Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber reacting to defend its territory against new rideshare apps.

If you read all the details in the link articles below, it seems to be Uber is adjusting to new competitors by soon removing Surge from all areas and keeping fixed pricing no matter what way you drive.

So regardless of any rider detours, time messing about with additional pickups etc, the price is fixed according to the original destination entered by the rider. You need to enter any destination changes in the app each time otherwise you only earn what the Uber map entered routing and travel calculations. "The price you agreed on will still be the price you pay."

Great to avoid dodgy drivers trying to go the long way but I bet that riders will exploit this to squeeze even more out of the tiny cost of travel in Brisbane.

Lower ratings will be given to drivers because you have to enter travel changes each time, then the rider has to confirm the change on their app. So the trip requires more work and extra time to mess about.

When they say they are testing, they mean they are letting people adjust to new changes lol. The fare drop in QLD was a trial also, still here isnt it? Best way to make it more difficult for GoCatch etc to enter this state market if the Govt approves it is by getting all the customers on their platform at whatever cost it takes. Now with this new "fixed" pricing.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12017002/uber-surge-pricing-upfront-fare-app-update-announcement

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/23/surgepurge/

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Uber reacting to defend its territory against new rideshare apps.

If you read all the details in the link articles below, it seems to be Uber is adjusting to new competitors by soon removing Surge from all areas and keeping fixed pricing no matter what way you drive.

So regardless of any rider detours, time messing about with additional pickups etc, the price is fixed according to the original destination entered by the rider. You need to enter any destination changes in the app each time otherwise you only earn what the Uber map entered routing and travel calculations. "The price you agreed on will still be the price you pay."

Great to avoid dodgy drivers trying to go the long way but I bet that riders will exploit this to squeeze even more out of the tiny cost of travel in Brisbane.

Lower ratings will be given to drivers because you have to enter travel changes each time, then the rider has to confirm the change on their app. So the trip requires more work and extra time to mess about.

When they say they are testing, they mean they are letting people adjust to new changes lol. The fare drop in QLD was a trial also, still here isnt it? Best way to make it more difficult for GoCatch etc to enter this state market if the Govt approves it is by getting all the customers on their platform at whatever cost it takes. Now with this new "fixed" pricing.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12017002/uber-surge-pricing-upfront-fare-app-update-announcement

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/23/surgepurge/
USA at the moment, but everything follows over and the changes will get faster over time.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This is our experience in the USA... Drivers are still paid for time and distance at contractual rates multiplied by any surge multiplier regardless of the fixed cost offered passengers. The fixed cost offered will be higher according to the surge multiplier in effect in the area of the pickup address.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is our experience in the USA... Drivers are still paid for time and distance at contractual rates multiplied by any surge multiplier regardless of the fixed cost offered passengers. The fixed cost offered will be higher according to the surge multiple in effect in the area of the pickup address.
Appreciate the info on that :)

·
Registered
937 Posts
So if you encounter stand-still traffic or a detour the driver is paying for it out of their own time? And how about when the fixed fare excludes tolls but the rider says "ignore that, go this way it's faster, I'm local"

The only way this fixed rate could work is if the rates are higher to average out the trips where you make a loss.

Lastly, if the trip price is fixed does that mean Uber will tell the driver what the trip is worth when the ping comes in? I doubt it. JUST IMAGINE SEEING THIS: New trip request 8mins away for $4.80.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you encounter stand-still traffic or a detour the driver is paying for it out of their own time? And how about when the fixed fare excludes tolls but the rider says "ignore that, go this way it's faster, I'm local"

The only way this fixed rate could work is if the rates are higher to average out the trips where you make a loss.

Lastly, if the trip price is fixed does that mean Uber will tell the driver what the trip is worth when the ping comes in? I doubt it. JUST IMAGINE SEEING THIS: New trip request 8mins away for $4.80.
The questions you bring up about drivers will be followed by a copy and paste response to direct you to Ubers terms and conditions lol. Im sure Uber will make sure the drivers are looked after via ridiculous guarantees if your standing during an eclipse while patting your head and rubbing your tummy haha.

I can give you an official answer about your last question about drivers seeing trip price before pickup. And that is a NO in capital letters lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
once it become fix price, driver rating should be removed, it'll be pointless then lol, with fix pricing it will operate under limousine license where both parties have agreed to price so....

·
Registered
54 Posts
it'll mostly be.. accept this trip @ 45$ 5mins away....

but the problem is.. half riders aren't gonna list the right address to get a cheaper rider... you get to the destination.. sorrie you need get out now, this is all you paid for lol.... he/she gonna be like " fk that driver...1star **** " lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
how will the driver know if its high demand ??
How do you work out if its viable ?? Pickup Bob in 3 mins for $20... does it show the destination before you accept ?? You turn up & then the app says its a 30 km drive for $20, ah no - sorry Bob GTFO
If its 20 bucks for 3 km's :) Hello Bob, matey, jump in :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Some of you are driving off the road, so to speak, in your understanding of fixed fares for passengers. If the ride has higher time or distance than estimated by Uber, Uber still will pay for the driver's actual time and distance (using the surge multiplier, if any) and subsidize any extra. Drivers are not told if the passenger is getting a fixed, upfront fare, and driver compensation is not a fixed percentage of the upfront fare a passenger may be given/charged.

If a rider wants to take a different, longer route to the *same* final destination, the driver will be paid accordingly.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

This is just UberPool renamed and limited to a single pax...

The driver will be paid x rates, while the pax will be charged whatever Uber can get out of the pax!

Uber pool drivers only get between 25-50% of the total fares that paxs pay. I see this being no different.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This is just UberPool renamed and limited to a single pax...

The driver will be paid x rates, while the pax will be charged whatever Uber can get out of the pax!

Uber pool drivers only get between 25-50% of the total fares that paxs pay. I see this being no different.
uber have removed their rates from their websites

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
uber have removed their rates from their websites
Yep... Drivers will be moved over to fixed 'rates' like UberPool jobs, and just like UberPool jobs will have no idea what a pax is paying. Uber will pocket as much as it can, just like UberPool jobs.

Hiding the rates is just the start!

Hopefully there is a max exit of drivers when they wake up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
likewise they need remove the rating lol... not the price, watch other company bend uber over, after their hard work lol
but yeh with fix pricing, seem uber will lose it profit

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Probably not.. They might offer incentives to make you and the riding public feel good about it.
Drivers will switch between whatever platform pays the most.

So once Uber incentives disappear, so might the drivers!

Riders will go with whoever can provide a driver!

Heck, if Lyft entered with only 10% commission, same rates. I'll be moving over! So they don't need to slash/burn the rates to get drivers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts