Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is only my second thread I've generated, after experiencing almost a month on the road stopping Aug 1st to wait and see what happens, having read lots and contributed a little bit, mainly my original thread, I have decided to call it a day.

I am a 45yo Australian male, self employed for over 20years (but lately not been going so well), a wife that works part time and 3 children aged between 11 & 15, living in outer eastern Melbourne. Prior was ADF.

I was attracted to Uber mainly by the flexibility so I could still carry on in my business when I got some much needed work. I am fortunate enough to have taken my very nice late model vehicle out on the road to do Uber. Riders in almost every ride commented on my vehicle, adding similar comments in my reviews along with my service and personality etc. I had the occasional rude, obnoxious, vulgar or intoxicated rider however all in all I found riders to be very pleasant and it was my pleasure to get them safely and promptly to their desired destination.

I'd have to say that overall, Uber Riders are ok. In most instances they are tech savvy, professional, educated and intelligent people. Culturally mixed which is wonderful, generally chatty with a gender ratio of close to 50/50, aged mostly between 22 to 55. Most of whom I might add have a far greater disposable income than myself.

I like many of you, understood from my single face to face 15min meeting with Uber (Richmond, Melb.) was of the very firm belief that "should my vehicle, my riders, myself and other property and people would be well protected by Uber should my own insurer not come to the party". I also was of the understanding that UBER VALUED ITS UBER PARTNERS (drivers) with the potential to generate a good return for the driver being Uber's equal top priority to providing the rider a clean, safe, reliable and affordable service.

But how wrong was this impression and verbal surety !

Uber are worse than our politicians.........and that's saying something ! They dabble around the questions posed to them via email, never giving a direct and firm response about ANYTHING. They continually rip drivers off with price decreases, despite the so called 10% increase today (which is not 10% but rather a smoke screen), they can not and will not assure drivers in writing about their insurance back up policy and from what I have read and researched 'the driver is on his/her own if an accident unfortunately occurs', the minimum trip rate of $6 is SLAVE LABOR while the base/time/km rate is too low to make even a humble profit. The surge is also another contentious issue that I question with its authenticity of operation.
In other words 'I think it is dodgy' !

Uber seems to be signing up more and more drivers at a RAPID rate, many of whom are dirty, smelly with not such nice vehicles and speaking limited english. The very driver the riders are trying to avoid by not using the accredited taxi service. It boggles me that Uber are doing such a thing as it seems to contradict Uber's own goals. Alas, it is only money that Uber has in its vision, not riders, drivers or a superior rideshare service.

I do expect in times to come that Uber won't survive, being a short lived craze, especially here in Australia it seems. It can't survive if it continues down this path as the tech savvy, professional, educated and intelligent people will turn away.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DRIVING FOR UBER then by all means give it a go. I did and I enjoyed 98% of it. Great meeting other people and great driving here and there BUT I wanted to, and needed to MAKE SOME MONEY. I've done my time, done the sums, done Q&A and done my own research AND NOW I AM DONE WITH UBER. The $$ and the risks are just not worth it for me.

To conclude: Uber won't change but they should increase fares by at least another 20-25% on top of todays so called 10% increase. There are a few good , smart people on this forum such as SDA who are trying, working and campaigning hard to see that Uber looks after its drivers. If you're going to continue to Uber then support these people and stick with them. The introduction of GST is a pain and a costly administrative process for the driver but drivers must obey tax laws. It would be so much easier and cheaper for the driver if Uber did charge and collect the GST but they won't so drivers must. The ATO is correct in applying the GST to the full fare before commissions and other fees are paid. That is how it works. Uber benefits more and they know that so they will never 'really' dispute it on the drivers behalf. Uber is just another o/s company avoiding paying tax in Australia because they can and don't care about Australia.

Remember though, that you only need to tender a tax receipt to a rider that incurs a trip over $82.50, and even then you only have to provide if they ask you for one. So carry a small receipt/tax book and include your ABN and keep a copy for your quarterly BAS lodgements.

I'll stick around on this forum for a few days or so but until then IF YOU'RE GOING TO DRIVE BE CAREFUL, THE RISK IS HUGE ! Oh, the MONEY, IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET Xcited ABOUT. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Thanks for your well thought and written assessment of your Uber experience. Isn't it sad that a company with such potential, has chosen nothing more than lying to their workforce, exploiting their drivers and bullying their way into markets with total disregard for laws and moral decency? I wish you success in your future endeavors. Take comfort in the fact that you were intelligent enough to get out quickly. The writing is certainly on the wall.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is only my second thread I've generated, after experiencing almost a month on the road stopping Aug 1st to wait and see what happens, having read lots and contributed a little bit, mainly my original thread, I have decided to call it a day.

I am a 45yo Australian male, self employed for over 20years (but lately not been going so well), a wife that works part time and 3 children aged between 11 & 15, living in outer eastern Melbourne. Prior was ADF.

I was attracted to Uber mainly by the flexibility so I could still carry on in my business when I got some much needed work. I am fortunate enough to have taken my very nice late model vehicle out on the road to do Uber. Riders in almost every ride commented on my vehicle, adding similar comments in my reviews along with my service and personality etc. I had the occasional rude, obnoxious, vulgar or intoxicated rider however all in all I found riders to be very pleasant and it was my pleasure to get them safely and promptly to their desired destination.

I'd have to say that overall, Uber Riders are ok. In most instances they are tech savvy, professional, educated and intelligent people. Culturally mixed which is wonderful, generally chatty with a gender ratio of close to 50/50, aged mostly between 22 to 55. Most of whom I might add have a far greater disposable income than myself.

I like many of you, understood from my single face to face 15min meeting with Uber (Richmond, Melb.) was of the very firm belief that "should my vehicle, my riders, myself and other property and people we'd be well protected by Uber should my own insurer not come to the party". I also was of the understanding that UBER VALUED ITS UBER PARTNERS (drivers) with the potential to generate a good return for the driver being Uber's equal top priority to providing the rider a clean, safe, reliable and affordable service.

Uber are worse than our politicians.........and that's saying something ! They dabble around the questions posed to them via email, never giving a direct and firm response about ANYTHING. They continually rip drivers off with price decreases, despite the so called 10% increase today (which is not 10% but rather a smoke screen), they can not and will not assure drivers in writing about their insurance back up policy and from what I have read and researched 'the driver is on his/her own if an accident unfortunately occurs', the minimum trip rate of $6 is SLAVE LABOR while the base/time/km rate is too low to make even a humble profit. The surge is also another contentious issue that I question with its authenticity of operation.

Uber seems to be signing up more and more drivers at a RAPID rate, many of whom are dirty, smelly with not such nice vehicles and speaking limited english. The very driver the riders are trying to avoid by not using the accredited taxi service. It boggles me that Uber are doing such a thing as it seems to contradict Uber's own goals. Alas, it is only money that Uber has in its vision, not riders, drivers or a superior rideshare service.

I do expect in times to come that Uber won't survive, being a short lived craze, especially here in Australia it seems. It can't survive if it continues down this path as the tech savvy, professional, educated and intelligent people will turn away.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DRIVING FOR UBER then by all means give it a go. I did and I enjoyed 98% of it. Great meeting other people and great driving here and there BUT I wanted to, and needed to MAKE SOME MONEY. I've done time, done the sums, done Q&A and done my own research AND NOW I AM DONE WITH UBER. The $$ and the risks are just not worth it for me.

To conclude: Uber won't change but they should increase fares by at least another 20-25% on top of todays so called 10% increase. There are a few good , smart people on this forum such as SDA who are trying, working and campaigning hard to see that Uber looks after its drivers. If you're going to continue to Uber then support these people and stick with them. The introduction of GST is a pain and a costly administrative process for the driver but drivers must obey tax laws. It would be so much easier and cheaper for the driver if Uber did charge and collect the GST but they won't so drivers must. The ATO is correct in applying the GST to the full fare before commissions and other fees are paid. That is how it works. Uber benefits more and they know that so they will never 'really' dispute it on the drivers behalf. Uber is just another o/s company avoiding paying tax in Australia because they can and don't care about Australia.

Remember though, that you only need to tender a tax receipt to a rider that incurs a trip over $82.50, and even then you only have to provide if they ask you for one. So carry a small receipt/tax book and include your ABN and keep a copy for your quarterly BAS lodgements.

I'll stick around on this forum for a few days or so but until then IF YOU'RE GOING TO DRIVE BE CAREFUL, THE RISK IS HUGE ! Oh, the MONEY, IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET Xcited ABOUT. Good Luck.
What an insightful summary. Absolutely spot on. Should be compulsory reading for all newbie Uber Partners.
I too, have not and will not drive post August 1. I miss the extra dollars in a tight family budget, but the risk/ return is just not worth it. You are now just a tax collector, running a charitable transport service, who will end up with a burnt out car, while enriching a foreign Corporation who contribute nothing to Australia.
May I suggest to anyone who has acrued any assets in their life, please do not drive for Uber. You are placing these assets in major risk. Someone, somewhere, sometime is going to get sued as a driver for Uber. I personally picked up the Tech Savvy, the Cultured, the Worldly Wise, and the plain Wealthy. It would take just one idiot running a red light or a distracted tail gater to collide with you and your whole LIFE will CHANGE for the worse. Chances are, and pray it is not, you, but it will happen to someone one day as a Uber Driver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The following rates for 2015-16 apply from 1 July 2015.
Taxable income

Tax on this income

0 - $18,200

Nil

$18,201 - $37,000 - 19c for each $1 over $18,200

$37,001 - $80,000- $3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over $37,000

for anyone with a real primary job , should u be paying 32% of the fare as tax + 10% gst +20% uber commisson+ petrol + no insurance+ loose u centrelink benefits . uber only works for people who expect to earn less than 18200 /annum

·
Registered
537 Posts

I like many of you, understood from my single face to face 15min meeting with Uber (Richmond, Melb.) was of the very firm belief that "should my vehicle, my riders, myself and other property and people we'd be well protected by Uber should my own insurer not come to the party". I also was of the understanding that UBER VALUED ITS UBER PARTNERS (drivers) with the potential to generate a good return for the driver being Uber's equal top priority to providing the rider a clean, safe, reliable and affordable service.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DRIVING FOR UBER then by all means give it a go. I did and I enjoyed 98% of it. Great meeting other people and great driving here and there BUT I wanted to, and needed to MAKE SOME MONEY. I've done time, done the sums, done Q&A and done my own research AND NOW I AM DONE WITH UBER. The $$ and the risks are just not worth it for me.

Good morning! Sure is a very well written, insightful, intelligent and unbiased account. Thanks, for the great idea sc00ba...

May I please publish it on the SDA site on the advice to new members page as a case study, I'm thinking we create a new page on the advice page called 'share driver stories' or a 'word from the wise' (suggestions?)

(attribute it to ? NotXcited? Former Uber Driver?)

NotX, I cannot resist asking you to let me republish this after such a kind plug for SDA, with or without it's a great piece but it just ices the cake for me!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good morning! Sure is a very well written, insightful, intelligent and unbiased account. Thanks, for the great idea sc00ba...

May I please publish it on the SDA site on the advice to new members page as a case study, I'm thinking we create a new page on the advice page called 'share driver stories' or a 'word from the wise' (suggestions?)

(attribute it to ? NotXcited? Former Uber Driver?)

NotX, I cannot resist asking you to let me republish this after such a kind plug for SDA, with or without it's a great piece but it just ices the cake for me!
I am happy for any republisher to use my part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone and thanks for your kind words and support of my post, I'm most flattered.

Yes, I am happy for you Ghostwren to use all or part of my post in any way for which you see it might help your fight and for others considering driving for Uber. I like your great idea in creating an advice page, 'Words from the Wise' sounds like the perfect title.

Thank you again and all the best to each of you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well said notXcited. I too was much like you and needed to get some cash in as I was made redundant in January. Saw the Uber add on Seek, did a little research, some calculations and came to the conclusion that this gig only needed to make me around $250 p/w to keep my head above the red line and stay in the black. So I decided to head of with my paperwork to one of the onboarding sessions in Melbourne's western suburbs. One concern was the insurance requirements and they assured me that me, my car and passengers were covered by their policy. Well like most I decided to give it a go. After a couple of trips I thought this is great, it took a couple of weeks to figure out the best times to drive which for me was on Fri & Sat evenings, usually after the footy I would hit the road for 4-6 hrs. After that first couple of weeks I stumbled across a real job which was a 3-4 day permanent part time position so life was looking great. Kept doing the Uber because I was enjoying it. You see if you go out at the right times it is easy money, I was getting around $1 p/kilometer on a good night. A couple of months back I found you guy's here at UberPeople and soon discovered that there were some real concerns regarding insurance and alike but thought I would march forward till at least the GST deadline. So now I'm joining you notXcited and hanging my driving gloves up. You know if Uber just stopped trying to fight the system here in Australia and went out of their way to try and make it a legal alternate to taxi's then maybe they would succeed quicker. Oh before I sign off when I went to the onboarding there were around 40 others there. 2 of us were caucasian and quite a few of the other did not speak gooder english while a handful also presented their taxi tickets.

Just thought I would share with you all. Maybe this is the start of something and in the future we may be able to terrorize the the roads once more in a legal and insured manner. :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Good morning everyone and thanks for your kind words and support of my post, I'm most flattered.

Yes, I am happy for you Ghostwren to use all or part of my post in any way for which you see it might help your fight and for others considering driving for Uber. I like your great idea in creating an advice page, 'Words from the Wise' sounds like the perfect title.

Thank you again and all the best to each of you.
Thanks heaps NotX!

It's posted: http://melbuberdriverassoc.wix.com/melbuberdriverassoc#!advice-for-new-share-drivers/dgtg3
and also has it's own page http://melbuberdriverassoc.wix.com/melbuberdriverassoc#!words-from-the-wise/jaa9o

now to give it a blast!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
. uber only works for people who expect to earn less than 18200 /annum
I would argue if you are driving purely for Uber, then it only works if you are earning less than about $30,000 per annum, because if you are just driving Uber, you'll easily find $12,000+ in deductions for the financial year running your car into the ground - bringing your taxable income down under the $18,200 threshold.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Nice post notXcited and also by UberRon.

It shows me a little bit of faith that it seems like most Australians, as desperate as we are to keep our head above water, will not sell our souls to drive for Uber.

It still boggles the mind that Uber wants to provide a superior service to the taxi's yet they want to do it at half the cost. The dregs of our society shouldn't be the key core customers - why Uber doesn't charge the same as taxi's and provide a superior service still confuses me.

My experience in Brisbane with the Uber management has been this - these are some very well qualified and educated people, some very impressive resumes amongst them - but OMG are they stupid. Too many that are too young, and have little to no life experience being in charge of a company of this size, and it's not just Australia, it's world wide with Uber - they like the young "disruptive" crowd running their business and they honestly have no idea. They are going to run into trouble here in Australia, because I honestly think Australian's are better educated than a lot of other countries and drivers here simply will not put up with this crap.

·
Registered
537 Posts

It shows me a little bit of faith that it seems like most Australians, as desperate as we are to keep our head above water, will not sell our souls to drive for Uber.

It still boggles the mind that Uber wants to provide a superior service to the taxi's yet they want to do it at half the cost. The dregs of our society shouldn't be the key core customers - why Uber doesn't charge the same as taxi's and provide a superior service still confuses me.

My experience in Brisbane with the Uber management has been this - these are some very well qualified and educated people, some very impressive resumes amongst them - but OMG are they stupid. Too many that are too young, and have little to no life experience being in charge of a company of this size, and it's not just Australia, it's world wide with Uber - they like the young "disruptive" crowd running their business and they honestly have no idea. They are going to run into trouble here in Australia, because I honestly think Australian's are better educated than a lot of other countries and drivers here simply will not put up with this crap.
It's not just the education, it's the Fair Go. Nuf said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Notx. You have truly summarised my sentiments and thank you.
I am a similar 43 yo uber x driver that did it for the extra money. Was nice to have an uber fri and sat nights instead of getting drunk at a pub.
Don't get me wrong I have a great job but the pocket money was tempting.
With the aug 1 tax changes I have decided to stop driving. The insurance risks far outweighed any money I was making. The ato paperwork is not worth my time.
Surely uber is following the group and just wanted them to know that a lot of the decent and sensible people have seen the writing on the wall. I for one will not be driving my new Mazda 3 anymore. Pity I missed the compliments I always got about my car !
Uber wake up before it's too late. You will be left with drivers willing to take on big risk including driving dangerously in cheap cars worth a grand or two to make the numbers ! And in 6 months customers will rather walks from st kilda to chapel st !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well said all of you. I agreed with you anOzzieUber , same her in Melbourne Uber office, young kids and have no idea about anything customer service,
driving and dealing with customer issue. Soon quality drivers will go , and they left with dirty , smelly cars and drivers, with no idea where M.C.G is?

All Uber got do is , very simple, drop the fare just under 5- 10 % cheaper than taxi and lock it in. The drivers will make some decent money.
Otherwise Uber become another Taxi company with rude drives,dirty cars no idea where they going. AS they say ,YOU PAY PEANUTS ,YOU
GET THE MONKEYS. look taxi industry.

·
Registered
412 Posts
the taxis are dead !!!
image.jpg
my prediction is that in 3 years time 70%of all the fares in Melbourne will be done by UBER or any future simular company and thats the reality...Now i am truly sad that some drivers feel that they are hard done by uber but there is no quiting after one month thats so not on...this platform has saved my family it is flexible and as long as u r smart about it u can make the money ....

·
Registered
580 Posts

100% agree on this.
Being regulated will kill Uber in Australia.

·
Registered
537 Posts
100% agree on this.
Being regulated will kill Uber in Australia.
This could depend on the regulations. I think they could be very bad for #sharedrivers if we don't take the chance to weight into the debate.

I think regulations might level the playing field for taxis and others and have the potential of making our contracts fairer.

For instance regulations that protect the consumer from too high rates is a good idea that Taxis need to comply with now.

Taxis companies / cabbies have a model where the company covers all costs of the drivers and also have a minimum 55% they must pay drivers.

This model needs to be changed and adapted for share drivers who cover their own costs.

Ideas for discussion:
  • Add to the current maximum price protection for consumers, some income protection for drivers like a maximum allowable base price drop per 6 month period....let them offer free rides or discounted rides if they want but the drivers costs don't reduce for these promotion periods so nor should our income.
  • Facilitators provide commercial insurance to 'fill the gap' in coverage for when share drivers are online and have no pax.
  • A SD licence that has a low initial admin fee (eg: tick a box on license renewal & pay small additional amount) then incremental charges proportional to the individual share drivers actual on road activity, not one cover all $22,000 per year Taxi License, nor a once off $40,000 HC License because this simply does not work with the causal nature of the share driving business model: market pricing like this forces share driving to lose something essential to what it is: part time, supplementary to income, low entry fee, low financial commitment as there is zero return on investment, we have nothing to sell when we finish up except beat up car which will probably need to replace for future private use anyway. It would be easy to implement a fee such as this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The economics of fixed costs dictate that a hire vehicle has to be on the road earning 24/7 if at all possible. Or at least earning premium rates for a part of the weekly cycle. This necessitates multiple drivers per vehicle to spread these costs. I just can't see Uber lowest common denominator model surviving a regulatory overhaul to include it. Uber promote the casual and part-time benefits to U drivers, but when the Gov't piles on licensing and hire vehicle registration etc, only the 6o-80 hour week drivers will survive, and at Uber pricing, end up with a worn out wreck.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts