Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to take the night off from driving to enjoy a nice night out with my girlfriend and decided to call for an Uber XL, just to see what other vehicles people are driving. This nice older gentleman showed up in a 2010-ish Hyundai Santa Fe. The car only had a backseat and no third row. And the back seat was even a little tight. There is NO WAY you can safely transport 6 full size adults, let alone children in that thing.

After we arrived at the restaurant I went on the app to complain to Uber that I paid for an XL ride which was clearly driven in an X platform. This is the response I received this morning:

MY DRIVER'S VEHICLE HAD FEWER SEATS THAN I REQUESTED
Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 6:39:55 PM · uberXL

Thanks for reaching out.

We have reviewed your fare. It looks like the vehicle type requested matches the vehicle type received. As a result, we're not able to make an adjustment.

Questions? Let us know.

I have scoured the internet looking at reviews, images, and the like for this vehicle. There is nowhere that mentions a third row or show pictures of one. Also, the car magazines specifically say it is only a 5 seater.

As many groups of 6 as I haul around, I wonder how many times he has shown up with that vehicle and had to deny the ride, or have people lay in the back.....Uber has to know that is pissing passengers off.

So I guess the consumer isn't always right. :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
Were you that guy at the Hyatt going out to dinner last night? I saw a group of six staring at an SUV they ordered on Uber that clearly was essentially a 5 seater car that could only carry 4 masquerading as an SUV. I wasn't close enough to know whether he ordered XL or X, but it was a business crowd I doubt he ordered X for 6 people.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I drive a Santa Fe in DC. While it is great as an X, it is certainly not an XL and no option can make it one. When I first started I had 5 pax sneak in (2 were kids-the front seat pax distracted me & I didn't know till they got out). Lesson learned. I wrote Uber asking for XL fare due to more than 4 pax & they said No way-and that is prohibited. Keep writing Uber & get a refund.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you that guy at the Hyatt going out to dinner last night? I saw a group of six staring at an SUV they ordered on Uber that clearly was essentially a 5 seater car that could only carry 4 masquerading as an SUV. I wasn't close enough to know whether he ordered XL or X, but it was a business crowd I doubt he ordered X for 6 people.
No, that wasn't me. But I guess there are more of these cars out there sneaking by....

·
Registered
330 Posts
I decided to take the night off from driving to enjoy a nice night out with my girlfriend and decided to call for an Uber XL, just to see what other vehicles people are driving. This nice older gentleman showed up in a 2010-ish Hyundai Santa Fe. The car only had a backseat and no third row. And the back seat was even a little tight. There is NO WAY you can safely transport 6 full size adults, let alone children in that thing.

After we arrived at the restaurant I went on the app to complain to Uber that I paid for an XL ride which was clearly driven in an X platform. This is the response I received this morning:

MY DRIVER'S VEHICLE HAD FEWER SEATS THAN I REQUESTED
Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 6:39:55 PM · uberXL

Thanks for reaching out.

We have reviewed your fare. It looks like the vehicle type requested matches the vehicle type received. As a result, we're not able to make an adjustment.

Questions? Let us know.

I have scoured the internet looking at reviews, images, and the like for this vehicle. There is nowhere that mentions a third row or show pictures of one. Also, the car magazines specifically say it is only a 5 seater.

As many groups of 6 as I haul around, I wonder how many times he has shown up with that vehicle and had to deny the ride, or have people lay in the back.....Uber has to know that is pissing passengers off.

So I guess the consumer isn't always right. :(
Send another reply and say this vehicle only had 5 seat belts in the car. Any XL is supposed to have 6. See what the response is

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drive a Santa Fe in DC. While it is great as an X, it is certainly not an XL and no option can make it one. When I first started I had 5 pax sneak in (2 were kids-the front seat pax distracted me & I didn't know till they got out). Lesson learned. I wrote Uber asking for XL fare due to more than 4 pax & they said No way-and that is prohibited. Keep writing Uber & get a refund.
I've written them back so we'll see what happens. I really couldn't care less about the fare difference ($4 or something like that) but it irks me to think people are getting away with getting a higher fare in a vehicle not capable of doing the job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That didn't take long. They refunded my ride to an X. I don't know what they're going to do about that car though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have KIA Serento with a third seat that qualifies as XL. I thought the Santa Fe was essentially the same car with a different name plate.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
There's a configuration of the Ford Flex that only seats 5 plus the driver. Uber allows it on XL.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I could see a lot of rose cancelations although I pick up a fair amount of singles and doubles
Yeah I pick up a lot of people who just want the bigger car. But I don't think they should allow anything in XL that doesn't meet the 6 pax requirement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts