Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two months of "above and beyond" customer service , my rating was 4.87.

I took a pool request near Penn. It's been my practice to take 1/3 or slightly more to pull one for the team, but I surely regret this one. Several pick ups and several drop offs complete with quasi- accurate pick up points.

A young girl sits in the front seat with two people in the rear seats. I drop off the two rear passengers and get a ping for a new passenger. Girl in front seat starts to wring her hands, literally. Tells me she has to make a bus in "two minutes BUT never mentions this earlier in the trip.

I get her there with one minute to spare - even to the point of positioning my car such that the bus can't move until I pull off. She's made her bus and paid less than the price of a cocktail to get there.

Result? She lodges three reports - two of which are complete nonsense with one being only remotely true to the strictest extreme - and my rating drops to 4.86 - not much, but it matters to me.

I'm tempted to ignore all pool requests. I view them as doing something for our brand but I'm not putting my rating on the line to every self- entitled early 20s spoiled kid who wants to save a few bucks by using pool. And why would anyone order pool if they have a time deadline?

How will it affect me with Uber though?

Any input?

Tp

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
What I hear from others, lucky no pool in my market, is they accept the first ping, click on the clipboard and stop new requests.
That way you get no additional pickups and uber should re adjust your fare to make it the same price as a x.

Or they just ignore pool, go offline, then re log and hope for an X. Its hard when you are getting bombarded with pools and Uber keep putting you on timeout for 2 minutes for ignoring 3 jobs.

Then again, uber are pushing pool so hard that they are willing to make a loss on it.. for example the customer pays $5 for the fare, but on X would cost perhaps $15.

·
Registered
186 Posts
yes and if by accident I accept I just wait 20 yards way hoping for not shown and make the cheap morons to request x not pool , I get line 2 days b4
and the clock running and gorilla comes at the door see me and goes back in when time run out I cancel and get $5 and speed way like septa cant wait on station for you .

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Yes but will Uber retaliate in some way?
No they can't deactivate for acceptance rate. So all it will cause is your acceptance rate to fall and that could disqualify you on hourly guarantees or any other promos they have running.

Also search this forum for "opt out of pool" and try that too so you can completely not even receive the pool pings in the first place.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I never accept pool requests in the city unless it's a 3x or higher surge. I will occasionally accept one in the burbs if I've been driving for a while without any pings. In the burbs it seems more likely to be a longer trip and that's better than nothing. Last night I got a pool ping in Ardmore. I drove 5 minutes or so to the house and the 2 minute timer expired. Before I could tap cancel/no show, the rider cancelled the trip. I received $1.50. ($2.00 cancellation fee minus $0.50 Uber fee) Who knows what other trip I could have taken in the time I spent going to this cheap, inconsiderate pax's house. Never again. I can now see where the destination would have been if the pax hadn't cancelled - 1.2 miles away. I'm seriously considering trying to opt out of UberPool.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
NEVER take pool. Never ever ever. The only time I accept pool is if I am having a really bad night. Then I accept when it's close, cancel after 2 min if they don't show, or take pleasure in 'apologizing' for 'accidentally ' accepting a pool trip. I then explain to the driver I don't accept pools cuz they are awful. Love seeing the look on the pax face as they try to argue their way into the car!

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Overall, i would say I accept around 10% of all poo requests I get. Once in awhile you get a good ride like the one nitedriver posted earlier but the overwhelming majority of the time it's a short ride that picks $1 times surge from your pocket with an exceptionally entitled pax that will not tip. Always stop new requests.

I take them with surge (not boost) over 2.0 other than at closing time, if I'm on a destination filter, in NJ where the payouts on x and poo are the same, or if it's my last one before timeout. And even if those conditions apply I still might skip it. Last week I looked at a guy who requested poo and laughed at him while I watched his ping time out.

Sometimes I do community service when it's slow and do the poo like it's supposed to be done so the pax get the real experience. Take them all, take my time, take the long way (time wise) especially if it takes me through the hood and I got someone bougie af in the car with me. Works best if you're taking someone up Lancaster ave or broad st from CC. Most pax look at it as a painless way to save a buck because "I never have to share anyway". All it takes is that one time and they'll never take poo again. OPs riders chances of making her bus were real slim were I her poo driver. She'd pay for X next time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I accept pool rides, then I hit the stop new request button. Somtimes I forget to stop new request and another rider comes my way. If this happens I cancel the ride. I've been doing this since uber pool started in philly. Uber has never complained to me. I ain't no ****in septa bus

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I accept pool rides, then I hit the stop new request button. Somtimes I forget to stop new request and another rider comes my way. If this happens I cancel the ride. I've been doing this since uber pool started in philly. Uber has never complained to me. I ain't no &%[email protected]!*in septa bus
When you press the "stop new requests" button, does the the fare default to UberX rates?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
When you press the "stop new requests" button, does the the fare default to UberX rates?
No. It prevents you getting a 2nd pool rider.

I do not accept pool rides unless there's a surge or boost in effect.
I also use the "stop new request" button to prevent multiple pool riders.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
After two months of "above and beyond" customer service , my rating was 4.87.

I took a pool request near Penn. It's been my practice to take 1/3 or slightly more to pull one for the team, but I surely regret this one. Several pick ups and several drop offs complete with quasi- accurate pick up points.

A young girl sits in the front seat with two people in the rear seats. I drop off the two rear passengers and get a ping for a new passenger. Girl in front seat starts to wring her hands, literally. Tells me she has to make a bus in "two minutes BUT never mentions this earlier in the trip.

I get her there with one minute to spare - even to the point of positioning my car such that the bus can't move until I pull off. She's made her bus and paid less than the price of a cocktail to get there.

Result? She lodges three reports - two of which are complete nonsense with one being only remotely true to the strictest extreme - and my rating drops to 4.86 - not much, but it matters to me.

I'm tempted to ignore all pool requests. I view them as doing something for our brand but I'm not putting my rating on the line to every self- entitled early 20s spoiled kid who wants to save a few bucks by using pool. And why would anyone order pool if they have a time deadline?

How will it affect me with Uber though?

Any input?

Tp
You're not on a "team", so stop feeling like you have to "pull one for the team. " Uber doesn't care about us.

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
You need to make sure that the pools you take result in a bad experience for passengers. You made a mistake by letting that person catch the bus. You should have taken your time and parked behind the bus so that you could laugh when the cheapskate runs for the bus and misses it. Then they will realize that Uber Pool made them miss the bus. I once took pleasure in making someone miss their flight because they chose to take Pool from Fishtown to the airport and didn't choose X when I warned them. I had another passenger going to 69th street, then picked up someone else going to Upper Darby. After dropping off there I didn't take the highway, I took the surface streets hoping to get a fourth match. Took an hour to get to the airport. It was back when Uber was illegal so I said that I had to drop them off at the Marriott because I didn't want a ticket. Of course, no help with luggage. They had 20 minutes till their flight and I hoped they missed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a fairly new driver, I've stopped taking Pool unless it's a major surge. Recently I've been getting uberx pings soon after the pool ping expires, so I haven't had to wait around too long before I'm making $$$ again

1 - 20 of 28 Posts