Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.recode.net/2017/3/19/14976110/uber-president-jeff-jones-quits

He is leaving after apparently deciding the current controversies are too much to handle.

Jeff Jones, the president of Uber, is quitting the car-hailing company after less than a year. The move by the No. 2 exec, said sources, is directly related to the multiple controversies there, including explosive charges of sexism and sexual harassment.

(UPDATE: Uber confirmed the departure and will be sending a statement.)

Jones, said sources, determined that this was not the situation he signed on for, especially after Uber CEO Travis Kalanick announced a search for a new COO to help him right the very troubled ship.

That was not the reason for Jones' departure, sources said, even though it meant that Kalanick was bringing in a new exec who could outrank him. Instead, these sources said, Jones determined that the situation at the company was more problematic than he realized.

Jones was certainly touted by Kalanick as a big hire when he arrived at Uber last fall from Target, where he was its well-regarded CMO. His job, among others, was to remake the company's tainted image. He also was president of its main ride-sharing business.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
rats are jumping ship. Going forward, having boober on your resume will be a liability for tech nerds. With their fantasy of self driving cars running into serious headwinds, execs are probably coming to the realization that most of us realized a long time ago.....this business model isn't viable.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Is it now safe to say that Big Foober is falling apart at the seams?

Reactions: backstreets-trans

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Psh...I think they should just save themselves from further embarrassment and close up shop tomorrow. They should hand all the current drivers up to about $20,000 for our trouble based on length of time on the platform -- especially to those of us who came on board the first year Uber came into our respective local markets -- (since they're supposedly worth $70B) before they turn out the lights for good.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
That "Year of the Driver" thing...yeah...Travis will take up the slack and get right on that. We all knew that the YotD thing was some bulldookey from the get-go. o_O

Reactions: Shangsta

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Wasn't he the one who promised 2017 was the year of the driver. So much for that. I guess uber will go back to screwing the drivers over as much as possible.
Beat my prediction by a few months as to how long he would last. But knew something was up and his days were numbered when we stopped getting his email updates.Don't think Uber ever stopped screwing the drivers however even with him onboard

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Beat my prediction by a few months as to how long he would last. But knew something was up and his days were numbered when we stopped getting his email updates.Don't think Uber ever stopped screwing the drivers over even with him onboard.
He's the latest guy to join the #deleteuber campaign. I guess getting abused on his 30 minute Q&A with drivers was too much for him.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He probably really wanted to improve things for drivers. When he realized they would never allow that, he gave up. Why stick around to be a punching bag? Uber needs a new CEO.
I think that's right, but I can also believe that the Waymo lawsuit so threatens Uber's long term that Jeff Jones found there was not enough punch in the punch bowl for him to wet his willy with.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
He probably really wanted to improve things for drivers. When he realized they would never allow that, he gave up. Why stick around to be a punching bag? Uber needs a new CEO.
That q and a session where he dodged all the questions showed that is a crock.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I'm a computer science student and when I graduate I will be looking elsewhere for employment. For a hot minute I thought I was going apply to work on the other side of the app. Now it looks like this might be Uber in 4 years.
View attachment 106608
Where are you in your studies?

If given an open source Uberlike backend and frontend, can you devops up a scalable system across AWS?

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,354 Posts
I'm only second quarter. That's why I said 4 years. We are learning C#, Databases, SQL, and HTML, so far. Future quarters we will be learning web development, graphics design, Android systems, Java, JavaScript, application development, Angular .....Much much more that I can't remember off hand. I'm going for my bachelor degree in Computer science. I already talked to Uber. They told me they wouldn't be hiring me for any engineer position until I got my bachelors because Uber only hires the best of the best. They did tell me that they would have other positions within the company at my 2 year mark. Also Uber runs C, C++, and Python. Python I already tinkered around with. But C and C++............Yeah I'll definitely need more programming under my belt before I touch those.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uber only hires the best of the best.
Oh yeah, that explains all the app crashes, the 10,000 devs needed to keep a site and two apps running, the myriad security issues, and all the bugs.

But C and C++
Oh, well that also explains the above.

Do you know who hires the best of the best of the best, sir?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Beat my prediction by a few months as to how long he would last. But knew something was up and his days were numbered when we stopped getting his email updates.Don't think Uber ever stopped screwing the drivers however even with him onboard
I think it was that dumpster-fire session on FB that tipped the scale . . .

Well I'm a computer science student and when I graduate I will be looking elsewhere for employment. For a hot minute I thought I was going apply to work on the other side of the app. Now it looks like this might be Uber in 4 years.
View attachment 106608
If I win the lottery, you're hired!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts