Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
From what I could see from the slideshow, if they were to ever come out, it wouldn't take off (no pun intended)

From what I saw, some of them could only fly (therefore not a car), and the others seem to require manual conversion and storage of some unused part (meaning if you want to fly, you have to keep the base allowing you to drive behind, or if you want to drive, you have to leave the wings etc. behind)

This means if you were driving the "flying car", you couldn't just push a button and begin to fly, or even if you were at a location where you could manually convert to "fly mode", you still don't have the storage space to take the wings etc. with you, and even then, you would have to leave the base wherever you took off from (by the looks of it)

The only way this could possibly work is if the flying gear (wings etc.) were stored in a rented hangar at a local airstrip with the wheels etc. (the base) part of the car itself and just repurposed as landing gear when flying, and if you wanted to fly, you would have to drive your "flying car" to the airport, convert to "fly mode", hope that your destination airstrip or airport allows you to store your wings etc. there during your stay

At that rate, you might as well just have a regular car, find a place to park it at the airstrip or airport, get and fly a Cessna wherever you're going, then just rent a car when you get to your destination, or even better just drive to or get a ride (Uber/Lyft;)) to the airport, get a ticket and fly like we've been doing for years

On the topic of "Uber Pilot", I think that would be something interesting for Uber to take on, a service called Uber Pilot, Uber Fly, Fly Uber, Uber Air, whatever, Use the Uber pax app to schedule a flight somewhere, anywhere, set an itinerary, then Uber will automatically schedule a car to pick you up (X, XL, Select, Black), take you to the airstrip or airport, take you to your Uber selected pilot (Pilots could have a "pilot app" in the same way we have our driver app), then be picked up by another Uber at your destination automatically to take you where you need to go (hotel, house, apartment, place of business, etc.), once the trip is completed, the pax has the option to rate and tip both drivers and the pilot, and could even have an option in the itinerary to link to say trivago, hotels.com, etc. or even partner with Airbnb for pax to find a place to stay at the destination and even deals with enterprise to rent a car at the destination

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
For decades, probably ever since I saw the first run of The Jetsons in the 1960s, I have followed news about all attempts to develop a "flying car" for the consumer market. (Just like I demanded a personal jet pack after I saw them demonstrated in the 1964 New York World's Fare!)

The flying car that has made the most news appearances in the past 50 years is the one continually under development by Paul Moller. He's been called a huckster, a con artist and a fraud, but his prototype is breathtakingly beautiful. I think that the problem has been that the technology to make his dream real has only recently become available. Just like Elon Musk's Space X rocket that soars into space and then lands on it's fins only became possible to build in the last decade, so too I think that Moller's company - if it is still viable and he is not completely burnt out - may yet make a go of it. I sincerely hope to see it before I die!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_M400_Skycar

Moller M400 Skycar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moller Skycar M400
Role Flying car (aircraft)
Manufacturer Moller International
Designer Paul Moller
Status Experimental
Unit cost
US$500,000 (estimated)[1]

A poster advertising the Skycar
The Moller Skycar is a prototype personal VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) aircraft - a "flying car" - invented by Paul Moller who has been attempting to develop such a vehicle type for more than fifty years.[2] As of 2016, no Moller air vehicle has successfully flown in free, non-tethered flight

The M400 craft, currently under development, is purported to ultimately transport four people; single-seat up to six-seat variations are also planned.[3] It is described as a car since it is aimed at being a popular means of transport for anyone who can drive, incorporating automated flight controls, with the driver only inputting direction and speed required.

After forty years and $100,000,000 in expenditure[4] the Skycar demonstrated tethered hovering capability in 2003.[5] It has been extensively marketed for pre-order sale since the 1990s as Moller attempted to raise more money for development.

In April 2009, the National Post characterized the Moller M400 Skycar as a "failure", and described the Moller company as "no longer believable enough to gain investors".[6] On May 18, 2009, Paul Moller filed for personal protection under the Chapter 11 reorganization provisions of the federal bankruptcy law[7] and it is unknown how this will impact the fate of his ideas; Moller International itself did not file for bankruptcy but reduced operations.[8]

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Retired senior++!

Flying cars are like fuel cell vehicles. Been hearing about them forever. Moller's car is particularly noteworthy as one of the best examples of vapor ware ever constructed. He has been leading investors on for decades with it and the closest to flight it has ever gotten is a hover test while cabled last time I checked.

There is a company currently working on a "drone taxi" which seems interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.