Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hanging out at home waiting for a late night select ping. And I get one down the road at 1:44am.

I head out the door and I tell my fiancé that I have a feeling it's another shorty so I'll be back soon.

I get to the address, turns out its some sort of music studio and this guy and girl were working late at night I guess. Both are unusually sweaty and I can't tell which one reeks of BO. They get in and he immediately says that they're just going to McDonald's drive thru (it's the location farthest east from the pickup) because it's the only thing open and if that's ok with me. Didn't offer to buy me food or anything. I cringe on the inside and say yeah that's fine, just please no eating in the car. I figured whatever, I'm close to home, it's a select ride, get in get out, collect the min select fare for a few minutes work. He says that He picked select because I was closer and he didn't want to wait the extra three minutes for the X to arrive. He would soon regret that decision.

We get to McDonald's and get in the drive thru queue. Before he can order, McDonald's mentions they can only take cash right now. Pax doesn't have cash, so now we gotta go to an ATM. I make my way a mile back the other direction for one and as we're going back I mention there's a really good taco truck down the road if you guys want something better to eat. She checks on Yelp and he goes to get cash. He gets back in the car and they both agree to go to this taco truck I mentioned. Ok this trip is getting better.

We drive down another mile or so and get to the truck. I pull up and it looks like the guy is closing up early. I poke my head out the window and he nods and says sorry we ran out of food! I just told them minutes before thst on really busy nights they sell out. Of course I Didn't think this would be the night it happens.

Looks like we're going back to McDonalds. Drive all the way back the opposite direction and now there's a decent size line. We then proceeded to wait another 15 minutes in line from order to pickup window because of the whole cash only fiasco and because the order girl says they have a new cook tonight. The female pax ordered a double cheeseburger combo with no meat because she's a vegetarian.....blech.

Ordeal over and here's the aftermath of a "quick" jaunt down to McDonald's because they didn't want to wait. And of course he didn't tip.

Made sure to screenshot the trip in case he decided to dispute it.

TL;DR a short drive thru run ended up being a pretty decent fare for the mileage and time I put into it. Not too far from home either. A little luck and some awesome coincidences sprinkled with an impatient pax turned a turd of a trip into a win.

Product World Rectangle Slope Font

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bully for you. You turned their hunger situation into a win. Cash only drive thru McD's in LA?. Super ghetto.
Kinda shady. But I've seen it happen at other chains at this time of night back when I worked graveyard shift for a company. the systems go down to go through the previous day's sales or something as I understand it.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Damn. Now that's a rare success story.

Always feel good for my fellow drivers when they finally actually make some money doing uber instead of getting shafted
What did you do with Joe? Is he locked in the trunk?

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Hanging out at home waiting for a late night select ping. And I get one down the road at 1:44am.

I head out the door and I tell my fiancé that I have a feeling it's another shorty so I'll be back soon.

I get to the address, turns out its some sort of music studio and this guy and girl were working late at night I guess. Both are unusually sweaty and I can't tell which one reeks of BO. They get in and he immediately says that they're just going to McDonald's drive thru (it's the location farthest east from the pickup) because it's the only thing open and if that's ok with me. Didn't offer to buy me food or anything. I cringe on the inside and say yeah that's fine, just please no eating in the car. I figured whatever, I'm close to home, it's a select ride, get in get out, collect the min select fare for a few minutes work. He says that He picked select because I was closer and he didn't want to wait the extra three minutes for the X to arrive. He would soon regret that decision.

We get to McDonald's and get in the drive thru queue. Before he can order, McDonald's mentions they can only take cash right now. Pax doesn't have cash, so now we gotta go to an ATM. I make my way a mile back the other direction for one and as we're going back I mention there's a really good taco truck down the road if you guys want something better to eat. She checks on Yelp and he goes to get cash. He gets back in the car and they both agree to go to this taco truck I mentioned. Ok this trip is getting better.

We drive down another mile or so and get to the truck. I pull up and it looks like the guy is closing up early. I poke my head out the window and he nods and says sorry we ran out of food! I just told them minutes before thst on really busy nights they sell out. Of course I Didn't think this would be the night it happens.

Looks like we're going back to McDonalds. Drive all the way back the opposite direction and now there's a decent size line. We then proceeded to wait another 15 minutes in line from order to pickup window because of the whole cash only fiasco and because the order girl says they have a new cook tonight. The female pax ordered a double cheeseburger combo with no meat because she's a vegetarian.....blech.

Ordeal over and here's the aftermath of a "quick" jaunt down to McDonald's because they didn't want to wait. And of course he didn't tip.

TL;DR a short drive thru run ended up being a pretty decent fare for the mileage and time I put into it. Not too far from home either. A little luck and some awesome coincidences sprinkled with an impatient pax turned a turd of a trip into a win.

View attachment 49151
I would have much rather stayed in bed with my fiancé then drive around a smelly pax for $22

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have much rather stayed in bed with my fiancé then drive around a smelly pax for $22
So would I. But I've switched up strategy considering the current driving climate and started leaving the app on more late nights / early mornings and its resulted in more select calls and airport runs. Typically they're from my area back to the Hollywood areas or DTLA

·
Registered
147 Posts
if i'm working in the uber xchange car lot and a guy comes in for for the sonata because he's had a good past with hyundai's i'm not going to gamble by selling him a prius just because it's a better car and i want to make a sale. I risk the chance of wasting 2 hours with him filling out paperwork and then him returning the car the next time the sonata is available with another sales associate who will get credit while i get dinged.

i would never do the such thing as to email uber and blame you for suggesting the food truck when mcdonalds was the priority but i would not be surprised if a part of your $22.84 sale got shaved down come payroll time. The system is a very good system in this society if you are a customer unless you're a dmv customer in which nobody there will ever give you a break and bend over for you.

it might only even be a couple of bucks for the time wasted at the food truck but i'm telling you customers can give me a headache thinking about these kinds of possibilities ahead of time so i just would rather not deal with it in the first place, know what i mean?

Even if you emailed uber ahead of time letting them know that the suggested food truck ended up being sold out, they still might side with the customer or maybe they won't care and your pay stays the same so who knows. I'm just saying that in a situation like this, i would have never said anything about the food truck even if it wasn't the weekend where the food tends to get sold out as you mentioned.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$22 to get out of bed at 1:44am and your proud of that.. ugh.

Uber wins.
Jesus Christ where does it say I was in bed? Reading comprehension escapes some of you guys. And apparently you missed the point entirely.

I happen to live in an area that has pretty popular nightlife daily and I get pings from surrounding neighborhoods for a myriad of other reasons. So I'm taking advantage of that while a ton of you complain about not getting pings for hours or fighting over saturation.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts

View attachment 49151
Ha! 33 minutes
And the best part is, you didn't have to eat McDonald's!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts