Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi all,

Uber has lost it I believe here is the proof:
http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-stops-showing-surge-pricing-rates-2016-6?

Uber is rolling out changes so you can see the total ride price upfront. If there's a surge, then Uber will add a line about fares being higher because of increased demand.Uber

Nobody likes to be told that they're paying more than the regular price.

Uber seems to have gotten the message.

Starting on Thursday, consumers who order an Uber ride will no longer see the infamous "surge" rate - the premium Uber charges above its normal rate when demand for rides exceeds the number of drivers available.

Instead, Uber will show consumers the total price as soon as they order a ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a good thing for drivers and Uber. There is no reason to point out to the pax how much less they *could* be paying, if it were 3pm on a weekday instead of 11pm on a Saturday night after their concert. Just give them the estimated price and let them decide from there... most of the time it's still a better deal than a taxi, not to mention a better experience. Plus I think pax probably get pissed when they don't realize how much that 4x surge is going to add up to on their 15 mile drive home, which isn't good for business either. I think Uber should give us the price estimate when the ride request comes in too...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
This requires pax to put in their final destination and doesn't consider detours, multiple stops, etc. My biggest fare on Uber on NYE was taking three girls from point A to point B in the West, point C in the middle and point D in the East.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Nah. We got 'em covered with Lyft.

Reactions: f250ubercajundfw

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
This requires pax to put in their final destination and doesn't consider detours, multiple stops, etc. My biggest fare on Uber on NYE was taking three girls from point A to point B in the West, point C in the middle and point D in the East.
I read that both the pax and driver will be able to input new destinations at any point during the trip. Seems easy enough to me. I agree they should give them an "estimate" based on the predicted miles/driving time of their destination - obviously, if they go somewhere else the estimate will not be accurate, but that's on the pax.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The article implied that it's no longer an estimate but a flat fare.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think that will be the case, based on estimated time/mileage to the destination. That's why they would also add a feature to change/add additional destinations within the app.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
As with Uber sending additional ride requests before dropping off your current passenger on UberX/XL... I'm sure there has been zero thought given with this new system and providing dynamic rides (e.g., any ride that is more complex than driving from Point A to Point B).

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Well as long as they pay the driver for the total miles/min they drive, it doesn't matter what they show or charge the pax.
As mentioned though,clearly the final fair should/would change if detours/traffic/extra stops happen.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well as long as they pay the driver for the total miles/min they drive, it doesn't matter what they show or charge the pax.
As mentioned though,clearly the final fair should/would change if detours/traffic/extra stops happen.
All the news stories I'm reading present this as a definite "up front" fare before the rider requests the ride. Surge is automatically applied to the price before they even hit request based on destination.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12017002/uber-surge-pricing-upfront-fare-app-update-announcement

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...pricing-with-upfront-fare-116062400975_1.html

Hopefully we'll get some clarification on rather this "upfront fare" is an estimate or a price guarantee.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
All the news stories I'm reading present this as a definite "up front" fare before the rider requests the ride. Surge is automatically applied to the price before they even hit request based on destination.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12017002/uber-surge-pricing-upfront-fare-app-update-announcement

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...pricing-with-upfront-fare-116062400975_1.html

Hopefully we'll get some clarification on rather this "upfront fare" is an estimate or a price guarantee.
I know, but all those links talka bout what the pax is paying, which means nothing, when it comes to how much the driver gets paid. Same way with pool, pax pays a set fare, but driver gets paid more if he has to take a detour or sit in 45min of traffic. Which is irregardless of what the pax paid.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It will still have surge--it specifically says the prices will still be based on how many rides available. That is surge. This could be beneficial. Uber many times tells me to take a long route somewhere and will calculate it with that price. If this is true, i can still take the shortcut and get paid more.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
This could be a disaster. What happens when they refuse to put in a destination, have multiple stops, change their minds etc. ? There are a million ways to game this on the passenger's side
You have very valid points. And with a drunk having a hard time placing a pin, just imagine how hard it will be for them to enter a destination. But Uber and Travis need to get away from "surge" pricing as it teeters on price fixing.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts