Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up SD?

I am a few weekends into driving and have only had luck picking up a few XL requests, but mostly grow impatient waiting, so I switch the app over to X. Are there any out there who have had luck driving exclusively on the XL mode? Any tips or recommendations are very much appreciated.

Safe travels,
SD NR

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can't imagine taking x calls in xl vehical.
If they're close by you might as well, some driving is better than no driving. Also, there is the somewhat likely chance that the person will have requested a X ride but should've requested an XL ride and you can get the charge upped.

What constitutes 'close by' varies for each person, but sitting in a parking lot doing nothing isn't making any money.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If they're close by you might as well, some driving is better than no driving. Also, there is the somewhat likely chance that the person will have requested a X ride but should've requested an XL ride and you can get the charge upped.

What constitutes 'close by' varies for each person, but sitting in a parking lot doing nothing isn't making any money.
I have nor has my wife taken an X call that really needed a XL. so that theory is out the window.

I won't take an X because it's just not enough. I don't care if they want to take a 200 mile trip. I average a little more than 17 miles a gallon no way I'm taking X rate.

A get a lot of people request XL just because I happen to be the closest Uber to them or they hate being in little cars. My favorite is date night when the dude wants to roll like he's in Uber Black but my truck is white (they always tip).

I will take a normal LYFT ping but that's every once in a while. Because the pay is better. LYFT pax are always better then Uber pax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.! Like I said, I'm relatively new, so maybe I'm just impatient or not in the right location(s). I am going to take some of the advice found throughout this forum and implement it tonight, we shall see how it goes.

I am lucky in that my 2012 Ford Explorer gets pretty good gas mileage 20/28, which is why I didn't mind initially driving on the X mode. Figured it was paid training of sorts, but if I'm in an XL I should be making XL premiums.

Any other SD XL drivers out there have any words of wisdom?

SD NR

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Friday and Saturday nights of course the best time to try to go all XL as far as consistency.But can be a bit iffy if you want to stay earning. If there is an event, Gay Pride,St. Patricks, Comic Con,holidays, mornings can work. Perhaps set a goal, when you get close try XL only.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got a call tonight for 5 people. Told them I wouldn't / couldn't do it and they eventually conceded and called an XL. They tried to convince me to take them by telling me they're only going a mile up the street. Considering I was for sure going to get the cancellation fee they definitely weren't helping their case. I guess what im getting at is it definitely does happen.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I got a call tonight for 5 people. Told them I wouldn't / couldn't do it and they eventually conceded and called an XL. They tried to convince me to take them by telling me they're only going a mile up the street. Considering I was for sure going to get the cancellation fee they definitely weren't helping their case. I guess what im getting at is it definitely does happen.
That's great but they are few and far inbetween. Everyday I get 2-3 rides that are 1-2 pax. For some reason they tip more often as well.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks for the info.! Like I said, I'm relatively new, so maybe I'm just impatient or not in the right location(s). I am going to take some of the advice found throughout this forum and implement it tonight, we shall see how it goes.

I am lucky in that my 2012 Ford Explorer gets pretty good gas mileage 20/28, which is why I didn't mind initially driving on the X mode. Figured it was paid training of sorts, but if I'm in an XL I should be making XL premiums.

Any other SD XL drivers out there have any words of wisdom?

SD NR
In all honesty your mileager will probably drop if you track it right. My Acaida says 19 city and 26 hwy but that's not really the case.

But you will see you need 3 x calls just to make up that 1 XL. Sure sometimes is slow but it beats driving your ass off to make pennies.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
XL Sounds like a bad deal. What about plus is that worth it? or do plus drivers mostly work X and just upsize when they get the 5 drunk pax calls?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts