Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen so many threads here about riders and their pax from hell. I should've known better in this situation.
Picked up pax from some Hotel in Beverly Hills. I'm thinking "great this will be an airport run." She then tells me to stop by Saks 5th Avenue. Makes me wait 25 friggin minutes for her.

I'm thinking I need to cancel the ride. I look back and she left her bags in my car and I remember her luggage in my trunk. Do I wait it out or end trip and leave her Sh*! in the curb? Nope, I wait it out. She then makes a starbucks run for another 20 mins! She then changes destination to 2 miles away to her boyfriend's house. We get there and she has the audacity to tell me she needed help getting her stuff. no tip. $13 minus fees and commission (which I didn't bother checking) for 1 hour of being her personal bish...

I was so mad after this trip, I just went home. * sigh *

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have started to tell people that I don't get paid to be parked waiting. They need to pay me out of pocket for waiting.
ever see a ratings dip for mentioning that? I want to avoid a scenario like yesterdays. it was just bad. I emailed uber to let them know that she made me wait and if she reports insufficient route, then that is a lie. I also told uber to let customer know to be considerate in the future and request a different rider after each trip. I knew I shouldn't have picked up that 4.6. lol 4.6 and below pax is like playing Russian roulette.

·
25,000 Posts
They need to pay me out of pocket for waiting.
If the user complains, that could get you a suspension or de-activation. There are two things that Uber hates: telephones and cash.

ever see a ratings dip for mentioning that?
Conversely, I do hope that you awarded her the one star that she so thoroughly deserved.

or end trip and leave her Sh*! in the curb?
Do not do that. If something happens to her stuff, you could be held liable for it.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
If the user complains, that could get you a suspension or de-activation. There are two things that Uber hates: telephones and cash.
I Am An Independent Contractor In business To Make Money. At these LOW rates. I have a right to spend my assets as I chose. If a passenger is not helping my bottom line. It's time to end the trip.

·
25,000 Posts
I Am An Independent Contractor In business To Make Money. At these LOW rates. I have a right to spend my assets as I chose. If a passenger is not helping my bottom line. It's time to end the trip.
I do not disagree, but, sadly for you, I ain't the one that you need to convince. Uber is what you need to convince. Uber does not agree with either you or me on this one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ever see a ratings dip for mentioning that? I want to avoid a scenario like yesterdays. it was just bad. I emailed uber to let them know that she made me wait and if she reports insufficient route, then that is a lie. I also told uber to let customer know to be considerate in the future and request a different rider after each trip. I knew I shouldn't have picked up that 4.6. lol 4.6 and below pax is like playing Russian roulette.
Verify the destination when their in your car. 'Will 12312 w smith st be your final destination?' They say no want to go to 7-11. 'understood, Uber policy (feel free to make stuff up) is that I can't wait for than 5 minutes' If they protest, tell you examples of other drivers waiting longer simply let them know you have PAX waiting and it you (the driver) wouldnt be the only one waiting but the next passenger who needs to get somewhere. Do this professionally and without apology and you might have a chance at dodging a 1 star. Aside from that there is not much you can do. The most solid option is never start the trip until you are completely convinced the PAX will not do this to you.

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Verify the destination when their in your car. 'Will 12312 w smith st be your final destination?' They say no want to go to 7-11. 'understood, Uber policy (feel free to make stuff up) is that I can't wait for than 5 minutes' If they protest, tell you examples of other drivers waiting longer simply let them know you have PAX waiting and it you (the driver) wouldnt be the only one waiting but the next passenger who needs to get somewhere. Do this professionally and without apology and you might have a chance at dodging a 1 star. Aside from that there is not much you can do. The most solid option is never start the trip until you are completely convinced the PAX will not do this to you.
I think what I'll say next time they ask to make a stop, I'll tell them they're actually my last ride for the day and have an appointment to attend to. Only reason why I accepted the ride was because they were heading my direction. Hopefully they'll say ok or just wait for another ride.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I do not disagree, but, sadly for you, I ain't the one that you need to convince. Uber is what you need to convince. Uber does not agree with either you or me on this one.
We are in a pickle on this matter. I the driver want to help the passenger, the passenger wants to pay me. Thats why they requested, the issue is when you are waiting in drive thrus over 30 minutes or helping with grocerys your pay drops to half of minimum wage. I just look at it as bug or a glitch that needs to be adjusted.

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are in a pickle on this matter. I the driver want to help the passenger, the passenger wants to pay me. Thats why they requested, the issue is when you are waiting in drive thrus over 30 minutes or helping with grocerys your pay drops to half of minimum wage. I just look at it as bug or a glitch that needs to be adjusted.
Uber should make it so if you are stalled, after 5 mins of stalling, it should be .65 cents per minute until the car moves again. That'll make those riders like the one I got yesterday to hurry up. Of course, you could do a ride adjustment if you're stuck in the freeway due to accidents.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think what I'll say next time they ask to make a stop, I'll tell them they're actually my last ride for the day and have an appointment to attend to. Only reason why I accepted the ride was because they were heading my direction. Hopefully they'll say ok or just wait for another ride.
Less is more. I'm not saying not to bring up an appointment or something like that but It can lead to an angry reaction. My stance remains; 1. Verify name 2. Verify destination(destinations) 3. Cancel if answers are wrong.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Uber should make it so if you are stalled, after 5 mins of stalling, it should be .65 cents per minute until the car moves again. That'll make those riders like the one I got yesterday to hurry up. Of course, you could do a ride adjustment if you're stuck in the freeway due to accidents.
YUP .18 cents a minute is a travesty. $4 an hour after cost NOT TO MENTION safe ride fee

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Less is more. I'm not saying not to bring up an appointment or something like that but It can lead to an angry reaction. My stance remains; 1. Verify name 2. Verify destination(destinations) 3. Cancel if answers are wrong.
You can't really cancel right when you confirm the address. In order to get the address, you gotta start trip. Also, you don't really know there's additional stops until you start moving the car. It's a lose-lose scenario.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can't really cancel right when you confirm the address. In order to get the address, you gotta start trip. Also, you don't really know there's additional stops until you start moving the car. It's a lose-lose scenario.
You ask them. Don't start the trip. You ask they tell, go from there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry to say, but your advice doesn't always work.

Me: whats your destination?
Pax: I entered it
Me: ok. start trip. sees destination
Pax: oh btw, can we stop here first?
Pax: 124
See where your advice doesn't work?

ask again.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I don't really see how them saying they entered it stops you from asking if there are stops. My whole premise is that you do not start the trip until you confirmed their name and destination. Here is an example of why you do this and why it works. PAX wants to drive from California to Texas, they've entered the destination and they're name is Peter. I arrive at pick up location and send text reading, 'Hello Peter, your Uber as arrived' 7 minutes pass so I give Peter a call and he says he'll be out in a minute, fine. He approaches car, I roll down window asking him what his name is. He says Peter, right answer. Still I don't start trip yet, I ask where Peter is going to, he says Texas, I say I cannot go to Texas and cancel trip. Please tell me what is incorrect or why this protocol does not work.

·
25,000 Posts
We are in a pickle on this matter. I the driver want to help the passenger, the passenger wants to pay me. I just look at it as bug or a glitch that needs to be adjusted.
I do not disagree with you, either. Again, sadly for you and the other poster who quoted me, I ain't the guy whom you need to convince. You need to convince Uber. That is a daunting task, at best, considering that your e-Mail on the subject likely will have to negotiate several outsourced CSRs before anyone who has any authority actually read it. Even then, Uber has its own ideas about things and is convinced that anyone with any experience in this business could not possibly know his subject.

By no means let that stop you, just be aware.

Reactions: bobper

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've seen so many threads here about riders and their pax from hell. I should've known better in this situation.
Picked up pax from some Hotel in Beverly Hills. I'm thinking "great this will be an airport run." She then tells me to stop by Saks 5th Avenue. Makes me wait 25 friggin minutes for her.

I'm thinking I need to cancel the ride. I look back and she left her bags in my car and I remember her luggage in my trunk. Do I wait it out or end trip and leave her Sh*! in the curb? Nope, I wait it out. She then makes a starbucks run for another 20 mins! She then changes destination to 2 miles away to her boyfriend's house. We get there and she has the audacity to tell me she needed help getting her stuff. no tip. $13 minus fees and commission (which I didn't bother checking) for 1 hour of being her personal bish...

I was so mad after this trip, I just went home. * sigh *
You didn't know, the tip is included in the fair. :rolleyes:

Uber on

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I think we all need to let our customers know that we don't get paid hardly anything for waiting. Then they can either get the hint and offer a cash tip or we can just drop them off at their destination.

I usually say:

"We aren't like a taxi company, so we don't really get paid that much for waiting. So, I usually don't go through drive thru or wait because if I do that then I'm not making any money and I could be missing other calls from other clients."

Some get the hint and cash tip, some don't and they get dropped off without a drive thru or stop in between. My rating is high enough to where I can tell them that this is not a good business decision for me. The idea is to at least get the notion out there that we don't get paid much for waiting.

Also, if the customer doesn't ask and tells me that we are going to a drive thru then it is an automatic no lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts