Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a couple of months now, I've uberingX mostly on weekend and found that I actually make less than min wage after all the expenses, so thinking of driving for Lyft also. But I've few questions for those who drive for both Uber&Lyft, how's the earnings compare? How much more can you make? What percentage of riders are from Lyft? Need to have two cell phones? What other things need to consider? Any advise? Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
When I started driving for both, back in late Feb 2016, Lyft would pay $11 for airport to/from DT.

Uber would pay, and still does pay, $8.50

Then Lyft cut their fares 20% in March to follow Uber to the impoverishing bottom.

I had several Lyft trips that paid over $20 within SA metro back in Feb, Mar.

A couple weeks ago I Uber-drove an pilot from SAT to New Braunfels and a couple miles east, $19.

I've NEVER had an uber trip over $20 in metro SA. And I bet I wouldn't get one now with Lyft after their 20% fare cut.

I remember one day driving with both Uber and Lyft online. 14 trips with Uber, zero trips with Lyft.

$10/hour NET is what I average driving Uber in SA. So if I want to NET $100/day, that's 10 hours driving, 50 hours/week.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info.
Very interesting, I thought there'll be at least 30% trips from Lyft, not close to zero.
I guess Uber is doing a great job of killing Lyft with super low fares and "No tipping policy".
Good for Uber, but very bad for all struggling drivers.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thank you for the info.
Very interesting, I thought there'll be at least 30% trips from Lyft, not close to zero.
I guess Uber is doing a great job of killing Lyft with super low fares and "No tipping policy".
Good for Uber, but very bad for all struggling drivers.
the 14 uber vs 0 lyft was one day, not every day. 10 vs 3 or 4 would be more typical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know that Uber is not a monopoly. Market competition is good and essential.
For the sake of all the drivers, Uber needs a lot more threats from its competitors. I'm sure it's coming soon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is no market competition. Rides are a commodity, like gasoline, or corn, interchangeable.

Uber dominates as the price leader (poverty revenue a couple $ above Fed minimum wage, for drivers is absolutely of no concern to the TNCs) and Lyft "competes" with Uber to the bottom.

Neither company GAFS about drivers, who are easily replaceable commodities, costs to be minimized brutally.

All riders want is a decent car arriving as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

In Austin, riders are playing the TNCs for fools, requesting a trip simultaneously from Fare, Fasten, etc, leaving with whichever driver arrives first, without bothering to cancel the losing driver(s), who has gone offline (not accepting trips, losing opportunity for revenue) to drive to the rider and gets paid nothing.

The precious, but abusive, riders pay no penalty (no cancellation or n0-show fees) for stiffing drivers.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
All good points satxsatx, but drivers in Austin have multiple choices, and most, from what I've been told, are actually making more than with U/L.
It's not as easy for them, because every app operates a little bit differently, but they now have the ability to give prearranged rides, riders can have favored drivers and drivers can build a repeat client base.
The downside for the companies competing in Austin is with the big 2 in place in other cities, it's difficult to get any traction with a client base in those cities. San Antonio City Council should take a page from the Austin playbook and make fingerprinting mandatory again so drivers have a fair shot at making money.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I asked my councilman Ron Nirenburg about the "pilot phase" under which U/L have been operating and was to expire 1 JUL 16.

He said "no change", continues as before.

A lot of Fare and Fasten drivers are making a lot of money in Austin, like $800+/week, sorta like U/L drivers were before U/L cut their rates way down in the past couple years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts