Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Uber & Spotify partnership. Slap to the face of Uberdrivers

52K views 150 replies 49 participants last post by  Jessie Newburn 
#1 · (Edited)
I feel this, and many actions prior to this, conveys what Uber's priorities are. While your drivers are complaining of wear & tear on their cars w/ low pay, falling demands w/ saturated markets, unfair ratings from entitled & often rude & disrespectful passengers, Uber in their board meeting room where everything is made of gold & diamonds [exaggerating here ;) ] asks "how can we improve the experience of these already SPOILED pax? Lets make them control the music in our Uberslave's cars thru a Spotify partnership! Great!"

http://www.dailydot.com/business/uber-spotify-app-integration/

Really Uber?

I can see it now:

pax: "Hey (driver's name), I want to play my music in your car, do you have an aux"
driver: no sir/ma'am, but I have the radio if you like
pax: never mind (then the pax gives the driver a 1-star) :(

In another scenario, since I do happen to have an aux in my 2011 Honda accord, I can see these entitled pax asking me to turn up the volume to their favorite song to a level I am not comfortable driving w/ and then giving me a 1-3star rating just because I didn't let them "turn-up" (this means party really loud) :cool:

My point is Uber should get their priorities in check. In my early days, about 3 months ago, I used not mind pax controlling my music since I do have an aux & bluetooth. But with the list of Uberdriver issues now, it's my music or no music.

Most of my riders like my music & often compliment it but am not looking forward to pax doing $6 ($4.80 after Uber's cut) trips asking to control my music. You better TIP o_O

See less See more
#3 ·
I feel this, and many actions prior to this, conveys what Uber's priorities are. While your drivers are complaining of wear & tear on their cars w/ low pay, falling demands w/ saturated markets, unfair ratings from entitled & often rude & disrespectful passengers, Uber in their board meeting room where everything is made of gold & diamonds [exaggerating here ;) ] asks "how can we improve the experience of these already SPOILED pax? Lets make them control the music in our Uberslave's cars! Great!"

Really Uber?

I can see it now:

pax: "Hey (driver's name), I want to play my music in your car, do you have an aux"

In another scenario, since I do happen to have on aux in my 2011 Honda accord, I can see these entitled pax asking me to turn up the volume to their favorite song to a level I am not comfortable driving w/ and then giving me a 1-3star rating just because I didn't let them "turn-up" (this means party really loud) :cool:

My point is Uber should get their priorities in check. In my early days, about 3 months ago, I used to be all for pax controlling my music & all since I do have an aux & bluetooth. But with the list of Uberdriver issues now, it's my music or no music.

Most of my riders like my music & often compliment it but am not looking forward to pax doing $6 ($4.80 after Uber's cut) trips asking to control my music. You better TIP o_O
This particular issue is the makings of a LOT of potential law suits. Bad move on Uber's part. It's hard enough to get the drunks home without being distracted by their perpetual disturbances and the times when one tolerates the music because of SURGE. But it is both highly distracting and annoying as all hell. Just a vehicle full of loud obnoxious drunks is punishment enough. Adding LOUD music (what's next? Video games played at ear bursting sounds?) only adds another UNSAFE condition for the drivers.

#11 ·
Our company has always tried to keep our rules and regulations at a minimum for our clients, but we actually had to create a loud music policy for our minibus, because too many passengers were creating a dangerous environment for all. We left this policy in place for all vehicles. The sound control is totally up to the driver. As is the responsibility to not be endangered.

I have already had a couple of drivers ask if we are going to put an exception in play for the new BMW which has a kick ass surround sound system for the entertainment center :)

#5 ·
I will admit to already shopping for a portable bluetooth speaker (that I can control the vol. on) that would be possibly available at certain surge rates only (or a monetary contribution;) ) More than likely just for surges though. Keep 'em distracted so I don't have to listen to their mostly vile spew. Many the sexual life bullshit spiels has been off the charts recently. I had one pax apologize recently because it was both real and pretty stupidly vile. God some of these women are ignorant.

#10 ·
I feel this, and many actions prior to this, conveys what Uber's priorities are. While your drivers are complaining of wear & tear on their cars w/ low pay, falling demands w/ saturated markets, unfair ratings from entitled & often rude & disrespectful passengers, Uber in their board meeting room where everything is made of gold & diamonds [exaggerating here ;) ] asks "how can we improve the experience of these already SPOILED pax? Lets make them control the music in our Uberslave's cars thru a Spotify partnership! Great!"

http://www.dailydot.com/business/uber-spotify-app-integration/

Really Uber?

I can see it now:

In another scenario, since I do happen to have an aux in my 2011 Honda accord, I can see these entitled pax asking me to turn up the volume to their favorite song to a level I am not comfortable driving w/ and then giving me a 1-3star rating just because I didn't let them "turn-up" (this means party really loud) :cool:

My point is Uber should get their priorities in check. In my early days, about 3 months ago, I used to be all for pax controlling my music & all since I do have an aux & bluetooth. But with the list of Uberdriver issues now, it's my music or no music.

I don't have to offer Sh*t I am and independent contractor. Just ask Uber!

#18 ·
I don't do the post 10 PM thing either....mostly because the level of snot increases with the onboarding of booze. The other is that those hours here in Indy present an abundance of those sweet (non compensatory) 5 dollar trips. NO THANKS.....I will do 10 30 dollars trips instead of 30 10 dollar trips all week long. Uber needs to put down the bong and start paying attention. Marketing through word of mouth worked very well initially but that train has left the station. It's time to invest some money into this golden egg laying goose. I sense a "smartest guy in the room" mentality from Uber mgt. and that aint gonna cut it if they want to take this thing beyond start up to established alternative to taxis. They need to understand that drivers are the ones with skin in the game and should be treated accordingly. That will take some better cooperation and communication between Uber and it's rolling assets. Either that or somebody else will. If Uber thinks that this job market they surf which provides an abundance of drivers will last forever then they need to think again. First one to treat drivers as professionals wins all the marbles.

#27 ·
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH ALL COMMENTS THIS TIME !
sometimes it's like 50% 50% lol.. but this sounds like we all agree to 100% that none of us wants that spotify nonsense !

I just wrote earlier in another post what I am usually saying if someone touches my radio buttons (1 Star guarantee for the passenger) without asking me for permission first.
I mean I don't want to be a dick and if I have nice people that are in a good mood and I feel comfortable I do the best I can do but all this goes way to far !!!

Usually I would say: "This is not a party bus, also you didn't pay for a party bus, I want to feel comfortable and safe just as you want too.."

I have no Bluetooth or aux cable (gladly !!!) usually I make a sad face if someone asks me about it lol...... just to avoid a bad rating.
But if I had Aux, well depends on the people and their respect.
let's say long distance trip and some nice tunes in an acceptable volume - nothing against that !
but not those idiots that start getting loud and thinking they are sitting in a party bus.. no way !

#28 ·
When I offered gum, I would also offer to take the trash from the wrapper but they would seem insulted, telling me they would put it in their purses or pockets. I would still find them in the door handles then.
same here bro'

Last week a guy that acted like a diva "do you have Water'? No sorry I don't do that anymore..
umm... what about gum? No sorry..
Then his friend from the rearseat gave him gum.. he seriously wanted to give me the wrapper and said,
can you trash that for me?
I said : seriously??? just put it in your pocket for now.

I saw later how he put it in the passenger door pocket.. thinking I didn't see it..
I knew the request was on the the other guys app and his behavior was absolutely friendly.. so I knew I can't blame him with a 1 star.

When we arrived and the frontseat idiot got out I kinda yelled, Hey Sir you forgot your phone.. he turned around (IDIOT!!!)
and then I said "oh no sorry I was just a gum wrapper.. then I threw it to the curb next to him.

Well I was thinking what if this idiot would have had an iphone 6plus ??
would I feel guilty bringing it to my "phoneguy ?"

Tough decision !

#29 ·
Firstly, Uber is integrating the Spotify app into the passenger's Uber app & not the driver's.
If that is true, it just goes to show that Uber has No Intention of Ever Integrating "In App" Tipping in the Uber Rider App!

#30 ·
Very dis-a-pointing :-O

I recently had a drunk but very nice guy that thought he was always giving tip thru the App, I said no that's not possible, sure you mean Lyft..
He's like "..no Uber !!!" and he showed me his app and then I saw oh yeah that's for "UBERTAXI" but we don't have it in LA, it's only in those cities where Uber X is still not allowed.

He said Oh man then I was a dick to all my friendly drivers?? I am so sorry..
I'm like "..don't worry you know we don't expect tip anyways, just be a nice person that's fine.."
He dropped a $10 !! :-D God bless him lol

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
Secondly, such a move increases the passenger's expectations of an Uber driver. Which will cost drivers in the long-term -- especially those whose cars don't offer an aux since we are talking about cars btw 2005-2015 in most markets -- as they could get lower ratings & thus be deactivated
Excellent observation!
Drivers with cars without Aux Port or Bluetooth are screwed as they'll get lower Star Rating from the spoilt Paxs, and will be deactivated! Who needs such junkyard cars on Uber's platform anyway, right Uber?

#38 · (Edited)
I read BusinessInsider daily & it looks like they got our complaints from the Uberpeople forum about the recently announced Uber & Spotify partnership. Moreover, they actually quoted me twice ;)

BusinessInsider article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-spotify-deal-upsets-drivers-2014-11

Other Uberdrivers & I were also quoted by FastCompany too:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3038668/...-already-dreading-the-new-spotify-partnership

TheNextWeb article:

http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2014/11/17/think-ubers-deal-spotify-awful-idea/

Good to see the Uberdriver frustrations are picking up in the news!:)

#39 ·
I read BusinessInsider daily & it looks like they got our complaints from the Uberpeople forum about the recently announced Uber & Spotify partnership. Moreover, they actually quoted me twice;)

BusinessInsider article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-spotify-deal-upsets-drivers-2014-11

Good to see the Uberdriver frustrations are picking up in the news!:)
hell yeah man I'm telling you this Uber driver revolution story is HOT. Everyone share it everywhere you can.

#41 ·
According to this article, drivers have to opt in for the Spotify streaming to work (and it does apparently stream through the driver's phone, not the passenger's, so the driver can be subjected to the rider's music before being subjected to the rider).

Con: Ratings might take a hit simply for not opting in

Pro: If you do opt in, rider's choice of music might be a valuable pre-screening of the rider and give you the ability to preemptively cancel.

#42 ·
At the moment, there is a toggle for this while signing in. I use T-Mobile for my Uber phone, so I am not impacted by extra data charges (music streaming is free with T-mobile), but I am still rather unlikely to offer the service. If it does actually allow us to see customer's music while en-route, I might "change my tune", because I can profile people with aggressive taste in music and avoid them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.