Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nowhere did I see that guaranteed hourly rates are based on gross until I got my pay statement.

Why can't they just say $16/hr instead of $20? Oh, because they can.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhhh. All those $$$ got in the way.

Reactions: JMBF831

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Welcome to Uber! Oh and by the way, $20 is not $16, you forgot about safe ride fees. So if you were to have 2 rides during the hour that were $6.00 each, you would have $12.00 in fares + an $8.00 top up bonus. Now, subtract $2.00 for the SR fees, then 20% of the remaining 18.00. This leaves you with $14.40.

Uber On and thanks for being a valued partner (more Uberspeak).

I'm guessing you are new to guarantees, search on gaming guarantees for some older posts that may help you maximize revenue and minimize effort.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. Indeed it 'twas my first guarantee experience. The math makes sense: I made two fares that totaled $16. My cut was $11.20 after SRF and 20%. Uber then says minimum is $20, so gives $4 - but took out the 20% and so only paid out $3.20 more for a total "guaranteed" $20 hour worth $14.40.

Will check out the other threads...

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Nowhere did I see that guaranteed hourly rates are based on gross until I got my pay statement.

Why can't they just say $16/hr instead of $20? Oh, because they can.
Whatever you read in terms of hourly wages, either potential or guaranteed, it is pretty much guaranteed to be before Uber takes their cut and obviously without consideration to the most basic expenses such as fuel. That being said, on this forum, if you hear of a new driver bragging about how well their honeymoon is paying, you can assume much of the time they are only referring to what they grossed. It's a common ailment.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome to Uber! Oh and by the way, $20 is not $16, you forgot about safe ride fees. So if you were to have 2 rides during the hour that were $6.00 each, you would have $12.00 in fares + an $8.00 top up bonus. Now, subtract $2.00 for the SR fees, then 20% of the remaining 18.00. This leaves you with $14.40.

Uber On and thanks for being a valued partner (more Uberspeak).

I'm guessing you are new to guarantees, search on gaming guarantees for some older posts that may help you maximize revenue and minimize effort.
This is a little inaccurate. SRFees are not part of guarantee calculations or bonuses. If you look at your detailed payment statement they are separate. Both Uber and Lyft always use the wording "gross fares" and make it pretty clear their commission will be taken out.

For insurance I worked a $25/hour guarantee last week for 6.9 hours. I'm guaranteed $172.50 in fares. My 5 rides totaled $52.16 not including SRF. Difference to be bonused is $120.34 gross. 80% of that is $96.27 which is what I was bonused. So yes a $20 guarantee in fares is worth $16 deposit to driver.

(I also read several chapters in my book by the beach while waiting for those 5 rides and only put 26 miles on my car. Easiest $135 I've made.)

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
This is a little inaccurate. SRFees are not part of guarantee calculations or bonuses. If you look at your detailed payment statement they are separate. Both Uber and Lyft always use the wording "gross fares" and make it pretty clear their commission will be taken out.

For insurance I worked a $25/hour guarantee last week for 6.9 hours. I'm guaranteed $172.50 in fares. My 5 rides totaled $52.16 not including SRF. Difference to be bonused is $120.34 gross. 80% of that is $96.27 which is what I was bonused. So yes a $20 guarantee in fares is worth $16 deposit to driver.

(I also read several chapters in my book by the beach while waiting for those 5 rides and only put 26 miles on my car. Easiest $135 I've made.)
Good for you! Gaming the guarantees is always a fun pursuit.

As far as the SRF goes, I think you got lucky. For the last 7 or 8 months that they've been offering these gross up guarantees in every region that I'm aware of they were including the srf in the fare for the purpose of calculating the bonus. Either they have gotten a little less a-holeish about it or they made a mistake, either way enjoy the guarantees while they last (we haven't seen one in ages) and get all you can!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
This particular guarantee was a Tuesday night one town over from my home so it was convenient. I opt in to all of the invites but I don't schedule myself around them. Last week I drove 50 hours on Lyft and they had a ton of short guarantees. They bonused me $9 for that. But hey, that's 4.5 gallons of gas I didn't have to pay for. I was much happier with my $200 power driver bonus. Hopefully that sticks around a good long while.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
This particular guarantee was a Tuesday night one town over from my home so it was convenient. I opt in to all of the invites but I don't schedule myself around them. Last week I drove 50 hours on Lyft and they had a ton of short guarantees. They bonused me $9 for that. But hey, that's 4.5 gallons of gas I didn't have to pay for. I was much happier with my $200 power driver bonus. Hopefully that sticks around a good long while.
Oh, I'm not familiar with Lyft guarantees, they may calculate them more fairly than Uber. Lyft has all but died here in Raleigh. Used to love the power bonus but there just isn't enough work, nor rates high enough for me to even turn the app on. Rock on and milk it for all you can while they last. Good to hear at least one person is doing well ;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The guarantee I showed math for was Uber. They both don't calculate the SRF for guarantees though. Lyft doesn't even use the SRF in minimum fare calculations or have it show on your pay statement the way Uber does, which I like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts