Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,050 Posts

· Premium Member
8,471 Posts
This article is excellent! If I understand correctly, Google created a new brand that won't be affected by any previous 'understandings' with Uber. So Uber can't sue Google for breach of contract.
breach of contract?
What contract?
Google has a more than a quarter Billion $ invested in Uber (and still has a seat at the board).

· Premium Member
8,471 Posts
Isn't this article just a bit behind its own 'news'?
A year ago Google paid $1.1 for Israeli start-up WAZE.
Just last month, Google unleashed a true RideShare service through Waze in Israel (where owning and driving a car is VERY expensive and car-pooling isn't just a convenience, but a necessity).
It's making that service available (in the northern Israeli cities of Tel Aviv, Hertzaliah and Haifa) to Waze users - and to non-Waze users via their own App: RideWith.
And they are doing it to solve a problem in Israel: the extraordinarily high cost of commuting. They aren't trying (at this point) to convince everyone who needs work to drive for Waze: they limit the number of rides you can give per day to two (presumably one on your way to work location and one on your way home).
Where Travis sees Uber as
"everyone's personal driver"​
Google and Waze see their system as
"why not share your driving costs with your neighbor?"​

This is Good vs. Evil
May the force be with them

Reactions: UberXTampa

· Registered
1,050 Posts
breach of contract?
What contract?
Google has a more than a quarter Billion $ invested in Uber (and still has a seat at the board).
First, Uber has a War Room. Surprised?
Michael I've been executing contracts for over 20yrs. One of the things I've learned is that you can have verbal contracts, a contract doesn't have to be in writing to be enforceable. Obviously that makes your 'contract' more difficult to prove in a court, however Uber has a 'stop at nothing' mentality. And Uber fully uses methods to 'slow things down' (ie Uber would sue Google) if necessary.
This article says:
"It never made sense for Google to invest in Uber."
"There are other signs that Google and Uber aren't getting along..."
"A cold war is being fought."
"It would make sense for Alphabet to focus on ride-sharing."
HERE'S THE GEM:
"....Alphabet isn't bound by any promises Google might have made to Uber."
So, there you go. :)

· Premium Member
8,471 Posts
First, Uber has a War Room. Surprised?
Michael I've been executing contracts for over 20yrs. One of the things I've learned is that you can have verbal contracts...
One corporation investing a quarter billion dollars in another company, does not have a legally enforceable, binding contract with anyone unless it is in writing. (funny side story: I once did a $500,000+ contract while having a drink with the buyer for a major US retailer. It was a verbal agreement... but we wrote it up on a cocktail napkin, dated and signed it - and then toasted it).

If you have some example that you can show me from any case in the US where one corp has been held liable for breach of a 'verbal agreement' with another corp, I'd love to see it.
(and you're talking about some fictitious contract that you are assuming exists ?... so I don't get the point? <shrug>)

But I think you're focusing on the trees and ignoring the forest...
which is that Google can toss around a qtr bil $ as a means to understand and stake out a position in a business in which it is interested - and then later (or even simultaneously) make a decision to acquire and pursue other companies that are related to the industry. Google has done this time and again, often taking heat from Google investors for investing way outside the core business of 'Google'. It has proven that it can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Alphabet takes that heat off, as it can now do what it wants as far as investing in future technologies, while allowing Google to be judged on what it alone does.

Reactions: UberRidiculous
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.