Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please go easy on me, first thread I have initiated....

I picked up a flagger downtown and after a little small talk the passenger inquired "what do you think about Uber?"

My response to that is always "**** Uber", and usually the conversation is polite and interesting after that.

This time, not. The passenger went on to tell me that he drove for them and cleared $1000 a week and that I should consider driving for them, and that they were going to put the cab industry out of business. Normally, I would have considered this intolerable and tossed him out of the cab. He seemed nice, however, and I thought this might be fun, so I stayed pleasant and conversational.

I told him that I flat out didn't believe his earning claim, mentioned the rate cuts, and told him i didn't care to drive spoiled brat non-tippers around downtown for perhaps $2.00. He claimed that the secret to his success was working the outlying areas of the city.

More back and forth banter, but I never asked him why as such an avid Uber driver that he chose to take a cab.

Is Uber developing a cult like following with cash incentives to actually attempt to recruit me in a cab?

·
Registered
96 Posts
"Drink the Kool-Aid, F-uber. Be one of us." ;)

I'm hardly a conspiracy theorist, but I would not be surprised if Uber tried a recruiting scheme like you mention.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sure. Every driver you recommend is like 150 or something. Maybe he figures you are already driving, so you must enjoy it.. And thought you would be an easy target. Some people aren't so bright.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If cabbies are making decent money at all, I don't know why they would consider uber. I don't know a single driver that is happy with what they make.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think that many drivers are currently making much money here, but many cabbies have tried the Uber thing and then return to the traditional cab. This guy was nice, even tipped well, but he even had the gall to ask me what I make as a cabbie. Not cool.

I am so thankful that I had the option of dumping him on the side of the road if I felt it was overly insulting. It was really surreal in that he was like a Scientologist.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I don't think that many drivers are currently making much money here, but many cabbies have tried the Uber thing and then return to the traditional cab. This guy was nice, even tipped well, but he even had the gall to ask me what I make as a cabbie. Not cool.

I am so thankful that I had the option of dumping him on the side of the road if I felt it was overly insulting. It was really surreal in that he was like a Scientologist.
He was either an uber employee who doesn't drive, just recruits, or he's a lying driver. Either way, tipping you wasn't very uber of him.

·
Registered
436 Posts
and if Uber is so great in his mind why is he taking a cab? As a driver he should know Uber is cheaper.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and if Uber is so great in his mind why is he taking a cab? As a driver he should know Uber is cheaper.
He opted for choosing a quality driver because of his own experience with Uber.

Joking! Not a serious comment. He obviously chose to take a small financial risk to go for the recruitment bonus. I can't figure out any other reason he would pull this antic.

·
Registered
933 Posts
He opted for choosing a quality driver because of his own experience with Uber.

Joking! Not a serious comment. He obviously chose to take a small financial risk to go for the recruitment bonus. I can't figure out any other reason he would pull this antic.
Probably worried he would get someone who he lied to during recruitment as his Uber driver and would get the shit beat out of him. LOL

·
Registered
314 Posts
Please go easy on me, first thread I have initiated....

I picked up a flagger downtown and after a little small talk the passenger inquired "what do you think about Uber?"

My response to that is always "**** Uber", and usually the conversation is polite and interesting after that.

This time, not. The passenger went on to tell me that he drove for them and cleared $1000 a week and that I should consider driving for them, and that they were going to put the cab industry out of business. Normally, I would have considered this intolerable and tossed him out of the cab. He seemed nice, however, and I thought this might be fun, so I stayed pleasant and conversational.

I told him that I flat out didn't believe his earning claim, mentioned the rate cuts, and told him i didn't care to drive spoiled brat non-tippers around downtown for perhaps $2.00. He claimed that the secret to his success was working the outlying areas of the city.

More back and forth banter, but I never asked him why as such an avid Uber driver that he chose to take a cab.

Is Uber developing a cult like following with cash incentives to actually attempt to recruit me in a cab?
Working the outlying areas can be very hit or miss. Yes, you can get a $60-$90 ride from Round Rock or Lakeway to the airport, or you could sit for 4+ hours outside downtown with no pings. Both have happened to me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had a nice drive at 7 pm from below 71 in SW Austin, and he tells me.. I have to be at the airport by 7:30 cause that's when my flight leaves. :eek: Say what?!!

I got him there in 15 mins (miraculously) and he says.. Def a 5 star rating for you! No tip: :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Probably worried he would get someone who he lied to during recruitment as his Uber driver and would get the shit beat out of him. LOL
Sort of like beating the shit out of the Navy recruiter who told you that you'd get a nice vacation and Uncle Sam would pick up the tab?

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Had a nice drive at 7 pm from below 71 in SW Austin, and he tells me.. I have to be at the airport by 7:30 cause that's when my flight leaves.
Sounds to me that that dumb ass pax deserved far less than 5-stars ... if he were a BlackCar pax, I would have told him to call the airline to reschedule the flight. However, his failure to plan and my honesty would have resulted in me getting 1-star. *hopefully, you gave him what he deserved, considering he was willing to put your livelihood at risk ... as there's no way you made that trip driving the speed limit

Reactions: Babybluenatx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a nice drive at 7 pm from below 71 in SW Austin, and he tells me.. I have to be at the airport by 7:30 cause that's when my flight leaves. :eek: Say what?!!

I got him there in 15 mins (miraculously) and he says.. Def a 5 star rating for you! No tip: :mad:
I gave up on rushing them to the airport... Most of them don't tip and it's easy to request an uber. Manage you time better

·
Registered
157 Posts
I rarely give less than 5 stars. Not like any of us would refuse to pick up a 4.8 or a 4.6 when we are barely making any money as it is. At least it was over $20 for that trip. Had it been a smaller fare.. Maybe less than 5. Rating are dumb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts