Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is true then all X drivers in areas with Assist available should not be handling disabled pax. If you allow a disabled pax into an X at a lower rate, and then they order Assist and find it costs more they could then sue Uber for violating the ADA by charging more for the same service. Uber needs to either do away with Assist, raise X rates to the same as XL, or lower the Assist rates to X. If they lower the rates there is no incentive for drivers to do Assist, if they raise X rates, XL drivers will want that raised as well or they have no incentive to be XL.

Here is some case law that deals with charging different rates for service animals. Interestingly it was all over a lousy $34 spread over 6 people.

https://www.ada.gov/supershuttle.htm

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
If this is true then all X drivers in areas with Assist available should not be handling disabled pax. If you allow a disabled pax into an X at a lower rate, and then they order Assist and find it costs more they could then sue Uber for violating the ADA by charging more for the same service. Uber needs to either do away with Assist, raise X rates to the same as XL, or lower the Assist rates to X. If they lower the rates there is no incentive for drivers to do Assist, if they raise X rates, XL drivers will want that raised as well or they have no incentive to be XL.

Here is some case law that deals with charging different rates for service animals. Interestingly it was all over a lousy $34 spread over 6 people.
Uber Access has two levels. (In LA/OC) One is the standard assist where UberX drivers have gotten training to assist passengers into/out of their car. This is at standard UberX rates. The second is WAV (Wheelchair Access Vehicle) and pricing for this is at UberXL rates.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So what's the incentive for drivers to waste their time and take a class for no extra money?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
If there are 15 UberX cars available but only 5 riders wanting a ride in a defined area where one of the 5 needs additional assistance they might need the UberX Assist. Now if there is only one UberX certified as an Assist vehicle then they will get that one request even if they were not the closest driver to the request. Theoretically that means the Assist driver will have a better chance of getting more rides than the others. I don't buy into that logic but Uber has to do something to show they are within compliance of ADA requirements.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the e-mail from Uber that I saw in another thread...

We are excited to announce the launch of UberASSIST, a new product designed to help handicapped Nashvillians easily access rides. As one of our top partners, we would like to invite you to a special 2 hour training session.

ASSIST partners will earn XL fares, stay busier and help those in need get access to rides! Please RSVP below if you are interested in becoming an UberASSIST Partner and we will contact you with details.

Thank You!

(December 2015)

WAV is a completely different animal requiring special equipment (ramp/lift, straps, etc.) not associated with Assist as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

We are excited to announce the launch of UberASSIST, a new product designed to help handicapped Nashvillians easily access rides. As one of our top partners, we would like to invite you to a special 2 hour training session.

ASSIST partners will earn XL fares, stay busier and help those in need get access to rides! Please RSVP below if you are interested in becoming an UberASSIST Partner and we will contact you with details.

Thank You!

(December 2015)

WAV is a completely different animal requiring special equipment (ramp/lift, straps, etc.) not associated with Assist as far as I know.
So then it does pay more? Is that xl rate for an x vehicle?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In that case it may be worth the hassle of driving an old bag to her bingo night.
My thoughts exactly, I'm surrounded by old age homes, retirement communities, and medical centers, can't be any worse than drunks, and I'll get paid for it.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts

Thank You!

(December 2015)

Thank you for showing this. I am sure this will be very helpful to some. I was commenting specifically on LA and Orange County. Nashville could be different and if they are then great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
During low demand the Assist driver may get more trips, BUT in general they may get a steady diet of longer unpaid distance/time to pickup, for no extra money.
... Now if there is only one UberX certified as an Assist vehicle then they will get that one request even if they were not the closest driver to the request. ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.