Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber pax adds stop(s) "trip destination update" while you're en-route to pick up, what do you do?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yours truly has noted this occurrence on Fuber...that I accept a ride, open the sub-menu to confirm there are no stops, then proceed to the pick up....only to hear the "trip update" chime, then look back and am suprised see this updated included the additional of a stop (or even stops).

This garners an insta-cancel from me...what about you?

Premium Member
although my preference is for any stops to be added prior to ping acceptance, I'd continue on; it's the path of least resistance and I still get paid.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
although my preference is for any stops to be added prior to ping acceptance, I'd continue on; it's the path of least resistance and I still get paid.
I've just been burned too many times on the multi-stops, far too many return trip "smokes run" the gas station and/or through the Taco-Bell drive thru...at least on Lyft I can "arrive" and see if its a return trip, cancel and bounce, but with Uber I don't get those clues until I start the ride, so I just cancel (after I accept and scope out ride) ALL Uber rides with multi-stops (even those added on after I accept)...IF they're dashed in after the pax gets in, then I try to be accommodating within reason, because extracting them from my car is often more time-consuming/labor intensive then simply bringing them to their first destination.

Premium Member
I've just been burned too many times on the multi-stops,
so far mine have been aok. Bulk of them were round trips to/from school. Think parent taking a forgotten lunch and they don't have a car. A few were picking up a 2nd pax (no problem I don't care as long as they are toes to curb). Only one was to a gas station convenient store; they were out by the 3 minute mark give or take; no problem.

I don't think I've had a stop added after ping acceptance; I guess I would wonder why the app was beeping at me and just deal with it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The smart pax don't add the stops until they're in the car.
Well, they would only start doing their multi-stop ride got cancelled out on a number of times...I'm seeing that my "hating on multi-stops" might put me in the minority....

2021 Bugatti Chiron
I really don't have an issue with stops. When ever I see a stop I am very clear to tell them 2 minutes is all I can wait and they need to take everything with them. I won't do a drive thru. Cash will change my mind. Most understand and hand me $5 right away asking how long that will get them. My answer is 5 more minutes, so they get 7 minutes now.

How much to take me through the drive thru? Depends on how many cars in front of us. $5.00 + $2.00 per car in front of us. 5 cars in front of us if $15.00

I'm sure over time it has cost me some 1猸 ratings. I don't care ratings can't be deposited in the bank.

My longest wait was just under 1 hour. Long trip into Miami, asked me to wait 1 hour, long trip back to the Keys. Well worth my time, to wait. and I would gladly do it again.

Premium Member
The smart pax don't add the stops until they're in the car.

But I don't hate stops the way some people here do.
I really don't have an issue with stops. When ever I see a stop I am very clear to tell them 2 minutes is all I can wait and they need to take everything with them. I won't do a drive thru. Cash will change my mind. Most understand and hand me $5 right away asking how long that will get them. My answer is 5 more minutes, so they get 7 minutes now.

How much to take me through the drive thru? Depends on how many cars in front of us. $5.00 + $2.00 per car in front of us. 5 cars in front of us if $15.00

I'm sure over time it has cost me some 1猸 ratings. I don't care ratings can't be deposited in the bank.

My longest wait was just under 1 hour. Long trip into Miami, asked me to wait 1 hour, long trip back to the Keys. Well worth my time, to wait. and I would gladly do it again.
Gave a ride to an attorney to local jail so he could bail out his paralegal on a DUI. Said if I'd wait he give me $100. I did and he did. Wait was about 40 minutes.

Premium Member
If pax adds stop enroute Im usually 50 50 on cancelling. Depends on time an a couple other factors. Ive started letting pax know that they do not pass on the xtra charge to us drivers. I tell them too edit and I still stop for them. 9 times out of 10 they tip me.

If I see a stop after accepting or if a customer adds a stop while I am en route to cover, I cancel. If the customer adds it once he is in the car, I balk. People who want me to stop almost never tip. The more the customer demands of me, the less that he is likely to tip anything. Those who do tip are usually stingy with it.

Premium Member
But I don't hate stops the way some people here do.
Same here. I don't give a fig if there are stops.

I don't even care if it's a 5 or 10 minute stop. I use that time to get trash out of the car, to walk around for a couple of minutes, to have a snack, or to catch up the log that I keep. Stuff that I would do on my own time for free, if there wasn't a stop.

I think that people who are against stops aren't creative enough for how to make good use of their time. Or they think that if the wheels aren't turning, they're not making any money. The nice thing about stops is that they are zero out-of-pocket cost for me. Just only my time, nothing else.

When you drive a car that gets 20 mpg and requires premium gas, you notice that stuff.

Registered
Same here. I don't give a fig if there are stops.

I don't even care if it's a 5 or 10 minute stop. I use that time to get trash out of the car, to walk around for a couple of minutes, to have a snack, or to catch up the log that I keep. Stuff that I would do on my own time for free, if there wasn't a stop.

I think that people who are against stops aren't creative enough for how to make good use of their time. Or they think that if the wheels aren't turning, they're not making any money. The nice thing about stops is that they are zero out-of-pocket cost for me. Just only my time, nothing else.

When you drive a car that gets 20 mpg and requires premium gas, you notice that stuff.
So can I hire you to wait somewhere for free? That's right, no pay, but there will also be no out of pocket costs to you and you can be as creative as you want with the time. Lmk.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't even care if it's a 5 or 10 minute stop. I use that time to get trash out of the car,
That would have to be A LOT of trash in your car....if it takes 10 mins to remove it all...are you driving around a mobile junk-yard/garage-sold or something?

Premium Member
So can I hire you to wait somewhere for free? That's right, no pay, but there will also be no out of pocket costs to you and you can be as creative as you want with the time. Lmk.
Nice try. When I'm waiting during a stop, I'm getting paid for it. Maybe you hadn't actually noticed that there's a PER MINUTE charge also.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice try. When I'm waiting during a stop, I'm getting paid for it. Maybe you hadn't actually noticed that there's a PER MINUTE charge also.
Sweet, how much do you get paid (in your market) per min to wait?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't checked lately. Last time I did, it was in the vicinity of minimum wage.
Well...if that's good money for you..then I'd say go for it with those multiple stops with wait times on them...in my market its like .11 cents a min which is not worth it for me, but to each his/her own...

Premium Member
Well...if that's good money for you..
When you consider that the per-minute is next-to-nothing, it is no wonder that he did not notice it.
The point that you guys are missing is not that there's low pay for it.

The point is that you're going to clean out your car anyway! You can do it for free after you're done driving for the day, purely doing it on your own time. Or you can get paid a few pennies while you do it.

NOBODY here says they don't clean out their car. Nobody.

Premium Member
To be fair, there is BARELY a per minute payment. It's designed for red lights, and not getting screwed in slow/stopped traffic, not for stops while a pax tries to find out which wine will go best with dinner...

In my market, $0.11/min. That's $6.60/hour. Way below NJ's current minimum wage of $13. Doesn't even make it to the level of federal minimum wage of $7.25.

IOW, you AIN'T getting paid, at least not in accordance with labor laws.

Uber and Lyft need to add features to their apps that are clear about drivers marking when they get to a stop, and when the pax is back and ready to roll again. And increase the per minute rate to cover the minimum wage requirement.

Then watch how few pax actually want to shop while keeping their chauffeur waiting..... stops will go back to being what they were originally meant for: pickups and drop-offs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts