Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an independent contractor, and an American Citizen, I recognize that Uber owes me nothing. I need Uber more than Uber needs me. Why? Because there’s nothing proprietary about using my car to drive my neighbors to places they need to go. There’s no special or unique skill required of me to pick up a stranger, and take them somewhere else. Uber’s contribution to society heavily outweighs my ability to have a driver’s license, a vehicle, and the updated requirements for me to operate that vehicle legally per my local government and Uber’s policies. Uber incurred the risk of investing into an idea, and then creating a thoughtful platform. If Uber didn’t exist, many who complain would be flipping burgers for less money. Due to Uber’s incurred risk, they get to reap the profit accordingly. I applaud them.

I’m proud of Uber for being yet another American born proponent of innovative ideas and I admire their patience with other Uber drivers that don’t understand basic fundamentals of free-market economics. That labor is valued based on contribution. Companies like Uber is what makes America the greatest country in the world. Add ride sharing to the list of everything else my country has given. First in flight. First vehicle. First internet prototype. Even toilet paper was from the USA.

Thank you Uber for creating an innovative application that assists me in helping me with income after being laid off during the pandemic. If you wish to make more money, go learn a specialized skill, or trade. If one feels offended by my post and this is a full time career for you, then fine. I don’t mean any disrespect, but heed my words. Your value as a human is separate from your value as a laborer, or your source of income. Everyone has intrinsic value as a human being, with traits and personable qualities that make them fantastic. Nevertheless, as far as monetary exchange based on skill, there’s nothing special here. You drive a car for a phone app. If you desire to make more money, train in something that not a lot of people can do.

Uber, you owe me nothing because you’ve provided me and the rest of the world enough. And I may be the minority opinion, but it’s simply the truth and I appreciate you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the real world, where sometimes good people do terrible things, or terrible people do good things, or good companies get it wrong, and bad companies get it right. Round and round we go. There isn't a single human being or organization that hasn't done something to screw someone over. Whether intentional or not, we're flawed. We live in a flawed society. It's part of our humanity. What we lack is the ability to forgiveness, grace, or understanding except by whatever digital echo-chamber that controls our bias.

Additionally, there's currently no such thing as forced labor in our free-society (with the exception of waiting tables...that's teetering on the line). If we don't like the terms of our situation, we are free to go somewhere else. Or....better yet.....we can become a competitor, ourselves.
If you think I'm philosophical here....you should listen to the conversations I have with my passengers.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Every partnership has obligations. If we are partners, then they owe us ethical treatment as well as adherence to the partnership agreement. When they fail to do either, it is fair to say that Uber "owes" something.

Just curious, how long have you been driving for Uber?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
You are correct in significant ways; and it is hard to define ethics as a general matter (not so much in practice, however).

Uber is classified as an independent contractor, that's true. But a special class of them, "TNC."

If you look at the statutory definition of independent contractor, it revolves around the right of the contractor to "control the details" of his work. The reality is Uber, by regulating rides, driver conduct, bonus incentives, monitoring their drivers, is controlling the details and would NOT classify as an independent contractor like you and me.

Uber gets special treatment. Just not having to file 1099's for $600 or more payouts is just one regulatory burden on you and I as independent contractors, but Uber is exempt from that, just one example.

I'm not saying it's wrong that Uber has special exemptions in law and lower taxes than some of its IK competitors, it is what
it is. But it's not like they owe "nothing" to their IK's who are, in fact, far more than that to them.

Just think about it for one minute- what IK is solely dependent on only ONE client for its earnings year-in-and-year-out? It doesn't
work like that in the IK world.

I, too, am grateful for their innovation, leading technology and job creation. Mr. Kalanick did an amazing thing and made a fortune for it. I'm not resentful of "their" success, even if the founder behaved like an immature, self-centered jerk at times. But I think Uber has a long way to go to be a good company to work for- either as an employee or an independent contractor.

Sadly, they do not seem genuinely, strategically interested in being that good company to work for.

·
Premium Member
7,926 Posts
Ethical treatment? What are they doing that's so unethical? Please. Enlighten me.
Under paying their drivers.

Most don't make enough to turn a profit by IRS standards.

Min wage for an employee doing the same work in their own car?

That would be about 70% higher than the orlando pay rates.

UN-ETHICAL

Reactions: Buckiemohawk

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Ethical treatment? What are they doing that's so unethical? Please. Enlighten me.
been a long time since I drove, but here are a few unethical things Uber did.
Misrepresent how far away a ping was
RE-assign me to a new ping while driving to the original one without permission
Not give correct fares, nearly every night. Especially on big nights like halloween and NYE.
Lie about the TOS in emails to me
Hire idiots who can't understand english to deny legitimate requests for payment (ie. they cheated me on a fare)
Lower rates and tell me it was so I could make more money
FALSE maps images for higher rates
etc

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Wow, he said Uber takes all the risk. I won’t even say how ****ed up and bullshitty that statement is. I think Uber is the sponsor of the original post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First and foremost...I'm nobody's puppet. I speak the truth about what I see, and I use critical thinking skills to identify those truths. Critical thinking is something that has been missing in our society for a long time. Obviously. Yesterday, my Uber app gave me the incorrect information on where to pick up a passenger. Did I get all angry and upset at Uber? No. Why? Because it doesn't matter in the end. I didn't care that much, and the passenger and I both laughed it off.

All these first-world problems that many Uber drivers (and people in general) complain about especially on this forum are absolutely astounding. It's like listening to a bunch of school-children crying about crap that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Once again...you're driving a car for a living. Let me ask all of you something....do you know the sound children make when you're doing CPR on their dying father right in front of them? Do you want to know what it's like to find a month old dead body underneath the rubble of a home destroyed by a hurricane? Can I tell you what that smells like? Or the sound it makes swishing around in a body bag? It's like a slimy "swish....swish....swish...".

These can be easily considered false equivalences on the surface, that's fair. But, also consider that other people (like me) have had jobs or duties that were a little more serious. Whereat the end of the day you look around to see "who made " and "who didn't". That's why I have the perspectives that I do. Not to discount the fact that everyone has seen their share of suffering, or hardship. We live in a cruel world. Which is why I always encourage people to remember what you've seen or been through before and consider where you're at now, or how much worse it could be. It might cause you to take yourself a little less seriously. If you feel like you're being bamboozled, or you're not treated fairly, I'm not telling you to not say something. I'm saying to be patient. Be rational. Approach the situation through critical thought, not subjective emotions. Unless you're in an actual car accident, or if you're being held up at gunpoint while driving for Uber....there is nothing in your day that is an actual crisis. It's like people are screaming bloody murder over a paper cut. Quit making mountains out of molehills.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
How is 4 years sounds like for patience, I have been an independent floor matt for this astonishing company for 4 years , and you know what , it gets worse every day than the day before , talking about skills , maybe you haven't been dealing with drunk babies , with mental ill drunk people, personally l have been in more dangerous situations than the men in blue , at least the police has a chance to shoot back , I couldn't , talking about being patient , drive at night after this corona is over at chapel hill in weekends , for a year , and tell me if you lost faith in humanity or not ,

talking about a smell of dead bodies , try to drive your car in January while it is cold as a **** , and somebody litterly shit on him self for some reason , and you have to drive him for 30 minutes with the windows closed and the heater is circulating the smell

Try to drive while there is smell of fireball with some street hotdogs mixed with stomach fluids on your middle console and on the side door and the window , and keep driving him , usually them to their destinations safely with a smile 😃 on your face and then get 1 starred , I can keep going on , with stories happened to me

·
Premium Member
8,900 Posts
Let me just say this, someone always has it worse than you. That doesn't mean you should just accept your situation. I've been doing this for over 6 years and I do ok or I don't do it. But I have that luxury. I have seen uber lie, break the law, cheat, steal and lie some more. The passengers are the least of it, I can deal with the misplaced pin.

Do you know that uber used to have people call and cancel rides on Lyft to harass drivers into coming over. Look up "gray ball uber" . Do you understand the shift to upfront pricing and flat rate surge and how that screws drivers?

So I come by my disgust of uber and Lyft honestly. I've even sued uber and gotten a settlement. No, it doesn't compare to dead bodies but that doesn't make it right.

Oh, and one more thing. Uber and Lyft owe us one thing: to treat us honestly and within the law. The fact that they don't, doesn't make it ok.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Grill,
While quoting you, I will ask you to take your own advice welcome to the real world. If a man steals $5 out of your paycheck will you asking to give it back will you demand him to give it back will you complain about it? Any good American will demand what is right. When Uber takes money out of my check, there needs to be a good explanation why? When Uber charges to the passengers extra and does not reimbursed the drivers, I ask why I demand answers? I as an American worker should have those answers. Get a real life and join the real world. We make money because we work if not this app, then another, if not that 1 then another. No one can keep a good man down and a good man will always Stand up for himself. Case closed

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
As an independent contractor, and an American Citizen, I recognize that Uber owes me nothing. I need Uber more than Uber needs me. Why? Because there's nothing proprietary about using my car to drive my neighbors to places they need to go. There's no special or unique skill required of me to pick up a stranger, and take them somewhere else. Uber's contribution to society heavily outweighs my ability to have a driver's license, a vehicle, and the updated requirements for me to operate that vehicle legally per my local government and Uber's policies. Uber incurred the risk of investing into an idea, and then creating a thoughtful platform. If Uber didn't exist, many who complain would be flipping burgers for less money. Due to Uber's incurred risk, they get to reap the profit accordingly. I applaud them.

I'm proud of Uber for being yet another American born proponent of innovative ideas and I admire their patience with other Uber drivers that don't understand basic fundamentals of free-market economics. That labor is valued based on contribution. Companies like Uber is what makes America the greatest country in the world. Add ride sharing to the list of everything else my country has given. First in flight. First vehicle. First internet prototype. Even toilet paper was from the USA.

Thank you Uber for creating an innovative application that assists me in helping me with income after being laid off during the pandemic. If you wish to make more money, go learn a specialized skill, or trade. If one feels offended by my post and this is a full time career for you, then fine. I don't mean any disrespect, but heed my words. Your value as a human is separate from your value as a laborer, or your source of income. Everyone has intrinsic value as a human being, with traits and personable qualities that make them fantastic. Nevertheless, as far as monetary exchange based on skill, there's nothing special here. You drive a car for a phone app. If you desire to make more money, train in something that not a lot of people can do.

Uber, you owe me nothing because you've provided me and the rest of the world enough. And I may be the minority opinion, but it's simply the truth and I appreciate you.
As long as you feel that way, Uber will continue to screw drivers!!

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
If you feel like you're being bamboozled, or you're not treated fairly, I'm not telling you to not say something. I'm saying to be patient.
ROFL..Fuber/Gryft have been shafting their "driver partners" for nearly as long as they have been in existence. How long should drivers tolerate graft, corruption, dishonesty and deceit from them?

Unless you're in an actual car accident, or if you're being held up at gunpoint while driving for Uber....there is nothing in your day that is an actual crisis. It's like people are screaming bloody murder over a paper cut. Quit making mountains out of molehills.
Some folks here are trying to feed their families, pay their bills and you know...survive. When ripped off and misled by the company, they take that personally. But if that's small potatoes to you, fine. Maybe you can be a bit less "rational" and show some empathy. Or is there only emotion for you with a swishing body-bag?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts