Uber Drivers Forum banner

Do you Check Uber and Lyft, or just Log into your favorite and drive?

• I always just get on Uber

• I always just get on lyft

• I always get on whichever is busiest

• It depends where I am, and when.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the two platforms are close I have found many reasons to primarily drive for Uber. Another big one I forgot to mention is the fact that when you cancel a trip on Uber, they can no longer call you, instantly. On lyft, after you cancel a ride, they can still call you and obviously at that point its just to yell at you for canceling lol. I really wish lyft disconnected the lines like Uber.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
When I drove for Lyft (deleted the app last week), I never turned it on until I got to the wealthier areas of town because their pax in poorer areas seem to be .... at a loss for words. I also turn Lyft on when Uber is not busy, as others have said, but again only in certain areas of town. Lyft is KNOWN for trying to get you to drive many, many miles out of your way to pick someone up and (in my town) usually for a minimum ride, rarely for a lengthy one. Uber doesn't give you the nasty side eye when you don't accept, although they do seem to put you in double-secret time out when you cancel a ride you've accepted. Anyway, Uber for the most part, since it's busier.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I always have both on, whichever gives me an (acceptable) ride first wins.

Unfortunately, that could take anywhere from 5-20 minutes depending on the day and time and my location.

If either would offer a nice boost I would favor that one, but they are way too cheap in my market. Uber offers 1.4x but only during rush hour and only in the heavy traffic areas. Lyft typically offers +10% and when they feel really generous they offer +20%, and only in half of the heavy traffic areas!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Primarily use Uber then turn on Lyft when Uber is slow. Lyft helps fill in the gaps.. I've also done much better with the Lyft DM getting me home than Uber's DF ever has.
I agree, its obviously a cone that keeps expanding because I have set a destination 45 mins away, and gotten 45 min long trips that end 35 mins away from the final destination... the further away your destination, the better chance of an irrelevant trip unfortunately, and I have directly complained to Uber about this.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Given that Lyft pays me percentage, and Uber pays me by the mile, I will always take Lyft over Uber, I only turn on Uber to set my DF for the airport, or if Lyft is incredibly slow. This past weekend was the first time in almost a year that I had a busier day on Uber than Lyft, and really it was only 3 pax.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
Given that Lyft pays me percentage, and Uber pays me by the mile, I will always take Lyft over Uber, I only turn on Uber to set my DF for the airport, or if Lyft is incredibly slow. This past weekend was the first time in almost a year that I had a busier day on Uber than Lyft, and really it was only 3 pax.
Lyft pays time and distance, SAME AS UBER. You are no longer getting a % of rider's fares.

If you don't believe me, contact them directly and confirm.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
If your driving rideshare and don’t drive for both Uber and Lyft your making a huge mistake.

You run both apps at the same time. There’s no negatives. More requests less downtime. More opportunities for surge/primetime rides. More destination trip. More opportunities for long notification rides.

Sometimes I’m in an area where it’s surging with no primetime or there’s primetime and no surge in the area. Only a foolish driver who can’t multitask would only do one rideshare.

Drivers think it’s only about requests. They say no I stay plenty busy with Uber? What about when it’s surging normally Lyft or Uber is gonna be higher then the other. They don’t inflate fares at the exact same time in the exact same locations?

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Lyft pays time and distance, SAME AS UBER. You are no longer getting a % of rider's fares.

If you don't believe me, contact them directly and confirm.
I have never received anything from Lyft stating this change. Thanks for letting me know. I've reached out to Lyft and asked them for the specific email, when it was sent to my inbox, as I have checked my email back to Jan. 1st, 2018 and have received nothing from them stating this change. However, this is disgusting, guess it's time to reevaluate my relationship with them as well.

·
Premium Member
6,443 Posts
I have never received anything from Lyft stating this change. Thanks for letting me know. I've reached out to Lyft and asked them for the specific email, when it was sent to my inbox, as I have checked my email back to Jan. 1st, 2018 and have received nothing from them stating this change. However, this is disgusting, guess it's time to reevaluate my relationship with them as well.
I believe it is being phased into different areas at different times. I had to sign a new contract a few days ago to continue driving Lyft that contained this verbiage.

I almost always turn on both Uber and Lyft. But I only turn on UberEats when it is slow.

Primarily use Uber then turn on Lyft when Uber is slow. Lyft helps fill in the gaps.. I've also done much better with the Lyft DM getting me home than Uber's DF ever has.
I found Lyft DF mostly useless. It will send me the opposite direction almost as often as the correct direction. Uber's Destination Filter was awesome before, especially with the "arrive by" feature. I used it for maybe 30+ destination trips and all were on time. But they screwed up their algorithms some how and the last two times I used Uber's destination filter it made me 5 minutes late and 20 minutes late respectively. It is SO dumb that they don't give pax destination/EATS destination at the very least on Destination Filter ride pings. Any idiot would have known the 20 minute late ping would have made me late had they known the destination, but I took it anyway assuming it was to pick up far away and come back but instead it was pick up far away and go FARTHER.

There is no point in setting an "arrive by 4PM" on the app if it makes it so you arrive at the pax destination at 4PM, at a location 20 minutes away from your destination! And this happened to me in good traffic too.

What happened to their good algorithm that seemed to work so well before?

I now ONLY use destination filter on both apps when I'm going home. Although at least on non-arrival time Uber DF it has at least generally sent me in the right direction so far, unlike Lyft, where it seems like it only has a 70% chance of sending you in the same direction.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I use both during good weather months

Lyft gets turned off completely between November-March

Ubers deductible is 1k which is bad enough but Lyfts is a mind melting 2.5k!!!!

After filtering out costs and only applying profit Think about how many rides you would have to do on lyft to even break even on that deductible if an accident happens

I'm a part time so basically for me it would be at least 6 months

Uber is also FAR more popular in my area and the PAX just seem to be..........no good way to put it

It is what it is

I will use lyft in slow times to keep the wheels turning but Uber is the Go To service for me

·
Banned
19 Posts
use em both like they use you

both are evil predatory exploitive greedy poor illegal operations

uber youll get 10 requests for every 1 on lyft of course some times vary but doesn't hurt to have both on, sometimes its fun to cancel on a uber to grab a better lyft or visa versa, i mainly keep lyft as an emergency for when uber deactivates you with no notice about once a year for zero reason or some mistake, & im sure the big deactivation will come, then itll take a week or few to buy a burner driver account so have a plan b

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I believe it is being phased into different areas at different times. I had to sign a new contract a few days ago to continue driving Lyft that contained this verbiage.

I almost always turn on both Uber and Lyft. But I only turn on UberEats when it is slow.
If I wanted to do food delivery, I'll go back to delivering pizza, and make more money.

Lyft has rolled this out in the Denver area, I had a nice long email discussion with them this morning, proving that the majority of the time, percentage will pay more than per mile. Of my 8 trips this past weekend on Lyft, 6 of 8 would have paid me AND Lyft more on the old system as compared to the new. One trip was a 100% prime time, which the percentage and mileage rate came out to be within $.03 of each other, but take out the 100% prime time and percentage paid more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I only do Uber, UE, and GH but was talking to a driver the the other day who also does Lyft and he said Lyft has all but died in our area. He said he averages maybe 2 pings a day for Lyft in an 8 hour shift.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts