Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the many unrealistic things uber says, insurance is most dangerous one. I think too many drivers are operating with a huge risk and some don't know. Even those who know are just driving and hoping that nothing happens and it is just not a good idea. GOD HELP UBER DRIVERS and 4.8+-rating riders.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Uber has nothing to lose by some shlub driver losing everything he/she has due to the financial impact of an accident. They could have done this along with a number of other things the right way.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had no idea until I saw the addendum. I closed the app and called my insurance company, Geico, immediately and beefed up my insurance. It was like 6 bucks more. Now, I'm all good.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
What state are you in, kbrown?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your a dc resident you can purchase a hybrid policy through Eerie. In Va and Md you can purchase through Geico.

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
Metromile is available in Virginia, as well.

I drove UberX to-day instead of the taxi. I had to agree to the "DC TNC addendum" before I could go on line. It told me that Uber would be submitting all of this information to the State of Maryland to obtain a licence "on my behalf". It appears that there will be no opting out of Maryland as there was for Virginia.

So, all of you boys and girls who are UberXing in the Washington Metropolitan Area with DC, Maryland or Virginia plates, call G.E.I.CO. Erie or Metromile and get proper coverage. I suspect that the State of Maryland will do something similar to what the Commonwealth of Virginia has done: post the information of licencees to a database that is accessible to insurance companies. Anyone who does not purchase the appropriate endorsements or policies could be looking at being dropped or non-renewed.

If anyone wants the Erie information, send me a PM and I will give you the information. I live in D.C. and have the Erie policy with the appropriate endorsement.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Buying all this hybrid insurance only makes Uber lower paying. You have to risk it with the min insurance, that is the only way now.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My insurance tripled after changing to commercial.
If it's good insurance from a reputable company that will actually pay out, a commercial policy is going to be at least double a personal policy.

Sometimes cheap insurance ends up being incredibly expensive once you actually need it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If it's good insurance from a reputable company that will actually pay out, a commercial policy is going to be at least double a personal policy.

Sometimes cheap insurance ends up being incredibly expensive once you actually need it.
True dat. It's more expensive, but my deductable went way down with my commercial insurance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I finally broke down and called Geico. I asked for the gap policy he ended up pitching this hybrid commercial personal policy and I was shocked the rate wasn't terrible. He had to beg to make the pitch. I told him they always quoted my astronomical rates in the past and I wouldn't use Geico in a million years but they shocked me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's sad. People are taking risks and giving away free time, for net pay that's basically what McDonald's pays in some cities.
I'm trying to understand the motive of making this statement, and quite frankly all of them here. Obviously from your tone you aren't a driver if you feel that way.

Anyone who agrees with you also would not be a driver, so the question is: why are you here?

If you ARE a driver, and arrived at those conclusions, then you're emotionally trapped in adolescence.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm trying to understand the motive of making this statement, and quite frankly all of them here. Obviously from your tone you aren't a driver if you feel that way.

Anyone who agrees with you also would not be a driver, so the question is: why are you here?

If you ARE a driver, and arrived at those conclusions, then you're emotionally trapped in adolescence.
I was a driver. I stopped because the market was oversaturated, surge was down, and I was netting less than $18/hr by early summer 2015. It was no longer with my time for a variety of reasons.

Uber is a lot different than it was in fall 2014. Fare cuts, Santander loans, requiring commercial insurance and Maryland tnc/psc approval, etc.

Just spreading the truth that Uber will keep cutting fares and favoring pax. I take Uber for short trips downtown or to the airport for work. Uber is awesome for pax and the customer service for pax is far better than for drivers. Night and day.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Among the many unrealistic things uber says, insurance is most dangerous one. I think too many drivers are operating with a huge risk and some don't know. Even those who know are just driving and hoping that nothing happens and it is just not a good idea. GOD HELP UBER DRIVERS and 4.8+-rating riders.
For entire year, summer of 2013 to summer of 2014 Uber provided zero insurance and let many drivers operate on regular tags/insurance without any umbrella policy at all. This is no surprise at all!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally broke down and called Geico. I asked for the gap policy he ended up pitching this hybrid commercial personal policy and I was shocked the rate wasn't terrible. He had to beg to make the pitch. I told him they always quoted my astronomical rates in the past and I wouldn't use Geico in a million years but they shocked me.
Who did you call? My rate is $200/month for full-coverage on a $28000 car. Is that fair or she cheated me with some diamond coverage? She told me that was the cheapest she could do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts