housekeeping necessary first:

☆ PROTECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS ! ☆
"CAREFULLY REread your Partnership
Agreement. NEW DRIVERS have only

☆ ☆ ☆ 30 Days to OPT-OUT of ☆ ☆ ☆
B I N D I N G ... A R B I T R A T I O N !

https://uberpeople.net/posts/402925

This Driver Services ALERT is provided
by These Longstanding Notables:

chi1cabby ... & ...
Casuale Haberdasher

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

Hi, I bought a car for Uberblack but gave it up some months ago. All went well for the first 6 mths but the success of uberx pretty much killed uber black when i was only getting 1 or 2 jobs per shift.
I would ask why on earth would you drive for uber black when you get far less jobs, you need to spend maybe 5 times the amount on a vehicle and you pay a higher uber commission? It just isnt worth it.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Hi, I bought a car for Uberblack but gave it up some months ago. All went well for the first 6 mths but the success of uberx pretty much killed uber black when i was only getting 1 or 2 jobs per shift.
I would ask why on earth would you drive for uber black when you get far less jobs, you need to spend maybe 5 times the amount on a vehicle and you pay a higher uber commission? It just isnt worth it.
Hey Potsy,

So you put on a HC plated car with only UberBlack as your work source?

Did you have friends in the business that convinced you that there was sure money to be made?

What's become of the car and plate?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hey Potsy,

So you put on a HC plated car with only UberBlack as your work source?

Did you have friends in the business that convinced you that there was sure money to be made?

What's become of the car and plate?
Sorry, i should have said im in Perth where charter car plates are only about $700.
I loved ubers system but made the mistake of believing their sugar coated schpeil. I had no private work and was relying only on uber. When things fell in a hole after the first 6 mths i struggled on for a few months hoping things woild get better and they didnt so i handed the plates back in.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Sorry, i should have said im in Perth where charter car plates are only about $700.
I loved ubers system but made the mistake of believing their sugar coated schpeil. I had no private work and was relying only on uber. When things fell in a hole after the first 6 mths i struggled on for a few months hoping things woild get better and they didnt so i handed the plates back in.
Being in Perth explains a lot. Even though you have the cheapest entry cost into the HC industry than any other State capital, you learned quickly that having more than one pipeline of work is absolutely necessary in private hire work.

3-7 years ago when Perth was enjoying the best of the Mining boom I couldn't get any of the local limo drivers there to do a Airport to Perth transfer for less than $88.00. They gave me precious little margin for my offloads. The best hourly rate I could get for a Viano (wholesale) was $120.00 p/hour! Nowadays with the Mining Industry tanking, they are happy with $60.00 p/hour.

The Perth transport regs dictated that minimum fare for HCs was $66.00. (A mechanism to ensure there was a clear demarcation line with Taxis) That was blown out of the water when UBER brought in their $25.00 base fare.

What car did you have? Have you still got it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts