Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a driver for uber over 2yrs now and in the course of those years I notice that if you drive around with no pickup they turn your app off. Today I set my destination for my home from the airport which is about 25-30mins away I didnt get a rider going that direction. I know you may miss other rides if not going in that direction. But didnt even make it to my house. I looked to see if the app was still up. They turned it off. And on top of that they took one of my destinations and I was 7 miles away from my house. One other time I was driving and i dropped off a passenger and i was riding around for about 30 mins I went to look and noticed
They had turned my app off...if we are suppose to be self employed as they call it we should be able to drive for an hours with out being turned off. Pure sneaky BS.
I'll tell you this the OTHER (pinky) ride share company does not do that and they dont turn your app off before you get to your destination..... Has this happen to anyone else? If so call the 800 number and
complain if they get enough as they told me over the phone they will look into it. Yea ok
Then they give you some BS answer well it couldbe the app...I told them I do everything you tell us to do. UNINSTALL REINSTALL, TURN PH OFFTURN IT BACK ON, UPDATE APP...GRRRRR!!PINKY IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I have been a driver for uber over 2yrs now and in the course of those years I notice that if you drive around with no pickup they turn your app off. Today I set my destination for my home from the airport which is about 25-30mins away I didnt get a rider going that direction. I know you may miss other rides if not going in that direction. But didnt even make it to my house. I looked to see if the app was still up. They turned it off. And on top of that they took one of my destinations and I was 7 miles away from my house. One other time I was driving and i dropped off a passenger and i was riding around for about 30 mins I went to look and noticed
They had turned my app off...if we are suppose to be self employed as they call it we should be able to drive for an hours with out being turned off. Pure sneaky BS.
I'll tell you this the OTHER (pinky) ride share company does not do that and they dont turn your app off before you get to your destination..... Has this happen to anyone else? If so call the 800 number and
complain if they get enough as they told me over the phone they will look into it. Yea ok
Then they give you some BS answer well it couldbe the app...I told them I do everything you tell us to do. UNINSTALL REINSTALL, TURN PH OFFTURN IT BACK ON, UPDATE APP...GRRRRR!!PINKY IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER...
who's Pinky? asking for a friend,jmo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ACTUALLY.... pinky used to time out every 15 minutes and burn a DF use each time

Verrrry very obnoxious
I've been with them as well for 2 yrs never had that problem if it was an issue before they fixed it...just wanted to know if anyone had this issue or even if they know it or not.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The OP’s story sounds backwards. Maybe it’s a market-based thing, but the pink company is notorious for kicking drivers using DF off line. Uber never seems to do that. This morning, for the heck of it, I set my Uber DF for Louisville, thinking maybe I’d get a lucky ride on my way there for a meeting from Northeast of Cinci. I did manage to get a ride to the Cinci airport, but my DF never kicked me off line for the next, riderless, 85 miles/over an hour. That was for X. I’ve lounged for well over an hour with DF set in Select mode.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I guess i’m getting confused with the terms “turn off app” and even “logged the person off” .. neither of which has ever happened to me..
So I am going with the assumption that what he’s trying to say is “status changed from online to offline”.
..and the only time that has happened is after ignoring multiple pings or if in the airport queue hitting ‘no thanks’ to 2 or 3 pings.
Lyft OTOH, will change your status from online to offline while in DF mode after 15 minutes if you aren’t moving.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
When you drive a certain amount of minutes with no rides they turn your app off. They said they didnt know if we forgot to turn it off...I've asked other drivers in the airport queue and have had the same problem.
If you do not have the screen on and the app on top it will time out.

You'll get a notification asking if you you want to stay online. Its easy to miss. Especially since the last Android update. Sounds like this is what is happening here.

·
Super Moderator
6,458 Posts
What do you mean "turn your app off" ??? Do you mean, in the app, your status is changed to "off line" or do you mean the app is closed/exited ?
With Uber, if you are online but with the Uber app in the background, then after some period of time (maybe 15 minutes?) it will ask you if you want to stay online, if you don't respond then I think it will go offline. AFAIK if you have the Uber app open on your screen, it will stay online indefinitely. Anyway, maybe this is what he's referring to.

Lyft OTOH, will change your status from online to offline while in DF mode after 15 minutes if you aren't moving.
They recently extended it to a half hour.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the app on top or in the background?
On top so I can see it...before I got to my set Dest. It cut off. I've been online riding around hoping to get a ping. It was a Sunday so it wasnt that busy. I was driving for about 30 mins w/o a ping I heard a ping but it wasnt a ride it was uber asking me if I wanted to stay online which was weird since I figured I should be able to turn my meter when I want too. Well I said yes but good thing I went back and looked it still turned my app off. What's the use of asking if you're going to turn me off anyway. I've drove around in very busy high traffic areas games, bars and nights ping so I said let me look they shut the app off which made me lose money. Not a happy camper.

Never had that happen unless i dont accept several rides in a row.
It will turn off my Destination way before I get to it. Its has happened a couple of times. I have been told they may do it because if it's on too long with no rides they think we left it on by accident...other excuse something's wrong with your app...I also have been what I call punishment for not taking a ride. I was going into the airport and I got a ping to go back 3 miles to where I just came from..but once you enter AZ airport there is no way you can turn around without going thru the whole airport to get back to where the ping was, i got in the queue at 1-10 i had to be 4th car sitting in a 2.5x didnt get hit one ride. I saw at least 15 drivers that came in after me leave. I guess that was my punishment...so I know about app punishment

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
It sounds like you had it on in the background . You keep saying you went back which implies you had another app running in the foreground . If you are running another app just switch to the Uber app every once and a while . That should resolve the issue .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like you had it on in the background . You keep saying you went back which implies you had another app running in the foreground . If you are running another app just switch to the Uber app every once and a while . That should resolve the issue .
No went back means when my phone screen goes black and I log back in for me to see the queue...lol sorry I should have been for precise..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts