Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too sure they can predict an exact fare (traffic, road diversions etc)...I'm guessing they think the sting of a surge appears less if it's quantified rather than shown as a multiplier of the base fare...time will tell...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/g...p/news-story/13ed44a65e060ade762db04f81726693

Uber to tell riders their fare before pick-up
JUNE 24, 20162:13PM

Uber is changing the way it prices its rides. Picture: Thomas Oliva/AFP

Danielle FurfaroNew York Post
UBER will soon tell all of its customers exactly how much their fare will be before they step into the car - rather than a price estimate that often changes.

The company has begun testing the new system in the Big Apple, four other US cities and parts of India.

It will be available to everyone who uses the service within the next few months, company officials said on Friday. Only a small percentage of its customers have the option now.

"Knowing how much a ride will cost in advance is clearly something riders appreciate," reads a blog Uber posted on its website. "And we now want more riders globally to benefit from this feature.

Uber's pricing system won't change at all. The company will still use surge pricing.

But now customers won't see if the rate is 1.5 times or three times the base rate. Instead, they will only see the fare. A small notice at the bottom of the app will say "fares are higher due to increased demand" when surge pricing is activated.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
so the next big app is perpetual 'dutch' auction fares .... this soon an alternate to replace Uber who will go the way of taxi services for not keeping up....
already in the States like Columbus OH.... this is where a fare is nominated for a set trip and drivers (in vicinity) can underbid/tender to win the job in time limit (think reverse eBay).. it is only offered to drivers in vicinity but leads to escalating gazumping, the rider chooses the winning bidder (not always lowest price) ... it operates in rider dominated environments ... prob wont work in Sydney unless it is completely deregulated costwise (any entrepreneurs out there?) ... and 'star' ratings become irrelevant...it depends alot on the social environment ... it's operating close to the poverty line ... for both driver and rider, with commensurate levels of amenity and service .. but it has a market...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So how much does the driver get paid? Is the driver fee still based on km + time, or is that fixed price also?
I know there is already the estimate, but I think uber needs to make that "easier" to get to. ie, entering addres *after* submitting the pick up request, and you should still be able to see the price estimate.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Obviously, the way of the future for the rider environment is pre-set fares ..... knowing the full and final ride price before commiting to the ride ..... the interesting part will be if Uber gives the same info to the driver (ie. final price and final destination) ... drivers' acceptance rates will be an issue until the rider community adjusts their fare expectations.... eventually, I guess a balance may be reached BUT there will be a flux of desperado or 'rookie' drivers who will constantly underbid 'market' value and keep prices deflated..... this wont worry Uber (still get 20%) or riders .... UNLESS the supply of desperado drivers evaporates ... THEN the 'buyer's" market will be in trouble...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I actually doubt this will work, how many of your Uber trips are from the entered start direct to the pre entered destination with no detours or extra waiting/stops?

I would think most people are more than happy with a ranged price or else a approximate price. Adjustments will be acceptable.

I don't think bidding per job is a sensible idea at all...... unless you look at what gpu is doing and extend that further into bidding wars.... but i don't see that being useful.
People don't want to wait for your bidding war they want a car as quickly as possible for a reasonable fee

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I hope u r right for our sakes BUT bartering for rides happens all round the world in TWC's ... tourists live with haggling for rides ...
THE difference here is technology can and will facilitate the process ... people may not want to "wait" for a bidding war .. BUT they dont have to anymore ... bidding wars take place in seconds only ... just watch the last 15 seconds of an eBay auction to see that ... it can be ruthless but effective.... that IS the way of the future, Uber can evolve or go the way of the dinosaur, dodo and taxi ....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I hope u r right for our sakes BUT bartering for rides happens all round the world in TWC's ... tourists live with haggling for rides ...
THE difference here is technology can and will facilitate the process ... people may not want to "wait" for a bidding war .. BUT they dont have to anymore ... bidding wars take place in seconds only ... just watch the last 15 seconds of an eBay auction to see that ... it can be ruthless but effective.... that IS the way of the future, Uber can evolve or go the way of the dinosaur, dodo and taxi ....
Remember, the ebay auction lasts a week or more, sure the last 15 seconds is when the "bids" are all placed, but all of the action happens much earlier. Like I said, fine if you want to book your trip to the airport a week early, but not when you are standing on the pavement in the cold/rain and want to go home *now*.
I also think that it's something Australia should definitely avoid if possible. It's a great way to get people to work for nothing.... Options include stealing a car to use for Uber, so you don't need to cover the maintenance/petrol costs, etc...
I think it sort of works in "third world" countries, I don't think I've seen bidding wars for taxis in any "first world" country.... not that I'm the most travelled. Even in the Caribbean islands, the "taxi" drivers seemed to have a "standard" rate, they all gave the same price when asked.

PS, none of that is bartering, bartering means you trade one service for another good or service, I think you mean bidding (ie, the transaction will still be cash based).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts