Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber wants surges so they can make a lot more money. By the time drivers move into the surge areas, Ubers already booked the passengers at surge rates. Then what happens - surge opens up in areas where the drivers left.
In any case, when they lower driver rates and drivers drop out, the demand exceeds drivers and surges surge. Customers gets ripped off and Uber makes a LOT more money. A few drivers make more.

I can just imagine an executive meeting trying to figure out how to make more money for Uber. Obviously, paying drivers more brings in more drivers and eliminates surge fares - which means Uber makes less. So let's squeeze out drivers creating driver shortages and surges almost all the time, greatly boosting money that Uber grabs. Customer rip off. We should call them GRUBER.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Unless there's one driver for every person getting out of the bar, there's always gonna be surges. That's why surge was added in 2014, as an incentive to keep drivers out late when there is increased demand. Why else would I be out driving at 3am on a weekend other than the chance to make 2-3x as much? I'd rather be home or out having fun myself. Imho surge and prime time pricing are the only things that makes it worthwhile to drive on these platforms. Otherwise the rates just suck.. Don't chase surge. It's recalculated every 5 minutes. By the time you identify it & relocate, the circumstances that triggered it are likely over. Better: anticipate surge. Know where & at what time surges are likely to happen. Go there ahead of time, log off, watch the surge build, then go online after other drivers accepted rides for a lower rate. Get all the surges you can, 'cause guess what? Rates will probably be $0.70 cents a mile a year from now, like most every other established market.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
or out having fun myself. Imho surge and prime time pricing are the only things that makes it worthwhile to drive on these platforms.
Exactly, I give up most weekends with the gf because she supports me driving my late hours so I can hit surge. Also why I drive longer shifts on Friday and Saturday versus weeknights, because of surge. I sure as heck wouldn't be driving those nights if it wasn't for surge. Had another nice weekend here.

Get all the surges you can, 'cause guess what? Rates will probably be $0.70 cents a mile a year from now, like most every other established market.
Don't you say those things lol :eek: if that's the case I won't be here in a year.

Reactions: Magical

·
Registered
83 Posts
Driver's wouldn't manipulate surge if either
A) Surge pricing periods lasted longer, which would make it easier for both riders and drivers to know how much the ride will cost/earn them. Instead of changing it every 5 minutes just make it either 2.5X or a 3X from 1:30-2:30AM. Drivers wouldn't go fishing for better fares, and rider wouldn't get gouged at a 4.9X(some of them deserve it but some just need a ride home from work)

AND/OR B)The driver app needs to not lag behind the rider app. How many times have you got a request at a surge rate less than what the app was showing, or a request without surge even though the driver app said it was a surge area. If Uber wants drivers to cancel less then don't piss us off with a ride request that's going make us less money than we were expecting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm pretty sure only the drivers profit from surge pricing. It's a multiplier of the baase fare while Uber pockets nothing extra as I understand on this "pro tip" from Uber:
Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Smile

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ohh. I misread their description. Sorry I'm new to Uber and still learning. To be honest I didn't even realize Uber takes a percentage of my fares other than the "rider fee" that the passenger pays.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Ohh. I misread their description. Sorry I'm new to Uber and still learning. To be honest I didn't even realize Uber takes a percentage of my fares other than the "rider fee" that the passenger pays.
You should do some searches here on how to calculate your actual profits. What you just said makes you sound completely clueless.

·
Premium Member
65,401 Posts
Do you have 1,000 friends just like you ?

Uber wants them Today !

·
Registered
405 Posts
You are a new driver in Detroit it seems. Well, here is the math for you... you get $0.30 per mile of which uber takes 25%. This puts you at $0.22 per mile. Now you need to deduct your expenses from that. The government says it costs $0.54 per mile all in costs to operate a car for hire. Therefore you are losing $0.31 per mile. Keep in mind in Detroit there is payment for time @$0.30 per minute. So you Just drive, do the math, and you will truly live up the your forum name UberXslave. By the way, did you know that Detroit is a test city?
Plant Smile Rodent Grass Natural landscape

·
Premium Member
65,401 Posts
You are a new driver in Detroit it seems. Well, here is the math for you... you get $0.30 per mile of which uber takes 25%. This puts you at $0.22 per mile. Now you need to deduct your expenses from that. The government says it costs $0.54 per mile all in costs to operate a car for hire. Therefore you are losing $0.31 per mile. Keep in mind in Detroit there is payment for time @$0.30 per minute. So you Just drive, do the math, and you will truly live up the your forum name UberXslave. By the way, did you know that Detroit is a test city?
View attachment 29415
YOU CAN BUY A HOUSE FOR A DOLLAR IN DETROIT !

you can't even do that In. Ethiopia !

Test city for what ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Test city for what ?
A "Test city" to see how low they can go and still get fools to drive. Seems to be working. Rider app shows dozens of drivers in Detroit.
$0.30 per mile coming to a city near you.o_O

·
Registered
74 Posts
Uber wants surges so they can make a lot more money. By the time drivers move into the surge areas, Ubers already booked the passengers at surge rates. Then what happens - surge opens up in areas where the drivers left.
In any case, when they lower driver rates and drivers drop out, the demand exceeds drivers and surges surge. Customers gets ripped off and Uber makes a LOT more money. A few drivers make more.

I can just imagine an executive meeting trying to figure out how to make more money for Uber. Obviously, paying drivers more brings in more drivers and eliminates surge fares - which means Uber makes less. So let's squeeze out drivers creating driver shortages and surges almost all the time, greatly boosting money that Uber grabs. Customer rip off. We should call them GRUBER.
Sorry to blow a hole in all that but no, Uber right now is operating at a loss. Why their doing this I'm not sure but I have my suspicions. If Uber really was wanting to "make" money they would leave the rates alone, I have never had a rider complain about the rates, they complain when the surge hits. Uber can also limit and adjust the surge "on the fly".

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Sorry to blow a hole in all that but no, Uber right now is operating at a loss. Why their doing this I'm not sure but I have my suspicions. If Uber really was wanting to "make" money they would leave the rates alone, I have never had a rider complain about the rates, they complain when the surge hits. Uber can also limit and adjust the surge "on the fly".
What makes you think ubers taking a loss? It's not like they release their financials. I'm sure uber does some creative bookkeeping on what it reports and how it reports it. Do you think Travis and his board buddies personally lost money this year? I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No. Uber is making a nice profit on its US operations. Its in china, india and other international operations are losing $

·
Registered
241 Posts
If there is no surge, I just turn the app off. I'm now giving away cheap rides to cheapskates anymore.
Im finding that you cant just pick and choose with uber Ive been driving a bit and have done extensive testing. you can go out and do lousy for 1 1/2 hours or 2 and if and when it gets busy you catch up. thats why people are always complaining about being close to pickups and someone further away gets the ride. Its because it wasnt their turn. i beleive the App is designed to split the earnings between all the drivers. i also beleive when wages begin to decrease Uber will arbitrarily seek out those with low ratings and low acceptance and high cancellation and eliminate them . I beleive that Uber has it set up that if you want to drive drive seriously with a clean car high standards in grooming and disposition, If it seems much or not worth it then a person can always stop driving. its my opinion. I had a rider who wanted me to wait but i had already closed the ride so i figured oh Ill wait and take him back
I then contacted Uber told them and they fixed the trip. As of yet i have not had an issue except early on i would go out for an hour without a ride during a surge until i found out be patient they know that your there and youll get your fair share.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts