Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a short trip downtown for a couple bar hoppers, and because of my amenities they were very thankful. The ride requestor happened to sit in the front seat, and when dropping them off he wanted to make sure I knew of his appreciation, so he intentionally made sure I watched as he tipped me well within the app. Lone behold!!!! This tip never showed up on my ride payment! It really makes my question if Uber keeps a portion of tips for themselves, when they claim all tips belong to the drivers. I especially wonder this due to the fact that I get way fewer Uber tips than Lyft through the apps.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,444 Posts
From what I understand the PAX can enter a tip and you see it on their screen however they have to finalize it by doing another step. Perhaps the Pax never finalized it.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Sometimes tips take a while to get posted, although in my experience it shows almost immediately. Give it a day or two.
I didn't know you were moonlighting in the Philippines. :wink:
You should have more accurately said 24-48 hrs and suggest he post again if there has been no change by then.
Don't deviate from the script.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sometimes tips take a while to get posted, although in my experience it shows almost immediately. Give it a day or two.
He is right. At least 50% tip never shows up. Several times my personal experience.

Guber has lots of excuses. They can throw any excuses. Do you have time to dig in if the riders credit card goes through? Drivers request for tip refund?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Uber needs to be audited the same way gas stations are audited. The state periodically checks that gas pumps actually pump the amount that they claim. The same thing needs to happen to Uber.
When companies grow so enormously, those small matters become irrelevant to the city governments. Availability of rideshare in any city makes it more attractive for businesses and tourism which help them earn more revenue. Unless there is some collective efforts by the majority of drivers, nothing will change. The biggest excuse guber can throw, "software glitch", here is your $2 tip. They have already plan out how to screw the drivers without getting into trouble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And this is how they steal, because if you call, and waste 15 mins, they will tell you wait 48 hours, banking on the fact that a lot of people will be too busy or forget to call back and waste another 15 mins. If only half call back that will be a nice little windfall of theft from the Uberthieves.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Obviously with the current system either U or L could take anyones tips and no one would have any idea... almost like they designed it that way....

there is a very easy fix which is to ONLY allow tipping BEFORE the ride has ended while the pax is still in the driver's car. Driver gets a notification immediately on their screen that their current pax just tipped them, pax themselves can see the notification, driver thanks them profusely, and everything is done. U/L simply notify pax of the change and they can adjust their behavior. Transparency anyone?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Lyft tips almost always show-up right away. Sure, now and then a business traveller adds the tip when they are doing their trip expenses, but it's maybe 1 in 100 rides. Uber tips have a random delay in them of 1 to 100 hours. I get so many tips hours later (like 4am), that I'm sure the uber platform is adding delay.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
It's very strange for a rider to go through the trouble of making you watch them tip you. I agree with the earlier post - he wanted to make you think he tipped you so he'd get a good rating, never finalized it and just as he planned you're blaming Uber. I've only had a couple of riders do this and wouldn't you know - those tips never showed up. Never believe anyone who tells you "I'm gonna give you a big tip." 95% of the time they're cheap a**es trying to save their rating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
These thieves need to be arrested and prosecuted for Theft by Swindle. The evidence of theft of tip money by Lyft happened to me last night. I picked the same passenger up twice and on the second ride the passenger asked me if I received the $7 tip from the first ride. I let her know that I could not see the tips while the app was engaged with a passenger on board. She told me she was tipping me another $5 for the second ride. She appreciated that I drove 20 minutes to pick her up for a 6 minute ride. After dropping the passenger off I checked and saw that Lyft gave me $3 for the first ride and $2 for the second ride. She later verified the tips she paid by showing her app to me and I showed her what I was paid. Tips are instant and do not show up later and there are no excuses for this corrupt business practice. Now I wonder how long this has been going on and how much has been taken from me. I've driven Lyft for nearly two years--it could add up to thousands. I had a Friday and Saturday night one week that netted only $3 each night. I wondered at that point if they were stealing. I also get messages saying 'congratulations keep up the good work tips are rolling in' then I look and see there is $2. WTF? I'm mad as hell. Unfortunately when passengers ask me about how it is driving for Lyft they need to know the truth. I contacted Lyft about the missing tip money from my considerate passenger but have had no reply.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,444 Posts
These thieves need to be arrested and prosecuted for Theft by Swindle. The evidence of theft of tip money by Lyft happened to me last night. I picked the same passenger up twice and on the second ride the passenger asked me if I received the $7 tip from the first ride. I let her know that I could not see the tips while the app was engaged with a passenger on board. She told me she was tipping me another $5 for the second ride. She appreciated that I drove 20 minutes to pick her up for a 6 minute ride. After dropping the passenger off I checked and saw that Lyft gave me $3 for the first ride and $2 for the second ride. She later verified the tips she paid by showing her app to me and I showed her what I was paid. Tips are instant and do not show up later and there are no excuses for this corrupt business practice. Now I wonder how long this has been going on and how much has been taken from me. I've driven Lyft for nearly two years--it could add up to thousands. I had a Friday and Saturday night one week that netted only $3 each night. I wondered at that point if they were stealing. I also get messages saying 'congratulations keep up the good work tips are rolling in' then I look and see there is $2. WTF? I'm mad as hell. Unfortunately when passengers ask me about how it is driving for Lyft they need to know the truth. I contacted Lyft about the missing tip money from my considerate passenger but have had no reply.
Well if you have proof to back it up file theft charges with your local police department. Or contact a major news agency with your evidence and let them pursue it.

Reactions: tc49821

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
I would certainly ask the PAX if they would mind sending screenshots. She seems amicable and I believe most PAX would be as upset at Lyft/Uber stealing tips as the driver. Certainly something news worthy and filing a grievance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would certainly ask the PAX if they would mind sending screenshots. She seems amicable and I believe most PAX would be as upset at Lyft/Uber stealing tips as the driver. Certainly something news worthy and filing a grievance.
[/QUOTE=

She said she would contact me but I haven't heard from her yet. Unfortunately I feel like I need to start having conversations with passengers about tips.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts