Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get assistance from Uber Support for a situation that occurred Friday night. I have not received any type of response from anyone at Ubrr support. I read that Uber outsourced the support and I know when I have received responses they are not American names. So did uber really send American jobs overseas? As well does this mean we will continue to drive and have situation after situation without any way to get them resolved? Maybe Uber really doesn't care about their drivers.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I have been trying to get assistance from Uber Support for a situation that occurred Friday night. I have not received any type of response from anyone at Ubrr support. I read that Uber outsourced the support and I know when I have received responses they are not American names. So did uber really send American jobs overseas? As well does this mean we will continue to drive and have situation after situation without any way to get them resolved? Maybe Uber really doesn't care about their drivers.
Wow welcome to 2004! Starting with its driver force, Uber continues to look for ways to outsource pretty much anything they can, including their own data processing. Your best bet is to show up at their Denver office in person, but know that most of the driver support reps working in the front office - while 'murican - are also contract employees.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

There is the slightest, tiniest, teensiest,
little chance that Uber doesn't care about it's drivers.

Hope you were sitting down for that.

Tell us what happened to you on Friday, and i'm sure someone here can constructively chime in.
I had a pool call and the 1st rider wasn't where she was supposed to be. she was on the phone with me insisting she was at the corner of Logan and Colfax, I was at the stop light there with my flashers and she was nowhere to be seen. She argued with me only for me to see her a block away. 4 people climbed in the car just as the 2nd pool rider was calling me. I had to cancel the ride for the 2nd rider, which I felt bad about. The 1st rider put in she wanted to pool and she had 2 passengers, she had 4 and just wanted the pool fair which she got. She tried telling me the app prefilled in the number of people and the pool option. Whatever. It was surging so I know she was trying to pull a scam. They got out before their destination as well left my car door open and I was in a place where I couldn't get out and close my door. It was extremely frustrating. I tried to give her a 3 rating and when I hit the confirm it showed 5 stars shaded in. Obviosly people have figured out a way to get a pool rating. Plus I couldn't cancel the ride so the rider had to cancel it. I want to opt out of pool rides, I am not going to do that drama of people scamming me, and then Uber can't even respond. If Uber wants to be scammed that is on them. I was thinking about going into the Denver office and find out what is going on with this support situation.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I had an issue Friday night with an Uber Passenger also I ended up canceling the ride before it even started but I thought a Passenger with a 4.0 rating should not be allowed to even be able to request a ride . I didn't even notice that he was a 4.0 until I arrived and was noticing it was going to possible be an issue.
Uber got back to be very quickly Saturday morning

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I was at the stop light there with my flashers and she was nowhere to be seen.

Hopefully you weren't actually stopped at the intersection with your flashers on and potentially blocking traffic. You can be ticketed for that. Having an Uber card in your windshield and your flashers on doesn't exempt you from having to follow the rules of the road. You need to pull over to a safe/legal pickup spot even if that means your rider has to walk a few feet.

She argued with me only for me to see her a block away.

This is the point where you should have simply said, "I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll cancel the ride so you can request another driver. Goodbye." and then hung up.

4 people climbed in the car just as the 2nd pool rider was calling me.

Since you didn't cancel sooner, at this point you should have cancelled the ride and demanded that the four people exit your car.

I tried to give her a 3 rating and when I hit the confirm it showed 5 stars shaded in.

You can always go back and change the rating of rider via:

Trip History > Help > [specific trip] > Rider Feedback > Change my rating for a rider

I was thinking about going into the Denver office and find out what is going on with this support situation.

My hunch is that you're fairly new at this, so again a visit to the Denver office for some in person training sounds like your best bet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at the stop light there with my flashers and she was nowhere to be seen.

Hopefully you weren't actually stopped at the intersection with your flashers on and potentially blocking traffic. You can be ticketed for that. Having an Uber card in your windshield and your flashers on doesn't exempt you from having to follow the rules of the road. You need to pull over to a safe/legal pickup spot even if that means your rider has to walk a few feet.

She argued with me only for me to see her a block away.

This is the point where you should have simply said, "I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll cancel the ride so you can request another driver. Goodbye." and then hung up.

4 people climbed in the car just as the 2nd pool rider was calling me.

Since you didn't cancel sooner, at this point you should have cancelled the ride and demanded that the four people exit your car.

I tried to give her a 3 rating and when I hit the confirm it showed 5 stars shaded in.

You can always go back and change the rating of rider via:

Trip History > Help > [specific trip] > Rider Feedback > Change my rating for a rider

I was thinking about going into the Denver office and find out what is going on with this support situation.

It sounds like you're fairly new, so again a visit to the Denver office for some in person training is your best bet.
I am obviously not stupid about blocking traffic. Seriously? In Denver? People wouldn't be honking and having a fit if I were blocking an intersection on a Friday night?
Yes I should have cancelled her ride. From now on I am not going to be so nice and I will be cancelling rides if they are not where they are supposed to be.
However, she was given a pool fare and that does need to be corrected.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I am obviously not stupid about blocking traffic. Seriously?
I've seen plenty of Uber & Lyft drivers stopped in a traffic lane with their flashers on blocking traffic, and from pretty much everything you wrote in your previous post describing your situation, it wasn't obvious that you weren't blocking traffic. Seriously.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Yes they will, there are a few threads about opting out of pool on this forum.
Dang really? I'll have to look in to this
I found where one driver in San Diego claimed to have successfully opted out of receiving UberPOOL requests. Let us know if you're equally successful.
I received this reply this morning.
------
Thank you for taking the time to write in and for letting us know. Happy to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration over this price reduction issue. I know how hard it is for you and for all the partners relying on their earnings with Uber. If I were in your position, I would also feel the same way, and I just want to let you know that Uber has your back on this sensitive issue.

Price changes increase the number of riders and pickup requests in your city. With more requests for rides coming in, you'll spend more time online driving and earning, and less time waiting for your next ride request. We feel the new per mile price, combined with the higher per minute price, will have the biggest impact on demand.

You have our full support while this happens. As we monitor how these price changes impact your earnings, please let us know how things are going. Uber highly values the feedback of its partners and we take what you're saying very seriously. We appreciate your thoughtfulness and taking the time to write to us. We will evaluate your feedback internally.

However, it doesn't mean that the present price/ rates will be the permanent. If we find any adverse effect in the earning of the partners, we will take surely a second look in this issue. Uber highly values the feedback of its partners and we take what you're saying very seriously. As a growing company, we are constantly seeking ways to better enhance the Uber experience from both drivers' and riders' perspectives. So I already circulated your suggestion to my higher department. Hope they will be consider it seriously.

If you don't want to accept any pool request in future, you can let us know. We can go ahead and arrange it for you, so that you will never get any pool request at all.

Let me not miss the moment to appreciate you, I have reviewed your account and found that you're doing a wonderful job. We greatly value your association with Uber and your overall rating clearly shows that you have been taking amazing care of our Riders. Uber is honored to have partners like you.Let me know, if you have any additional concern. Have a lovely day ahead.

Regards,

Utsav Roy
help.uber.com

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang really?
I'll have to look in to this
Yes they will, there are a few threads about opting out of pool on this forum.
I had an issue with my first pool ride and I did get a resonse from Uber, I wanted to opt out, they responded back stating it is profitable for me to do Uber pools. He also made it sound as though I could. My last pool ride I had, I was given an addreess range on a one way street for the 2nd requestser, she was a block away. I had to pull over around the corner, which was fine with the first rider we had to wait for her to walk a block. That was fine because she called immediately and was very courtious. However, I noticed on the trip charge the 2nd person was dropped off first and she was charged more than the 1st riders who were in the car much longer and further. I checked and I did end the trip with the correct person at the correct stop. Hopefully, going into the office will get this all taken care of.
Obviously they aren't profitable if I am still dealing with it 2 days later.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I found where one driver in Chicago claimed to have successfully opted out of receiving UberPOOL requests. Let us know if you're equally successful.
Even if they tell you there is no optiting out be persistent, professional and polite and magically you'll stop receiving pool pings.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen plenty of Uber & Lyft drivers stopped in a traffic lane with their flashers on blocking traffic, and from pretty much everything you wrote in your previous post describing your situation, it wasn't obvious that you weren't blocking traffic. Seriously.
I will try and be more detailed about what I write.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drove for Uber last year and I was always responded to within minutes of contacting support. I am very surprised I have had an issue to this degree. This is the first issue I have had with Uber Support and I have been driving for them for a total of 8 months. I do come on here and read what people write and luckily I haven't experienced many of the issues people site on here. However, I do try and learn from what I read about other peoples experiences. I would say less than one percent of my rides have been negative. I have only pulled my car over once and made riders get out of my car. I contacted Uber and the situation was taken very serious and it was addressed immediately. People tell me horror stories about previous rides they have had with Uber drivers. I don't know if they are true are not, however their stories are scary. About 50% of my riders ask how they can request me when they need an uber ride. I make decent tips, I had logged in for a short time a few weeks ago and made $30 in tips and only had 4 rides. I hope Uber really does listen to what we are saying and correct the support issue. I am less than pleased people here in the US lost their jobs once again due to outsourcing.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Even if they tell you there is no opting out be persistent, professional and polite and magically you'll stop receiving pool pings.
So far I see no reason to opt out of receiving UberPOOL requests. I get paid based on the current UberX rates [$0.75 base + $1.00/mile + $0.13/min] for the time and distance it takes me to pick up and drop off one or two groups of UberPOOL riders, and when I pick up a second set of riders, it counts as two completed trips which is handy for hitting my weekly ride count requirement to earn the bonus incentives Uber has been offering for the past few weeks.
I noticed on the trip charge the 2nd person was dropped off first and she was charged more than the 1st riders who were in the car much longer and further. I checked and I did end the trip with the correct person at the correct stop.
When looking at your pay statement, you really don't need to be concerned with how it appears Uber is breaking down your pay for an UberPOOL ride when you have two sets of riders. Regardless of the route you drove or how long each rider was in in your car, each rider pays the exact UberPOOL fare they were quoted on the Uber rider app after they entered their destination and were given the option to select either UberPOOL or UberX. The screenshot below is an example of what I see on the rider app for my ride options between the Sheraton and Grand Hyatt. For a solo UberPOOL ride, I would would pay a flat $4.46, and the driver earns $3.20. For UberX, I would pay $5.95, and the driver earns $3.20.

Map Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

The screenshot below is an example of an UberPOOL request I handled last Tuesday night. The first request came in at 9:15pm. While on my way to the first pickup, I received a notice that a second POOL request was being added to the route. When I arrived at the first pickup spot, I set my phone timer for 1:45. The timer went off, and after a few more seconds with no rider, I cancelled the ride - which resulted in the first rider being charge a $5 no show fee which paid me $4 - and proceeded to the second pickup spot. Since I cancelled on the first rider, the second rider then became the first rider. While on the way to pick her up, I accepted a new second POOL request which - no surprise here - came from the original first rider, so I circled around the block to pick her up, and indeed on her second request she was clever enough to be outside ready to hop in.

You can see that in addition to collecting $4 for driving to first location, waiting for two minutes and then cancelling, I was paid $4.62 for the 13.32 minutes and 3.28 miles it took me to pickup and drop off the two riders. According to my math which is based on UberX rates: 80% x [$0.75 base +($1.00/mile x 3.28 miles) + ($.13/min x 13.32 min)] = $4.61, so somewhere Uber rounded up to $4.62.

I made $8.62 in about 20 minutes on a Tuesday night. Knowing she would likely downrate me, I made sure to 1-star the first rider who no showed and who then became the second rider.

Product Azure Rectangle Font Material property

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't drive in the pool zone a lot I have taken 3 pool rides have yet to have both groups on the ride and 2 of the 3 were surge pools. So I get a $3.75 tip every pool so I find the Pools as being I nice little profit ride. Last night did a minimum pool first rider no show so $6.75 for a 1.3 mile drive not too bad

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to say it, but you were simply too passive and accomidating from the beginning, and that only amplified the problems.
You are right, I am learning. I have gotten better about not waiting for people to come out and get in the car. Especially when their location is not an easy place to pick them up at. They should be waiting in my opinion when they know there is no parking. I always text them and tell them where I am parked if there is no parking at their location. I am getting better about giving lower ratings as well. It takes a lot for me to rate someone less than a 5. I have looked at my ratings and realized I am getting rated on if navigation works or not. That is not in my control. I had a passenger last week upset because their navigation wasn't working and they couldn't track where I was. After working in IT support for 20 years I do know people really do expect you to fix the issue. I don't know how many times a system was down and I would get a call that I needed to get that person on regardless because their work was so important and they were really convinced I could put them on a down system. I guess people think I can make navigation work just for them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't drive in the pool zone a lot I have taken 3 pool rides have yet to have both groups on the ride and 2 of the 3 were surge pools. So I get a $3.75 tip every pool so I find the Pools as being I nice little profit ride. Last night did a minimum pool first rider no show so $6.75 for a 1.3 mile drive not too bad
I eneded up in Highlands Ranch Saturday night. The riders were tellling me they have a hard time finding Uber drivers. I don't see it surge very often over there but it was surging like crazy on Saturday night. I had a ride all the way out to Rocksborough. Is there a way to tell what their destination is going to be when you accept the ride. It was a long ride and my pay was $32 on a 1.5 surge. I sure don't want to do that drive without a surge. I did finally get a ride back to Denver and the next ride was to W 6th Ave in the exact area where they were investigating a shooting. I got beeped for a return ride before I dropped my passenger off, at that point when i accepted I did't know there was a shooting in that area. In fact my rider I was picking up had just been questioned about it. I dropped him off in Denver and loggeed off. A little too much drama for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So far I see no reason to opt out of receiving UberPOOL requests. I get paid based on the current UberX rates [$0.75 base + $1.00/mile + $0.13/min] for the time and distance it takes me to pick up and drop off one or two groups of UberPOOL riders, and when I pick up a second set of riders, it counts as two completed trips which is handy for hitting my weekly ride count requirement to earn the bonus incentives Uber has been offering for the past few weeks.
When looking at your pay statement, you really don't need to be concerned with how it appears Uber is breaking down your pay for an UberPOOL ride when you have two sets of riders. Regardless of the route you drove or how long each rider was in in your car, each rider pays the exact UberPOOL fare they were quoted on the Uber rider app after they entered their destination and were given the option to select either UberPOOL or UberX. The screenshot below is an example of what I see on the rider app for my ride options between the Sheraton and Grand Hyatt. For a solo UberPOOL ride, I would would pay a flat $4.46, and the driver earns $3.20. For UberX, I would pay $5.95, and the driver earns $3.20.

View attachment 41534

The screenshot below is an example of an UberPOOL request I handled last Tuesday night. The first request came in at 9:15pm. While on my way to the first pickup, I received a notice that a second POOL request was being added to the route. When I arrived at the first pickup spot, I set my phone timer for 1:45. The timer went off, and after a few more seconds with no rider, I cancelled the ride - which resulted in the first rider being charge a $5 no show fee which paid me $4 - and proceeded to the second pickup spot. Since I cancelled on the first rider, the second rider then became the first rider. While on the way to pick her up, I accepted a new second POOL request which - no surprise here - came from the original first rider, so I circled around the block to pick her up, and indeed on her second request she was clever enough to be outside ready to hop in.

You can see that in addition to collecting $4 for driving to first location, waiting for two minutes and then cancelling, I was paid $4.62 for the 13.32 minutes and 3.28 miles it took me to pickup and drop off the two riders. According to my math which is based on UberX rates: 80% x [$0.75 base +($1.00/mile x 3.28 miles) + ($.13/min x 13.32 min)] = $4.61, so somewhere Uber rounded up to $4.62.

I made $8.62 in about 20 minutes on a Tuesday night. Knowing she would likely downrate me, I made sure to 1-star the first rider who no showed and who then became the second rider.

View attachment 41537
Okay, I feel stupid asking this question. Is it a 2 minute rule or 5 minute rule? I thought it was 5 minutes. Last year I got dinged by not waiting for 5 minutes. Obviously things have changed. I know I wait for 2 minutes to text the rider and then give them 3 minutes to respond. I do text immediately if I get an address range or if I can't park at their destination.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts