Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving for over about 7 months and just about three months ago in April I started to notice that UberSurge would be bright red meaning 3.0 surge from Belmont All the Way South to Mountain View, Early in the weekday mornings like 5 a.m.

So of course I go online while in san carlos and I'm waiting about a minute and I don't even get a ride request, then the surge disappears completely on the whole map and maybe there's a little bit of surge about 1.2 over downtown palo alto?
When i noticed that happened I went offline.
Then it happened again, it kept happening daily and the following weeks, dark red over all these Peninsula cities, go online and within a minute or less all that surge disappears and a small little part of say mountain view was surging.

Uber is also very good at surging the surrounding areas of the SF and S.J airport but not actually in the airport. So if you're online the areas around San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, San Bruno at 1a.m. it's because when you're thinking there's something happening downtown San Mateo or in that area the app sends you to the airport but you're not surging at the airport, so you're just going to pick up a regular fare.

Uber is also very good at once you go online during a huge surge like 2.5 in downtown palo alto on a weekday morning sending you 13 or 14 minute ride request to ( Timbuktu) Foster City for regular fare?!?

Excluding the airport surge the first example and the third example that happen to me non-stop almost everyday since April '16. I got Fed Up and requested Uber to deactivate my account.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah happens to me all the time on the Peninsula too. I stopped driving for them about a month ago when I'd be in a high surge zone and it would send me non surge pool requests obviously inside the zone. Unfortunately I don't think I can put off not driving anymore so I'll be back at it next week.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
So I've been driving for over about 7 months and just about three months ago in April I started to notice that UberSurge would be bright red meaning 3.0 surge from Belmont All the Way South to Mountain View, Early in the weekday mornings like 5 a.m.

So of course I go online while in san carlos and I'm waiting about a minute and I don't even get a ride request, then the surge disappears completely on the whole map and maybe there's a little bit of surge about 1.2 over downtown palo alto?
When i noticed that happened I went offline.
Then it happened again, it kept happening daily and the following weeks, dark red over all these Peninsula cities, go online and within a minute or less all that surge disappears and a small little part of say mountain view was surging.

Uber is also very good at surging the surrounding areas of the SF and S.J airport but not actually in the airport. So if you're online the areas around San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, San Bruno at 1a.m. it's because when you're thinking there's something happening downtown San Mateo or in that area the app sends you to the airport but you're not surging at the airport, so you're just going to pick up a regular fare.

Uber is also very good at once you go online during a huge surge like 2.5 in downtown palo alto on a weekday morning sending you 13 or 14 minute ride request to ( Timbuktu) Foster City for regular fare?!?

Excluding the airport surge the first example and the third example that happen to me non-stop almost everyday since April '16. I got Fed Up and requested Uber to deactivate my account.
Happens every morning.

The thing is, no one is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to request a ride in a 2.5 zone. Pax have learned throughout the years.

When I see a surge in Fremont and there's 15 plus cars waiting around, I roll my eyes and go back to sleep.

The best chance to get a ride is when you see "uberx unavailable". THAT'S when you log on.

To add, once you see a surge near you but aren't quite ready to jump in, HARD CLOSE the partner app and use the pax app to monitor the surge. Countless times I've seen the surge dissipate once I open my partner app. It's not a fluke. You are being counted in the algorithm as a driver and you will kill the surge much faster.

While I'm here............. once I do go online, I leave it on for no more than a minute. Then hit offline and go back to monitor the cars around me and the surge from the pax app. This will leave even the savy pax wishing he would have pulled the trigger and the illusion that there is more demand than probably exists.

/end tutorial

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have never trusted the Uber surge shown in the peninsula. It's a bunch of fakery, bullcrap and malarkey. Belmont Surge?? Just to make sure the VCs there have Ubers.

I once took a screenshot by screenshot of how surge went from red hot 3.0x from zero in 10 minutes (of course with no pings at all) in Mountain View (San Antonio Rd)

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
that surge you see isn't all fake if its regular at a certain time it's being cause by probably single venue/ location

you are getting nothing cause mostly someone is getting to the pings quicker

Study the area , know where and what most important when used to play this game before pdb plus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts