Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom it may concern.
Please stick to your old program to open radar and not controlling our earnings. It is not right for hard working drivers to be loosing time and money just because of the existing cap on earnings programmed from Uber. Many times during the day I notice cars coming to pick up riders in front of me even that I’m waiting for long time for a ping.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
To whom it may concern.
Please stick to your old program to open radar and not controlling our earnings. It is not right for hard working drivers to be loosing time and money just because of the existing cap on earnings programmed from Uber. Many times during the day I notice cars coming to pick up riders in front of me even that I'm waiting for long time for a ping.
Are you NYC TLC or outside of NYC?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Uber throttles the driver's all the time.

You just haven't figured it out yet. It's so blatantly obvious even Stevie Wonder could see it.
There is one other thing at play here. I asked him if he were NYC which is TLC and different from the rest of the state/country. They are guaranteed a floor per hour. It's a complicated formula but basically, they get rates that will give them the equivalent of $27/hour gross and $17/hour net. The rates they must pay is an agreed upon formula with the city and rideshare companies. One important basis for the rate is the % utilization rate. Without going into all the details there are 2 ways this can hurt drivers:
  1. The rideshare companies are motivated to have as high a utilization rate as possible to keep their rates they must pay down. This means what % of a drivers time is in the pick up to drop off timeline of the total online time. This resulted in Uber and Lyft limiting the amount of drivers that will be allowed online at any given time. If the demand isn't high enough you either won't be allowed online or you will end a ride and be booted offline.
  2. Because of the hourly targets of course drivers get throttled so others will get enough offers.

·
Premium Member
7,817 Posts
The key would be to go offline when you get throttled.

or mor appropriately sit at home logged in to boost your "online time" until your under the threshold you start getting pings again.

another winner would be to log in at places/times you know you arnt going to get pings and don't expect to.

Here's another idea, log in at home and decline pings.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
To whom it may concern.
Please stick to your old program to open radar and not controlling our earnings. It is not right for hard working drivers to be loosing time and money just because of the existing cap on earnings programmed from Uber. Many times during the day I notice cars coming to pick up riders in front of me even that I'm waiting for long time for a ping.
Maybe those drivers coming to pick up riders in front of you have been waiting also :smiles:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I've been seeing this a lot since I started back driving in August. Uber wants me to make $20/hour, and if I get ahead of that, I just don't get pings. It does suck to be logged in during what I know are the busier times of day, and not get anything.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I've been seeing this a lot since I started back driving in August. Uber wants me to make $20/hour, and if I get ahead of that, I just don't get pings. It does suck to be logged in during what I know are the busier times of day, and not get anything.
new drivers flooding the streets...algo setting the hook on all of them....

·
6,070 Posts
Want to see if you are being throttled by Uber?

I can log on to the rider app and start to request a ride. It will show me the nearest UberX driver is 5 minutes away. But wait I am logged into the driver app and can see my car right next to me. Why is the UberX driver 5 minutes away? Because I'm being throttled back.

It gets better, I can change my ride request from UberX to Comfort and low and behold my driver is only 1 minute away. Why, because there are no other comfort drivers in the area so Uber has to give me the ride to win over the customer.

Uber plays games. They should be sending the driver that can get there the quickest like they used to advertise. Not sure if they still advertise this way.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
To whom it may concern.
I don't know about algorithm, but I know a driver (way back when I drove) who told me a newbie driver approached him with a question about the app. Her app showed an astonishing (for this area anyway) surge, where his app (he was a "veteran" driver) had none. Same location, same time, big difference. I suspect Uber configured the app to favor the newbie to get her addicted to the game. I know from experience that the longer you drive, the less love you get.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I don't know about algorithm, but I know a driver (way back when I drove) who told me a newbie driver approached him with a question about the app. Her app showed an astonishing (for this area anyway) surge, where his app (he was a "veteran" driver) had none. Same location, same time, big difference. I suspect Uber configured the app to favor the newbie to get her addicted to the game. I know from experience that the longer you drive, the less love you get.
Lately the surge zone is always a mile or 2 away from me, and if I make any move in that direction, the whole surge zone vanishes at once - not slowly dissipating, totally gone from a $6 surge in an instant.

I can log on to the rider app and start to request a ride. It will show me the nearest UberX driver is 5 minutes away. But wait I am logged into the driver app and can see my car right next to me. Why is the UberX driver 5 minutes away? Because I'm being throttled back.

It gets better, I can change my ride request from UberX to Comfort and low and behold my driver is only 1 minute away. Why, because there are no other comfort drivers in the area so Uber has to give me the ride to win over the customer.

Uber plays games. They should be sending the driver that can get there the quickest like they used to advertise. Not sure if they still advertise this way.
I think they effectively throttle you by sending you on long pick ups. This wastes your time and ends up limiting what you can earn in a day.

For all Uber's games today - lying about the trip length on long pickups, sending me to distant dead areas, etc, I ended up with about $180 in 9 hours - exactly the $20/hour they keep me at.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts

Same thing happens to me. Comfort 1 min. X 5 min.

Even right now, and I have 0 trips today and only 1 for the week. $7.XX. I don't think its throttling.

Uber tracks our time to pax vs est. I think what you're seeing is a reflection of this. I take a good portion of my requests from home. I'm never in a rush to get out the door. Comfort always shows as 1 min for me, I assume they track the stats differently or separately and there probably just isn't enough data on comfort yet to adjust.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Fusion Plug-in Hybrid
2,331 Posts

Throttling must be something that is done far more outside of CA. The distance from the pax doesn't play out much in my area and I've been watching trying to figure out the algorithm. While sitting at my home at 3.5x or higher I will get pings for rides from pax who are closer to other ants. The ants are real I've turned off Uber then requested a ride from a location near them and they accepted (rates vary from 1.0x to 4.9x) so I had to cancel quickly.

So the ants are either not accepting the pings that I get at a higher rate or there are other factors like AR and drivers ratings that are in play here...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
To whom it may concern.
Did you hit the button in app that says your first in line, works for me

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
This has been happening for years, I would be parked at a location, at a hotspot, and driver after driver would turn up and pick up riders. While I’m sitting waiting, I’m certain it’s not throttling,

my guesses are, they are the rival app. The riders have given me low rating so they don’t get paired with me, or the app links to closest car, so for them to get me, it would take 2-3mins for me to drive around the block based on their navigation compared to a driver who is 1min away, even though I could just reverse backwards, app doesn’t allow that ,

5years full time driver, I do not believe throttling happens at all. But the app algorithm can be weird, I could be 10mins away and get a ping from a location, but if I check the rider app, there’s cars already at that location. and I place a booking from where I’m getting pinged, and app says 1min away,

so why can I get picked up in 1min but other riders are getting told 10mins? It seems it could be to do with rider ratings, a low rated rider are made to wait longer, and a high rated rider gets a car quicker, which only benefits the riders to keep a high rating, and I’m penalised to drive further to a low rated rider, shows Uber looks after riders first, not drivers,

1 - 20 of 36 Posts