Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to all of the changes that have continued to make our lives tougher and a huge shift in market share I have put UBER on the back burner when Im driving. Here is a quick comparison as to why

UBER LYFT
Cancel Fee $3.75 $5.00 ($10.00 if the ride was scheduled)
Surge Flat Fee Multiplier
Instant Pay Not available Never had an issue
Airport Turnarounds None If you bring a ride in you will get one headed out
Driver promotions None/ Limited Promotions / Guarantees are open
See Destination NO Yes after arrival
Driver Support Terrible / Offshore US based / Always helpful

Mind you that I dont think either of these companies really cares about drivers or passengers, however just the little nuances that I have seen lately have made driving for Lyft a little more palatable..at least in my market

·
Premium Member
11,658 Posts
I agree with everything you said, but none of those items are important to me.
  • I don't cancel often, so $1.25 doesn't matter
  • I don't work drunk hours, so I take surges when I get them during the hours I work. We don't have the flat fee surge here yet, but when we get it I'll see if how I work my rare surge situations matters. BFD to night drivers, but not important to me.
  • Don't use Instant Pay.
  • I formerly got turnarounds from Uber, but not since our MIA airport queue got so thoroughly corrupted. I drop off and flee now -- let the airport pax enjoy their non-lingual introduction to Miami! Never got a turnaround from Lyft. Not one.
  • Promotions are icing on the cake to me, and I rarely play. But when I do, I find Uber promotions straightforward and legit. Lyft, not so much.
    • Uber promotions are designed to pay you as little as possible to get you to do what they want.
    • Lyft promotions (in my market) are designed to pay nothing at all...although I did stumble into a Primetime once. One PT ride out of maybe 300 Lyft rides! Most of that is probably me, though, because I turn Lyft off when it's busy.
  • Don't care about destination on arrival. Yeah, with Lyft I look at it if the rider is not toes to the curb, but it rarely influences me.
  • Driver support is awful on both sides. No in broken English is the same as no in fluent American.
Here's why I prefer Uber:
  • Money. Money is the reason I drive, so it's rather important to me.
    • My ride requests run about 9:1 Uber:Lyft, so Lyft is definitely "Plan B" for me, and for most drivers in my market. When it gets busy, I just turn Lyft off. I have had numerous weeks where I have received zero Lyft pings.
    • That said, when it is slow, I have had weeks where I made more with Lyft than with Uber. But my market is overwhelmingly an Uber market.
  • Cancellations. I have almost 2,000 Uber rides. Uber has never canceled a ride request while I was en route to pickup. Not one. Lyft -- with their stupid "redispatch" system -- cancels me frequently. At one point, they were canceling almost 50% of the rides. I don't know if they have changed, but they seem to be canceling less now. But either way, a Lyft ping is a very tentative job offer.
    • I have developed a strategy for dealing with "redispatch." If I get redispatched on a regular Lyft ride, I turn the app off for the remainder of that shift. If I get redispatched on a Premium or XL ride, I turn Lyft off for the remainder of that work week.
  • Drive time to pickup. With Uber, my typical drive time to pickup is probably 4 minutes or less. During busy periods, in my market, I often get stacked pings with the new rider waiting for me at, or within 100 yards of, the current rider's dropoff. We often have next riders opening doors for current riders -- with laughter and fistbumps all around.
    • Because both riders and drivers are so widely scattered with Lyft, my average pickup time on the ride request is probably 10 minutes. I don't accept any requests farther out than 10 minutes, so I end up not accepting probably 50% of Lyft requests.
  • Destination filter. Uber's works; Lyft's does not.
  • Annoying Lyft messages. This is not a big deal, but Lyft has pretty much perfected annoying. During busy periods, I have the Lyft app off a lot, so my acceptance rate is usually 100%. Every single Lyft ride request I have ever received has whined, "Your acceptance rate is low!" 100% is too low...uh, okay.
  • Seamless fare adjustments on scammers. With Uber, if someone orders X for 5 or more riders, I drive them and then just fare review it to XL. Doesn't happen often to me because I drive mostly daytime, but I've never been denied the upgrade. Lyft gave me one upgrade (a once in a lifetime concession because I am such an important part of the community), but only does that once no matter how many times you get scammed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with everything you said, but none of those items are important to me.
  • I don't cancel often, so $1.25 doesn't matter
  • I don't work drunk hours, so I take surges when I get them during the hours I work. We don't have the flat fee surge here yet, but when we get it I'll see if how I work my rare surge situations matters. BFD to night drivers, but not important to me.
  • Don't use Instant Pay.
  • I formerly got turnarounds from Uber, but not since our MIA airport queue got so thoroughly corrupted. I drop off and flee now -- let the airport pax enjoy their non-lingual introduction to Miami! Never got a turnaround from Lyft. Not one.
  • Promotions are icing on the cake to me, and I rarely play. But when I do, I find Uber promotions straightforward and legit. Lyft, not so much.
    • Uber promotions are designed to pay you as little as possible to get you to do what they want.
    • Lyft promotions (in my market) are designed to pay nothing at all...although I did stumble into a Primetime once. One PT ride out of maybe 300 Lyft rides! Most of that is probably me, though, because I turn Lyft off when it's busy.
  • Don't care about destination on arrival. Yeah, with Lyft I look at it if the rider is not toes to the curb, but it rarely influences me.
  • Driver support is awful on both sides. No in broken English is the same as no in fluent American.
Here's why I prefer Uber:
  • Money. Money is the reason I drive, so it's rather important to me.
    • My ride requests run about 9:1 Uber:Lyft, so Lyft is definitely "Plan B" for me, and for most drivers in my market. When it gets busy, I just turn Lyft off. I have had numerous weeks where I have received zero Lyft pings.
    • That said, when it is slow, I have had weeks where I made more with Lyft than with Uber. But my market is overwhelmingly an Uber market.
  • Cancellations. I have almost 2,000 Uber rides. Uber has never canceled a ride request while I was en route to pickup. Not one. Lyft -- with their stupid "redispatch" system -- cancels me frequently. At one point, they were canceling almost 50% of the rides. I don't know if they have changed, but they seem to be canceling less now. But either way, a Lyft ping is a very tentative job offer.
    • I have developed a strategy for dealing with "redispatch." If I get redispatched on a regular Lyft ride, I turn the app off for the remainder of that shift. If I get redispatched on a Premium or XL ride, I turn Lyft off for the remainder of that work week.
  • Drive time to pickup. With Uber, my typical drive time to pickup is probably 4 minutes or less. During busy periods, in my market, I often get stacked pings with the new rider waiting for me at, or within 100 yards of, the current rider's dropoff. We often have next riders opening doors for current riders -- with laughter and fistbumps all around.
    • Because both riders and drivers are so widely scattered with Lyft, my average pickup time on the ride request is probably 10 minutes. I don't accept any requests farther out than 10 minutes, so I end up not accepting probably 50% of Lyft requests.
  • Destination filter. Uber's works; Lyft's does not.
  • Annoying Lyft messages. This is not a big deal, but Lyft has pretty much perfected annoying. During busy periods, I have the Lyft app off a lot, so my acceptance rate is usually 100%. Every single Lyft ride request I have ever received has whined, "Your acceptance rate is low!" 100% is too low...uh, okay.
  • Seamless fare adjustments on scammers. With Uber, if someone orders X for 5 or more riders, I drive them and then just fare review it to XL. Doesn't happen often to me because I drive mostly daytime, but I've never been denied the upgrade. Lyft gave me one upgrade (a once in a lifetime concession because I am such an important part of the community), but only does that once no matter how many times you get scammed.
I'm thoroughly impressed by your formatting.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Due to all of the changes that have continued to make our lives tougher and a huge shift in market share I have put UBER on the back burner when Im driving. Here is a quick comparison as to why

UBER LYFT

Mind you that I dont think either of these companies really cares about drivers or passengers, however just the little nuances that I have seen lately have made driving for Lyft a little more palatable..at least in my market
For sure uber much busy than Lyft. Uber worldwide, Lyft nationwide. I do uber and Lyft first come first serve. Before when they was popular did Juno ( realize that they was scum ) I do for money, time count for profit. Some strategies apply. Rating, promotions - all that to make drive for them offen. In reality money serve to pay bills. Therefore give me good trip. Rest I take care. Take care!!! Drive safe and good luck!!! Thanks

Is there a way of telling if it was the pax or Lyft who cancelled?
Read massage. Anyway it's canceled so what difference it make?????

·
Premium Member
11,658 Posts
Is there a way of telling if it was the pax or Lyft who cancelled?
If Snowflake cancels, the message will say "Snowflake canceled their ride." If Lyft cancels you with redispatch, the message will just say, "Your ride has canceled."

Although...I have been on the phone setting up Snowflake's pickup when Lyft lied and said she canceled. And then switched me from Snowflake's Premium ride to a Shared ride with someone I declined. That was on a Friday night during a busy weekend.

It was the first, but not only, time I went offline with Lyft for the rest of the week. And actually, it was during a busy period in Miami and I didn't go back online with Lyft for several weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts

UBER LYFT

No difference between those apps. Time and money. That what I come to my family....

I haven't been boned err redispatched out of a ride in several months. I assumed Lyft retired this dastardly practice.
No, you just became faster and start driving ASAP when requested. Be safe!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.