Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
And, keep in mind those calculations were done before the rate decrease, and the weeks leading up to Christmas, which was the most profitable time last year with all the holiday parties and people in spending moods (being XL and Select made a huge profit difference during the holidays). Move that research 1 month later after New Years, or any month since then, and I'd bet you could take $3-5/hr off their calculations for the average X driver.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I had always assumed that a 'technology company' like Uber would have some AI expert system analyzing the ride patterns, but instead they use a spreadsheet. Admittedly, a lot can be done with spreadsheets. I took a college level business course on how to use Excel to solve business problems. We even set up flight schedules for a fictitious airline.

So the $68 billion is used for Microsoft Office licenses instead of renting cloud time or IBM Watson?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had always assumed that a 'technology company' like Uber would have some AI expert system analyzing the ride patterns, but instead they use a spreadsheet. Admittedly, a lot can be done with spreadsheets. I took a college level business course on how to use Excel to solve business problems. We even set up flight schedules for a fictitious airline.

So the $68 billion is used for Microsoft Office licenses instead of renting cloud time or IBM Watson?
Uber is never about innovation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Uber has enough data to know the effects of price cuts on drivers. Instead of looking at aggregate and average earnings, they should be comparing "same driver earnings". This would be similar to the way retailers compare year over year results with same store sales.

They could look at earnings of drivers who continued to work before and after a price cut and compare how the price cut affected them. There are still a lot on unknown factors but this would be one of the most useful comparisons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good article. But what are they going to do about it?
Just a thought.

RC
What can Uber drivers do about it?

Stop driving in Houston for a week and see what happens?

This is far fetched because there's always that non boycott group that goes in opposite direction to cash out life changing money.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
What can Uber drivers do about it?

Stop driving in Houston for a week and see what happens?

This is far fetched because there's always that non boycott group that goes in opposite direction to cash out life changing money.
There were a good twenty-five cars in front of me at the TNC inspection station today, and that was before they shut down temporarily due to the brief rain storm. Many had temp tags and license plate holders from Sterling McCall, or Russell and Smith. So, there are plenty of new drivers onboarding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts