Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Some weasel lawyer would come up with a bullshit excuse to explain that away . It’s what we always knew , thanks for the screenshot
They don't have to explain nothing. You agreed to the sliding pay scale with your last agreement that you okay to go online with.

Besides without a rate card we've got nothing to compare it except for screenshots like this.

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Proof is in the pudding! Same ride, from same pickup location, same time of day. Only difference is surge ride is around +$.40 more, not +$4.75 shown. They simply deduct the surge amount from the price of the original fare!
View attachment 686902
View attachment 686901
Uber's been doing that with Eats for years. They simply move the deck chairs around. On one trip there's a "surge", then next trip Uber might call it a "trip supplement" or "boost".

Black box pay systems are inherently corrupt.

· Registered
1,982 Posts
Proof is in the pudding! Same ride, from same pickup location, same time of day. Only difference is surge ride is around +$.40 more, not +$4.75 shown. They simply deduct the surge amount from the price of the original fare!
View attachment 686902
View attachment 686901
Ok, let's try to make sense of this logically.

First trip is 12.55 miles.
First pay is $12.92 - $4.75 surge = $8.17
First trip without surge is paid .651 cents a mile.

Second trip is 12.66 miles.
Second trip pay is $12.46
Second trip is paid .984 cents a mile.

First trip with surge is paid $1.03 a mile.

So $1.03 - .984 = 0.046 cents a mile more for the surge trip.

The difference between the two trip lengths is a mere .11 miles.

So .11 x .046 is 0.00506

Yep, we are being f*cked. 😆

However I've seen surges as high as $40, even on short trips. So what I think is occurring is for low surge amounts they are just getting the ball rolling by getting drivers to turn on their apps without charging the pax extra yet.

If demand gets really high likely the pax start getting hit with high surges next.

I don't pay attention to surges,.first of all it only applies if one is looking at the app, and unless very close, a waste of time and gas chasing it. If nearby when one occurs I would stay in the area to get the run it says should be coming soon based on records. Same pax or something.

· Premium Member
361 Posts
Forget Surge.
Looks at the offer. If it's not paying what you want it to pay you based on all of the info they provide you with the ping, then decline it.
It's a new world.
But then you lose the surge. 🙄
Uber has been extra sneaky and slimey lately. The holiday spirit is in the air!
This sucks badly now. I used to hustle and rely on extra holiday earnings to get me through the slow winter months. Now there’s nothing to fall back on.

· Registered
60 Posts
But then you lose the surge. 🙄
This sucks badly now. I used to hustle and rely on extra holiday earnings to get me through the slow winter months. Now there’s nothing to fall back on.
Trust me I know it sucks. Especially at a time when price of fuel and just about everything is skyrocketing due to inflation and ubers response is sneaky tactics, lower pay, lower promotions, bring in features drivers hate. Hasnt felt like a company that wants to help or has workers best interests in a long time and even more so these days. But there are plenty of side hustles that pay alot better than uber. Personally have been thinking of getting into photography would have to invest in a camera and photography classes but once the skill level is up 200 to 500$ + a hour is possible.

· Premium Member
3,075 Posts
For markets that have up front pricing, The Surge is irrelevant anyways. It literally carries no merit
Less relevant... but still far from totally irrelevant in UFF markets. You're not going to get $40 on a 10 minute trip without surge, ever. If your market is lit up like a Christmas tree with double digit surge, you can be damn sure you're gonna be making A LOT more money in that than if there is little or no surge anywhere. So, it still has some relevance.

· Super Moderator
14,117 Posts
Less relevant... but still far from totally irrelevant in UFF markets. You're not going to get $40 on a 10 minute trip without surge, ever. If your market is lit up like a Christmas tree with double digit surge, you can be damn sure you're gonna be making A LOT more money in that than if there is little or no surge anywhere. So, it still has some relevance.
I've seen requests come in with no surge paying higher than requests that come in with a surge. Often times they're lowering the fare amount to offset the surge amount. The Surge means absolutely nothing anymore

· Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a $34 surge the other night, it was a 15 mile trip so trip itself should have been $11-$13 with new UFF. With $34 surge the ride was $39. So w/o the surge the 15 mile ride would have been $5?! That should have been $45 fare with the surge. The surge is absoutley irrelevant now. Someone mentioned above, with no rate card, they can set the fare at whatever they want.

· Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try accepting and canceling instead of declining. It works in the Chicago market to keep the surge. Maybe it will work in yours.
That works here in the Los Angeles/Orange County area also. If you use the "accepted by accident" option than it keeps the surge attached but usually only for 1-2 declines than it falls off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts