Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber pax adds stop(s) "trip destination update" while you're en-route to pick up, what do you do?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
That is annoying and while don't like stops, I prefer to keep my cancelation rate as low as possible. I'd rather cancel when it's really called for.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So you'd rather clean out your car on your own time for free?
It takes me all of but like 60 secs to wipe down my leather interior, and throw out a napkin or two so...yes, I'll forego that .11 cent payment for wait time, to spare me the next 10 mins for the same amount (I'd rather get the next ride which pays more)...now for extended cleaning (ie, vac, etc), that happens at the car wash...I guess I wouldn't be opposed to leaving pax to shop at Walmart while I hit the car wash, then circle back in 20 mins for the return ride home...that's at least one solid idea to come out of this "great debate" on the merits of honoring the cherished multi-shop...I might offer that up next time.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
More often than I'm asked to make a stop.

Seriously, how often do riders ask you for stops?
Me? I get them A LOT, at least one or more per RS session...that might be unique to the Tucson market though...during winter this market is mostly UA students and service sector workers serving the snow birds, and these folks tend to want to stop here and there, all over the place, inclusive of drive thrus, smoke shop stops, etc, etc., it can really get out of control (and waste too much time) if one doesn't set some reasonable boundaries around it!

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
.this includes round trips
DF once annoyingly dashed me a round trip stop and shop (while I was trying to get home, not go shopping at Walmart!)...only FUber's (the technology company) team of experts could come up with the idea that starting and returning to the exact same spot brings me "closer" to my filtered destination...

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
..only FUber's (the technology company) team of experts could come up with the idea that starting and returning to the exact same spot brings me "closer" to my filtered destination...
The problem, here , is that Uber's programmers consider a local to be "within tolerances". For the job that you cite, it does not work well in any circumstance. We have another annoying thing here, that you would expect from the Big City.

You are Downtown. You set your destination filter for the far west side of the city. It hits you with a local that is two blocks east of you and is going five more blocks east. You drop that. Your destination filter still shows far west side of city. It hits you with a job one block from you that is going five blocks east of that. You drop that. It hits you with a job three blocks from you that is going SIX blocks east of where you fetch it. Keep up this nonsense, and suddenly you are five miles east of your START point , even farther from your desired destination AND your destination filter has just timed out.

You can try to nip it in the bud by declining the third job and resolve to decline jobs until you get five blocks west of your start point, but, if you get timed off for declining pings, you lose the destination filter.

·
Premium Member
11,652 Posts
So you'd rather clean out your car on your own time for free?
To be fair, I haven't driven in almost 2 years. Good gods, that time went fast!

Point is, you do have a point. It is different now, if one is trying to wipe down the car several times a "shift".

It's probably also time for me to withdraw from this forum. I stayed because I figured it's a way to keep up with the changes in case I ever decide to start driving again, but that probably won't happen. It COULD... I try not to deal in absolutes... but probably not.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
To be fair, I haven't driven in almost 2 years. Good gods, that time went fast!

Point is, you do have a point. It is different now, if one is trying to wipe down the car several times a "shift".

It's probably also time for me to withdraw from this forum. I stayed because I figured it's a way to keep up with the changes in case I ever decide to start driving again, but that probably won't happen. It COULD... I try not to deal in absolutes... but probably not.
Like you, I haven't driven in almost two years. That two years will be in late February.

And I still think about driving sometimes. I look at the map in the app and think about the surge, the bonuses, etc.

And then I think to myself about the pandemic and say, "Nahhh, Eff that!"

For the record, I'm over 65 and so am considered "at risk." No other real risk factors though.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,432 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts