Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sydney Morning Herald reporter Laura Dymock says in the video link below "Uber says drivers are being fined but their not paying up. The company is telling it's drivers to contest the fines."

I unable to put the link in here but Google:
Uber attracts more car-less drivers as entrepreneurs buy up ride-share fleets

Text below video player also reads: Fines for drivers have doubled in Queensland but Uber is urging them not to pay as it vows to continue operating. 7 News Queensland

The usual fashion for Fairfax Media to add video files not directly related to the article is nothing new as the article relates to the risky leasing options out there. What concerned me the most though is the reporter had stated something Uber may have said, but the representative driver says Uber still pays the fines. Sorry Leeanne Clarry (Uber Driver) but I think Im going to have to go with what Uber apparently said about the fines.

--------------------------------

Anyone go to Ubers "Sausage Sizzle" info meet today?
Would love to know what they say how things will be. And exact wording they used e.g. "You will be busier on the road with the 20% price cut"

If they dont pay the fines, Uber wants its drivers to risk high fines while they:
  • Over saturate the market with drivers (Hence the reason for the $200 driver referral ending soon)
  • Pay 20% less on fares which you have to pay 10% GST on the full fare before the 20% Uber fee (Oh but you have more fares and work more to make the same amount or less)
  • Marks on your driving record, restricting you to even try and get another driving related job because you'll lose your DA (Also means you cant do Uber anymore)
Like really? And Uber reaches out to drivers to "Let out local MP know that you expect them to stand up for your right to access flexible work." Even though they reduced prices on an already cheap priced service.

I was thrilled when Uber came to Brisbane, to allow me to run my tech start up business and still let me survive some what without sacrificing my dream to go to a full time job. I now face the reality that I have to postpone my dreams to work elsewhere to survive. Uber income is not something I think I'm entitled to make worker demands but Im disappointed that a great idea is almost good for the "drivers" because
  • Politicians need to look like there doing something to keep their jobs (e.g. Katter clown)
  • Uber General Manager of Australia is being pressed to grow rapid user numbers by Head office to keep his job
  • Uber General Manager of Qld is being pressed to look good with growth analytics to keep his job
  • etc etc

And so we have the people that lose the most, hard working Australians who dont want to go on centrelink to get benefits. Riders should know we are not buying diamond necklaces with how much drivers earn. And Uber doesnt pay for mints and water. The drivers do.

For new drivers there is a reason why they dont tell you the costs of applying, true tax obligations and what you really make per hour these days even before running costs. They are sales people, not Silicon Valley tech innovators. Same people who would recruit you to sell Kirby Vacuums door to door back in the day :)

Be smart people and always do your homework because Uber does not have drivers in their best interest. No driver would dare risk saying on the news the break down of it all. Drivers are a temporary necessity for future transport technologies.

Good luck paying that $2500+ fine and associated legal fees to fight it if you lose. Some solicitors can make guaranteed $100 per hour lol.

Good luck everyone and sorry for the long rant. Im just trying to survive like all of us in here and now have to adjust my plans to get where Im going. Uber wont really be mentioned in my autobiography is all lol.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The increase in fines in Qld is nothing more than a slush fund to pay off the taxi plate owners if and when the stupid government ever hands downs it's findings from their stupid commission which is taking 12 months longer than any other state.

What Uber still refuses to tell potential drivers (apart from "we've got your back") is that the fine comes to you personally, and it may hinder your chances at future employment when a potential employer finds out that you've worked in an illegal industry.

Uber's continued dropping of rates is ridiculous, the only hope is when ridesharing (and we know it's not real ridesharing) becomes legal here in Qld. Hopefully Lyft comes to Australia and then at least you might make some tips, but a better hope is that maybe an Aussie competitor pops up - a competitor that offers everything Uber originally offered (mints, drinks, etc) but also at a decent return to the driver. Trust me, PAX are getting fed up with Uber already - the major reason people changed was because they didn't like the service offered by the traditional Taxi service - at the rates Uber is paying drivers, all they are getting is disgruntled ex-taxi drivers who still embody everything that PAX hate about drivers albeit at half the cost.

·
Registered
131 Posts
While I agree that the Qld government is slow with is review, the hope is that they have been thorough.
The have seen what NSW have done and what other jurisdictions around the world are doing.
I believe that ridshareing will become legal in Qld, but Uber wouldn't like the rules. They are about to pull out of Toronto Canada for this very reason.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Applicants and driver authorisation holders are required to notify the chief executive of a driver disqualifying offence.

Applicants and driver authorisation holders are required to inform the department if they are charged with a driver disqualifying offence and when the outcome of the charge has been finalised. (Uber is a category C offence - an offence against the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Regulation 2005, for which the maximum penalty is at least 20 penalty units)

But.. heres where it gets interesting and even something I've overlooked. (1 x Penalty point = $117.80)

Failure to supply this information is an offence for which there is a maximum of up to 100 penalty units.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
While I agree that the Qld government is slow with is review, the hope is that they have been thorough.
The have seen what NSW have done and what other jurisdictions around the world are doing.
I believe that ridshareing will become legal in Qld, but Uber wouldn't like the rules. They are about to pull out of Toronto Canada for this very reason.
Think you are on the money there. People need to keep in mind they are looking at under what circumstances ride share would be legislated not Über. Uber will need to work around said legislation. Queensland has always been a little bit different and takes pride in that. A bit like Georgia in the states.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Drivers in Toronto, Canada are also fed-up. Except a few who are all pro Uber.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Applicants and driver authorisation holders are required to notify the chief executive of a driver disqualifying offence.

Applicants and driver authorisation holders are required to inform the department if they are charged with a driver disqualifying offence and when the outcome of the charge has been finalised. (Uber is a category C offence - an offence against the Transport Operations (Passenger Transport) Regulation 2005, for which the maximum penalty is at least 20 penalty units)

But.. heres where it gets interesting and even something I've overlooked. (1 x Penalty point = $117.80)

Failure to supply this information is an offence for which there is a maximum of up to 100 penalty units.
WTF? And DOUBLE WTF?

Why is an applicant required to notify the chief executive of anything? If you are an Uber driver and get fined, then the TMR records your drivers licence number. Surely the chief executive (whoever the hell he/she is) has the power to check with TMR to see if you've been charged with an offence. It's no wonder Qld is the backwards state. What a crock of shit.

This nearly amounts to someone applying for a blue card to work with children and saying "Please tell us if you have a child sex offence against you". I mean, we are going to check anyway, but if you lie to us then we'll double the penalty. What they hell? If you are going to check someone's history why does it matter if they lie or not? They're going to be found out and rejected. It's no wonder our public service in Qld is bloated and out of control - they pay about 10 people to do the job of 1 person.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
WTF? And DOUBLE WTF?

Why is an applicant required to notify the chief executive of anything? If you are an Uber driver and get fined, then the TMR records your drivers licence number. Surely the chief executive (whoever the hell he/she is) has the power to check with TMR to see if you've been charged with an offence. It's no wonder Qld is the backwards state. What a crock of shit.

This nearly amounts to someone applying for a blue card to work with children and saying "Please tell us if you have a child sex offence against you". I mean, we are going to check anyway, but if you lie to us then we'll double the penalty. What they hell? If you are going to check someone's history why does it matter if they lie or not? They're going to be found out and rejected. It's no wonder our public service in Qld is bloated and out of control - they pay about 10 people to do the job of 1 person.
7000 "new government employees" on board in 12 months since Palaschuk took over equals 46 percent of all Qld Government income spent on wages and salaries
Most companies would go bang if their entire overheads were over 30 percent
Work that one out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts