Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
An outrages move by Uber to control drivers.

This is the part I find most disturbing:
(From the article in the Verge)
"The rating systems used by these companies have turned customers into unwitting and sometimes unwittingly ruthless middle managers, more efficient than any boss a company could hope to hire. They're always there, working for free, hypersensitive to the smallest error. All the algorithm has to do is tally up their judgments and deactivate accordingly."

"Ratings help these companies to achieve enormous scale, managing large pools of untrained contract workers without having to hire supervisors. It's a nice arrangement for customers too, who get cheap service with a smile - even if it's an anxious one. But for the workers, already in the precarious position of contract labor, making every customer a boss is a terrifying prospect. After all, they - we - can be entitled jerk"

As Ad said: "Dashcam, more than ever."

Won't change anything that I currently do. I will continue to engage with friendly riders looking for a pleasant conversation, know to shut up when I need to, or know when to terminate a ride if a rider's behavior crosses the line.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I also saw they have the ability to call the police and send their GPS to others and police if their driver is suspect.

I wish I was making this up but it was an ad before a YouTube video I saw last night. It was like a pretty girl in the back seat talking to the camera with her phone out and then on the outro it said Uber and something else

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
i think the more important point is not the rating but tipping mid-trip. you as a driver can negotiate with the rider and received guaranteed payment in form of tips while on route. instead of accepting extra cash only for a long out-of-state trip, you can ask the rider to tip first before you take the ride (after having started the trip, of course).

·
Registered
374 Posts
i think the more important point is not the rating but tipping mid-trip. you as a driver can negotiate with the rider and received guaranteed payment in form of tips while on route. instead of accepting extra cash only for a long out-of-state trip, you can ask the rider to tip first before you take the ride (after having started the trip, of course).
Great point for long trip you can now negotiate this.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I dont see how this helps Uber drivers at all

More clearer than ever they cater to the pax and dont care about drivers

I get that passengers is where the money comes from but with out drivers being happy - then how will you get the passengers happy ?

from what I understand from talking to my elders - back in the days - employees and employers were loyal to each other and thrived because of it

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
So now we can get rated during the trip by drunks, druggies, entitled brats, criminals, and others of bad character. I wonder if Uber thinks all pax are middle class college graduates with an honorable sense of fairness?
They need to realize that a good percentage of the pax are the exact opposite. The lowest of the low, taking Uber because they are not allowed on the bus or train. They have suspended or revoked licenses, repossessed or crashed cars, and are usually high on something.
The proof is drive in poor areas and get bad ratings, drive in affluent areas and airports get good rating. Take Pool and now Pool Express and watch rating go down. X only or XL and ratings are better. Select, Black, and SUV have the best ratings.
This mid-ride rating is going to reduce the number of drivers through deactivtion because of low ratings or quitting because it just in NOT FAIR!!
I've been doing this for 3 years. Driving on the South Side and Gary, I see ratings go down and driving in Loop, Lakeview and north the ratings go up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts