Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to make everyone aware about a scam that is going on.

I accepted a ride from a 5 star rating pax today on west Alabama. While driving to the destination I recieved a phone call from who I assumed was the pax. Turns out it was a person claiming they are an uber rep and wanted to verify that I am the registered driver for the account.

Thinking nothing of it and it sounded legit they asked me to pull over and cancel the ride so I can verify some information.

First hint to the scam was they said I would receive a $50 cancelation fee for canceling the ride. I cancel the ride and they ask me to verify what car I am driving. Sounded simple enough so I complied. Where it got fishy was when they said they would be sending me a text message asking me to confirm my email address as well as my password for the account. After thinking about it I hung up the phone.

Sure enough a minute later I recieved another phone call from a random number. I ignored it after 3 calls and finally answered the 4th. They tried to reassure me that they are calling from the uber offices and needed to verify my account in order to keep driving.

I decided to follow up with some questions to see if it was legit. I asked them what my plate number was if they work for uber and they followed up with "I need the password to your account to verify the plate numbers" he now said I would be receiving a $200 bonus for complying for all X drivers. I lied and told him I was a select driver and he offered a $500. I told him they should try and find another scam to try and be a nucence to people. He then proceeded to try and reassure me again by giving me Ubers corporate address. I asked him for a direct uber office phone line since I know almost nobody has access to that information and they hung up. Sure enough I didn't receive any follow up phone calls.

Just wanted to put this out there and hope no one falls for it. Hopefully uber does something to better verify pax accounts and protect drivers. Spread the word because we know uber won't.

Sorry about the long post.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
How did they know your number and know you work for Uber? Do you give out business cards?
They didn't make that association dialing around randomly.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
How did they know your number and know you work for Uber? Do you give out business cards?
They didn't make that association dialing around randomly.
It's the rider that uses the virtual number uber has to contact the driver. Once the scammers get your password, they change instant pay to their card number & empty your earnings.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Talked to someone at Bush who fell for this. Asked me what the to do. "Change your password, NOW."
Asked me if that was all he should do: How in the hell would I know, dude?
I've been a victim of identity theft: it's the gift that keeps on giving. You're never fully sure that it's over.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Thanks for this post. While I would not fall for it either there are many folks that would and this is a very important warning. NO ONE will ever ask you for an account password. Not just Uber, but no one from any account you have will EVER ask you for your password. That is the #1 clue that you are about to get scammed. Uber (and everyone else) can see all of the information in your account that they are allowed to access WITHOUT your password. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out your password to anyone for any reason. You should also be sure that your password is not "password" or "1234567". It should it also not be a word that's in the dictionary but rather a combination of letters, numbers and symbols. Can't remember your password? Think of your favorite phrase and use the first letter of each word. There's your new password (substitute a number for a letter or ! for an L.
Take me out to the ball park = password... Tm0Ttbp! (capital T and number 0) Usually the password should be 8 or more digits so I added the ! for good measure.

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is so simple anyone can do it. Now that the word is spreading, we'll see a lot more of it. I'm sure the caller won't be dumb enough to enter his correct location so I'm thinking about downloading a caller tracker to see if it works. Tell them I'm on my way to verify in person.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This is so simple anyone can do it. Now that the word is spreading, we'll see a lot more of it. I'm sure the caller won't be dumb enough to enter his correct location so I'm thinking about downloading a caller tracker to see if it works. Tell them I'm on my way to verify in person.
Just do a forum search on "scam". It's hitting everywhere.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dang! What an easy scam for someone to do! Wow. I'm really glad you shared about this, not that I would ever get my password out to anybody. But still… good to know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had 2 scams tried on me since I signed up (not counting signing up lol)

Here's one:

I got a "Select" request while in the Champions area. Rider's name said "Big". The pick up was from a pretty seedy and run down Extended Stay on 1960. A young black couple got in my car. Their destination was Ace Cash Express in The Woodlands, which seemed odd because there had to be many check cashing/transfer places between the pick up location and The Woodlands.

Anyway, the first thing they said was they were professional musicians from Chicago, and their agent in L.A. was sending them cash. They then asked me if I was available for private hire during some large music event coming up in Houston, and if I had a method to take credit card payment. I said yes, and gave them a business card with my number.

About 4 miles down the road, they asked how far the destination was, I told them, then they said "Oh no, too far, turnaround." I did. They asked if I could just pop into WalMart, that they'd get cash there. I did. They came out and had some excuse why they couldn't get cash. We continued back. Then they asked me to pull in to Walgreen's near there hotel to try again. I did. Same thing, no luck getting cash. They were acting frustrated. I dropped them at their hotel and left. $19 fare.

A few moments later I got a text (funny thing was he had a Chicago number) from someone claiming to be the agent of my last riders. Said he needed to get them cash, but couldn't break away from a big meeting he was in. Said if I would take his clients $250 cash, he would give me his credit card info and I could charge his card $300. I didn't respond to his text. He texted and called for 3 straight days, I never answered or responded.

It became pretty clear after thinking about it that these people set up their Uber account with a stolen credit card and were trying to scam drivers out of cash. They requested "Select" as those drivers are more likely to have a method to take credit cards. The credit card would go through on my Square account, just like it did when they set up on Uber, but in a few weeks when it was flagged, I might receive a charge back and they and their Uber account would be long gone - along with my $250!

·
Registered
931 Posts
wow is all I can say. I guess people sit around thinking of new complex ways to scam people. They should apply to HCAD and put their skills to real use.

You should counter and say that you are an uber customer reward driver and need to know their location as you have a $50 amazon gift card for all passengers today. Get to them snap a picture of them and drive off. Post the pic of them here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts