Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh boy.
Here we go with these tards in SanFran coming up with these "great ideas."

So in a nutshell it goes like this: Uber's Al System will soon alert drivers when it suspects a passenger is drunk based on the way the passenger is holding their phone, assuming when they're ordering an uber ride. The system also identifies how the pax is walking while holding their phone.

Let me pause here.

W
T
F?!

It also monitors how many times and precisely where you tap the app.

The report states "Drunk people may only be matched with drivers who have the relevant training."
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS EVEN MEAN?
Drivers with "training" on how to remove vomit from their vehicle interior? Um, the uber hubs don't TRAIN on anything. Uber is so full of it. But I digress.

Ok, first uber's tracking our brakes and accelerations and (cough) what we're saying/doing in our own personal vehicles (both on AND off the uber clock), they have access to EVERY SINGLE THING on our cell phones (incl. photos/videos for those of you who are tragically clueless) and now they will assume when pax are drunk.
Let's see: What if a pax has Parkinson's or Multiple Schlerosis or Tourettes or?

I'm so sick of doing this. Damn McDonalds for only paying minimum wage.

Google for full story as we're prohibited to post links.

As always, thanks for listening coworkers.

One last thing: I think uber secretly enjoys lawsuits.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Did y'all think Rohit was just going to stop at detecting if your phone is in your hand or on a mount? They are slowly figuring out its cheaper and easier to control a stupid human than to develop a machine. Half the population of riders think Uber's only purpose is to transport drunks. Uber has claimed that transporting drunks makes them heroic...by making the streets safer, blah, bl;ah blah

·
Banned
631 Posts
The story is that someone noticed a patent application that was filed by Uber back in December of 2016 and published last Thursday. (As far as I can tell, the patent has not been granted yet). There are online services that monitor and publish patent activity each week.

CNN picked up on this, and their report describes the patent, which has two main parts. First is the invention itself, which uses AI to look at a few hundred inputs, a lot of which is "how you are holding it" as people have more or less described here. Also factored in is the location, time of day; a lot of it is about comparing to how the person usually orders their Uber. The second part is how this would be useful in their business: examples included charging a premium to dispatch the drunks to drivers who are trained to handle them.

CNN contacted Uber, who refused to give any comment at all.

The story was then picked up (or possibly originated) on KNTV in Nevada, and their report consists mostly of an interview. The person they interviewed described the patent, and said that Uber was going to roll it out, and said all kinds of things. Such as, "We're responsible for the passenger's safety if they are drunk." The person who said all that stuff was just some random Uber driver spouting off. It was not anybody who is an employee or representative of Uber. Versions of this story were published in tech trade magazines such as The Guardian and TechCrunch, and entertainment site Mashable.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Uber has actually developed this technology, and even if they had, there are many big reasons why they would not roll it out. For one thing, it would represent a major change in their business model, for another, it would open them up to unimaginable liability issues. (Well, the thing about liability issues is that they are imaginable, which would not be a good thing for Uber! LOL)

The media loves to report on Uber, and this story has been blown way out of proportion.

So in summary: Calm Down; It Isn't Going To Happen.

It's US Patent Application 15/367139 aka 2018057984, in case you're curious.
http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.html&r=3&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=uber.AANM.&OS=aanm/uber&RS=AANM/uber

It's Fake News, which is always most delicious if there some kernel of something true in it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
As always: Depends on the Surge
Nope. And you know I always say it depends on the surge...EXCEPT in this situation. I turned down a 4.1x when these SEVEN people showed up to my minivan and two were literally holding up a guy who was completely limp, eyes rolling, head bobbing, mouth slightly open. He was catatonic. I immediately locked the doors and said I could not take that guy. The woman actually pulled out a flimsy CVS bag and said "oh, it's ok. We have a bag- see?" I told her it's gross, I don't want to hear someone puking in my car while I'm driving, I didn't trust there would still not be a mess, and it wouldn't get rid of the smell! She continued to try and argue, but I was like gtfo. She was like "well, my $67 I paid for this trip says I can take him." To that end, I immediately cancelled the trip and urged her to take the bus. Smh.... it's my private property and if I don't want some irresponsible drunk puking in my car, then they need to respect that and gtfo of my face!

It is not worth the time off from driving to deal with pukers. I make way more than Uber compensates and it's not worth the forced time off to deal with the yack all over my car.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
kbrown is right: do NOT pick up anybody that needs physical assistance to get to the vehicle.

I always travel with my doors locked so people can’t get in my car without my knowledge and approval.

I have driven drunk hours for almost 3 years now, and I have turned down many, many people that can’t walk without assistance.

Their friends hurl F bombs at me for refusing entry, but better that then hurling in the vehicle.

I have yet to have anybody puke in the car. I have had half dozen close calls where I had to pull the vehicle over quickly so they could yak out on the curb.

·
Banned
5,383 Posts
I get why a passenger would be pissed but from a drivers perspective it seems like it would be a good thing. As IC do we not want all information that we can get to allow us to better run our business?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh boy.
Here we go with these tards in SanFran coming up with these "great ideas."

So in a nutshell it goes like this: Uber's Al System will soon alert drivers when it suspects a passenger is drunk based on the way the passenger is holding their phone, assuming when they're ordering an uber ride. The system also identifies how the pax is walking while holding their phone.

Let me pause here.

W
T
F?!

It also monitors how many times and precisely where you tap the app.

The report states "Drunk people may only be matched with drivers who have the relevant training."
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS EVEN MEAN?
Drivers with "training" on how to remove vomit from their vehicle interior? Um, the uber hubs don't TRAIN on anything. Uber is so full of it. But I digress.

Ok, first uber's tracking our brakes and accelerations and (cough) what we're saying/doing in our own personal vehicles (both on AND off the uber clock), they have access to EVERY SINGLE THING on our cell phones (incl. photos/videos for those of you who are tragically clueless) and now they will assume when pax are drunk.
Let's see: What if a pax has Parkinson's or Multiple Schlerosis or Tourettes or?

I'm so sick of doing this. Damn McDonalds for only paying minimum wage.

Google for full story as we're prohibited to post links.

As always, thanks for listening coworkers.

One last thing: I think uber secretly enjoys lawsuits.
"Training" mains someone got big cleaning fee had experience deal with drunk pax. Those drivers will be dispatched to those drunk pax.

Nope. And you know I always say it depends on the surge...EXCEPT in this situation. I turned down a 4.1x when these SEVEN people showed up to my minivan and two were literally holding up a guy who was completely limp, eyes rolling, head bobbing, mouth slightly open. He was catatonic. I immediately locked the doors and said I could not take that guy. The woman actually pulled out a flimsy CVS bag and said "oh, it's ok. We have a bag- see?" I told her it's gross, I don't want to hear someone puking in my car while I'm driving, I didn't trust there would still not be a mess, and it wouldn't get rid of the smell! She continued to try and argue, but I was like gtfo. She was like "well, my $67 I paid for this trip says I can take him." To that end, I immediately cancelled the trip and urged her to take the bus. Smh.... it's my private property and if I don't want some irresponsible drunk puking in my car, then they need to respect that and gtfo of my face!

It is not worth the time off from driving to deal with pukers. I make way more than Uber compensates and it's not worth the forced time off to deal with the yack all over my car.
Did you get no show fee $3.75?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts