Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this morning I had a dropoff in Wilton CT.---I get pinged to pick up in New Canaan, near the Pound Ridge border, Uber estimates 21 minutes to get there. I arrive at the pickup....5 minutes later a 15 y.o. girl instructs me to taker her to the high school,,,as I arrive at the school a 1/4 mile line has formed to get into the school. Uber pings me for another ride while on line.....rider cancels me, presumably because they do not see me moving towards them. I arrive at high school and find a $7.00 fare.....cost to driver in excess of $10. A half hojr later my rating drops because I get 1 starred.....

Really? what did I do wrong---seems my little rider is frustrated with Uber, not her drive...I lose money and get penalized? It seems you didn't have enough drivers in N.C. this morning...and u had to ping a highly rated driver 21 minutes away for a small fare...shouldn't your surge be used to attract drivers?

·
Registered
952 Posts
You make it sound like you had to take that ride 21 mins away. You don't.

During a ride if you think you will be delayed either by traffic or rider wants to make multiple stops , you can stop incoming requests from coming in .

You got paid accordingly so whining about $7 fare is pointless .

You can assume but you have no proof rider gave you a 1 star. If they did contact uber and tell them you never want to be paired up with that rider again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make it sound like you had to take that ride 21 mins away. You don't.

During a ride if you think you will be delayed either by traffic or rider wants to make multiple stops , you can stop incoming requests from coming in .

You got paid accordingly so whining about $7 fare is pointless .

You can assume but you have no proof rider gave you a 1 star. If they did contact uber and tell them you never want to be paired up with that rider again.
No Janice it wasn't traffic it was pure distance---Uber didn't have anyone closer....so I wasn't paid accordingly, as my distance for pickup was twice as far as distance for dropoff...something that can be factored into an alogo. Second, when you give 5 star service routinely and are marked that way---you do know the outlier who marks you unnecessarily.....what good is telling them not to put you with rider when the damage is already done.

I don't know why I responded to you-----you're an obvious plant to annoy....My goal is to make this better not whine about a fare.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Uber IS helping you, they are telling you that the pickup is 21 minutes away so don't accept it. I could understand being upset if Uber didn't tell you how far away the request was, but they do, so it's your own fault for accepting something that far away. (not to mention giving a ride to a 15yr old that you shouldn't have)

Sounds like you received a $3 lesson on how to be a better driver. Hopefully you remember the lesson for next time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Heads up

You are not allowed to transport riders under 18

The main reason why i never transport riders under 18 is becuase they are 90% more likely to give a one star rating than any other passenger - they think its funny

I work too hard for that

PS - I do not acccept any ping beyond 9 mins - unless it is premium or surge

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Take it as a lesson learned, you accepted a ping way too far away and in New Canaan no less which is nothing but spoiled rich kids going a mile down the street. Uber will not change anything for you or anyone els3, they could care less how far you drive to pickup a crap fare. The longer you do this, the more you will figure out what pings to take based on good or bad experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Heads up

You are not allowed to transport riders under 18

The main reason why i never transport riders under 18 is becuase they are 90% more likely to give a one star rating than any other passenger - they think its funny

I work too hard for that

PS - I do not acccept any ping beyond 9 mins - unless it is premium or surge
My sentiments exactly!!! No one under 18 years of age and no pings over 10 minutes unless it's a 2.3 surge and I normally contact the rider to make sure they still want me to come, so they don't cancel 4 minutes into me driving to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok braintrust.....you've all suggested not to accept pings from minors.....how are you supposed to know their age? if you accept ping---you just cancel and the reason you give uber for cancelation?if you are constantly refusing pings your acceptance rate falls---aren't you impacted by this?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
No Janice it wasn't traffic it was pure distance---Uber didn't have anyone closer....so I wasn't paid accordingly, as my distance for pickup was twice as far as distance for dropoff...something that can be factored into an alogo. Second, when you give 5 star service routinely and are marked that way---you do know the outlier who marks you unnecessarily.....what good is telling them not to put you with rider when the damage is already done.

I don't know why I responded to you-----you're an obvious plant to annoy....My goal is to make this better not whine about a fare.
Janices respond annoyed me as well.sounds like annoying uber support emails :)
like most folks said don't accept request from far away. I either cancel them or dont accept them. Sometimes I text riders saying sorry I'm too far and cant pick them up please cancel and rerequest few mins later. Since most experinced uber drivers don't accept long distance pings who knows maybe uber will need to fix this in long term. I wish they give like extra few dollars when we accept long distance pings.. they don't care. instead they are trying to make us lose money by trying to push us accept all requests by acceptance rates, cancellation rates warning emails etc. I always uber with my best benefit ..don't care if i end up getiing deactivated or sth. Not because I have too many other options. Just don't like to knuckle under to uber policies. At least as much as I can..

·
Registered
403 Posts
ok braintrust.....you've all suggested not to accept pings from minors.....how are you supposed to know their age? if you accept ping---you just cancel and the reason you give uber for cancelation?if you are constantly refusing pings your acceptance rate falls---aren't you impacted by this?
When you show up and its a minor you simply refuse to take them - period

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Your initial post was wrong on so many levels. The good news is that you seem to have understood the excellent advise already given by others. To answer the outstanding questions (I may be "duplicatious"):
  • You may refuse to provide transportation to a PAX for any reason.
  • If you suspect an unaccompanied minor then you may/should request ID as proof. If refused then cancel.
  • Never start the trip if there is anything that makes you uncomfortable. You cannot get rated by the PAX if you do not Start.
  • Immediately complain of "Underage Rider" or other PAX disputes to Uber via the App.
When north of the Merritt, in remote areas like Wilton or New Canaan, I often relax my "10 minute maximum distance" rule, especially if the pickup takes me the way I am planning to go.

·
Premium Member
63,086 Posts
Early this morning I had a dropoff in Wilton CT.---I get pinged to pick up in New Canaan, near the Pound Ridge border, Uber estimates 21 minutes to get there. I arrive at the pickup....5 minutes later a 15 y.o. girl instructs me to taker her to the high school,,,as I arrive at the school a 1/4 mile line has formed to get into the school. Uber pings me for another ride while on line.....rider cancels me, presumably because they do not see me moving towards them. I arrive at high school and find a $7.00 fare.....cost to driver in excess of $10. A half hojr later my rating drops because I get 1 starred.....

Really? what did I do wrong---seems my little rider is frustrated with Uber, not her drive...I lose money and get penalized? It seems you didn't have enough drivers in N.C. this morning...and u had to ping a highly rated driver 21 minutes away for a small fare...shouldn't your surge be used to attract drivers?
No rewards driving Uber any longer.
They have ruined the enterprise.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Everything you did was wrong. Accepting a ping from that far away, and picking up a minor. You cannot get deactivated for low acceptance ratings. Acceptance ratings have absolutely no impact on you. You could accept 1% of your requests and you'll still be good to go. Never pick up a minor. A whole ton of things could go wrong with that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I drove a minor once for a long ride....never again. She was a nice kid, but probably about 15 years old and it was awkward having her in the car. It was a long ride up in the Boston area, from Framingham to Cambridge. Nothing went actually wrong, but do you know how hard it is to make innocent small talk with a 15 year old girl without it sounding kind of pervy or weird?

"So...are you in high school?" Bad question.
"Uh, so, what takes you to Cambridge?" Bad question.
"Do you uber much?" Bad question.

There is literally nothing you can say. Innocent questions that for grownups would be pleasant small talk seem strange and weird and makes me nervous she might get the wrong idea.

And just ignoring them for half an hour would seem strange too, but that's basically what I did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok braintrust....took your advice yesterday. got in the car heading south on Rt. 123.....no pings until new canaan.....Pick up on farm rd....can't accept that one, NCHS. I kept driving south..........pinged in Norwalk, can't accept that one, a middle school in Norwalk. Another ping in Norwalk, I respond. As I arrive, I see two girls a few hundred yards away from the school waiting for their Uber........I cancel. I turn off and drive away, reset 10 minutes later. I get pinged in Norwalk, kid wants to be taken to B. McMahon HS....so 4 pings between 2-3:45pm.....did not pickup any-so I made no money, watched my acceptance rate go down, cancellation rate go up.......but, I followed the rules!....see why I am asking for Uber's help? not whining, trying to create a better job, a better service and hopefully Uber wins.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
You made three mistakes. ..
1. You accepted a request more than 10 mins away.
2. You let a minor in your car, unaccompanied.
3. You didn't stop incoming requests.

Sorry man, Uber is tough enough, you make it harder by doing these things.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Don't fret uberjet77 you are learning as you go, everything you said I have experienced. You won't make much 2-4 so keep your distance from high schools. If you're in Norwalk, hang on Main Ave. Still slow during those hours but when you do get a ping it will be an adult going to Sono train, Stamford train or nyc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts