Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/18/17995540/uber-voip-data-call

On Thursday, Uber announced a new way for riders and drivers to communicate through the company's app using voice over internet protocol, or VoIP. Much like Skype or FaceTime audio, Uber's new VoIP feature uses an internet connection rather than cellular phone service to make calls. The ride-hailing company has been trialing the VoIP feature since June, and it announced its global availability today at a conference in San Francisco.

·
Administrator
7,795 Posts
Why?

Seriously, someone explain to my thick skull why they did this ‘cause I’m not seeing a need for this.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Pretty much everyone has unlimited talk time, but data is a more expensive add-on. Make Uber sense that the solution to save people money is to push everyone to Uber VOIP and burn limited data vs unlimited voice.

SMH. Everyday Uber comes up with new ways to prove their incompetence.

·
Premium Member
64,580 Posts
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/18/17995540/uber-voip-data-call

On Thursday, Uber announced a new way for riders and drivers to communicate through the company's app using voice over internet protocol, or VoIP. Much like Skype or FaceTime audio, Uber's new VoIP feature uses an internet connection rather than cellular phone service to make calls. The ride-hailing company has been trialing the VoIP feature since June, and it announced its global availability today at a conference in San Francisco.
This handy method allows Uber to
RAISE MILLIONS IN REVENUE SELLING EVERYONES VOICE PRINT TO BIG BROTHER!
Since Facial Recognition Data has panned out . . .

Mankind is being sewn into a bag.

Question EVERYTHING !

Any " Convenience" is not for Your benefit ! It is how they lull you into acceptance of TOTAL INVASION.

WHICH PRECEDES TOTAL DOMINATION . . . . .

FREE WILL !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Think they have a conglomerate type entity (with Uberworks etc) in mind and this is a component of it; and everyone is a free tester of their app and components for them right now.
I would think that is if not Ding, ding ding. At the very least a large contributing factor.

But think ya nailed it.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
As long as I can still receive the call over my regular phone, I don't mind. Otherwise I pay for my data per GB and do not want to have to pay extra to receive calls from passengers.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Why?

Seriously, someone explain to my thick skull why they did this 'cause I'm not seeing a need for this.
Plenty 'o reasons.

Like:

1. it's cheaper than paying connectors.

2. You can snoop on it easier since you own the encryption method.

3. They are probably thinking they can use it to serve as study for code that recognizes code words for a plethora of reasons to automate stuff/ **** drivers.

4. Speech recognition tests?

Who knows really but I really just think they are going for cheaper stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts