Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

So I've been Ubering for a month now and I've kinda run into a couple of situations that I'd really like some answers to.

1). What do you do if after accepting a trip you find your pax are not people you would EVER want in your car? How do you cancel a trip after you've accepted it without charging the passenger/having your rating get affected?

Last Saturday night I got directed towards some sketchy neighborhood and picked up three people from their car. They seem normal at first. I get them in my car, start the trip and try and make a U-turn at the end of the dead-end street. Then things get weird; I look in the rear-view mirror and I get a good look at them. Their pupils are huge, one of the guys keeps scratching his arms incessantly, and the girl keeps rolling her head back & forth in the same pattern. I'm about to graduate nursing school, my experience at Parkland and substance abuse rehab clinical is pointing me straight to the conclusion that they are ****ed up, more than likely on crystal meth. I pretend that I got a call from my manager calling me into work, they buy it & get out.

Aside from obvious newbie mistake #1 (don't pick up people in sketchy neighborhoods), is there a way in the Uber app to cancel a trip while you're currently on it?

2).Why on god's green earth does Uber allow passengers to cancel the trip while they're currently on it?

Last Friday I pick up either a stripper/prostitute/combination of the two and a guy at XTC. They want me to take them to the Best Western off 635 & 75. They ask me to take them to a gas station (for what I assume are condoms) and the first one we find is closed. I (thinking 'ehh wth, more time = more money') suggest I find a 7-11 on the way towards the motel. We stop there, the guy walks in and buys his shit and comes out. I finally get them to the Best Western and I get a message on my phone saying "The rider has canceled the trip." Bam. Screen goes back to the regular map. The chick in the back says "Oh my gahh, I have no idea how to use this app." The dude stays quiet; she says "can't you just start it again for a couple of minutes and then end it?". I can't tell if they were planning on screwing me over from the get go or if this chick was really just dumb af. I locked the doors and (thank God I had my Square credit card reader) haggled my way to $35. I never got the chance to rate them, they're unfortunately going to be someone else's problem down the road :/

So again, obvious Uber mistake #2 (don't pick up sketchy people) - my REAL question is did she somehow hack it to end the trip? How did that happen? As the driver I can't even do anything until I end the trip.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you feel that your life is in danger, get the hell out asap. Cancel the ride, either use: Pax no show or Don't charge the pax options.
Look for help for this ride on the botton and text your concern to Uber.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MoneyUber4, I totally agree. I'm 6' and 250 lbs and I've been doing krav maga for close to a year, it takes a lot to intimidate me and I didn't feel like I was in danger per say, I just knew nothing good would come from driving around a couple meth heads.
Are those options available while you're on the trip? The only option I've seen so far is 'complete trip'.

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Hey y'all,

So I've been Ubering for a month now and I've kinda run into a couple of situations that I'd really like some answers to.

1). What do you do if after accepting a trip you find your pax are not people you would EVER want in your car? How do you cancel a trip after you've accepted it without charging the passenger/having your rating get affected?

Last Saturday night I got directed towards some sketchy neighborhood and picked up three people from their car. They seem normal at first. I get them in my car, start the trip and try and make a U-turn at the end of the dead-end street. Then things get weird; I look in the rear-view mirror and I get a good look at them. Their pupils are huge, one of the guys keeps scratching his arms incessantly, and the girl keeps rolling her head back & forth in the same pattern. I'm about to graduate nursing school, my experience at Parkland and substance abuse rehab clinical is pointing me straight to the conclusion that they are ****ed up, more than likely on crystal meth. I pretend that I got a call from my manager calling me into work, they buy it & get out.

Aside from obvious newbie mistake #1 (don't pick up people in sketchy neighborhoods), is there a way in the Uber app to cancel a trip while you're currently on it?

2).Why on god's green earth does Uber allow passengers to cancel the trip while they're currently on it?

Last Friday I pick up either a stripper/prostitute/combination of the two and a guy at XTC. They want me to take them to the Best Western off 635 & 75. They ask me to take them to a gas station (for what I assume are condoms) and the first one we find is closed. I (thinking 'ehh wth, more time = more money') suggest I find a 7-11 on the way towards the motel. We stop there, the guy walks in and buys his shit and comes out. I finally get them to the Best Western and I get a message on my phone saying "The rider has canceled the trip." Bam. Screen goes back to the regular map. The chick in the back says "Oh my gahh, I have no idea how to use this app." The dude stays quiet; she says "can't you just start it again for a couple of minutes and then end it?". I can't tell if they were planning on screwing me over from the get go or if this chick was really just dumb af. I locked the doors and (thank God I had my Square credit card reader) haggled my way to $35. I never got the chance to rate them, they're unfortunately going to be someone else's problem down the road :/

So again, obvious Uber mistake #2 (don't pick up sketchy people) - my REAL question is did she somehow hack it to end the trip? How did that happen? As the driver I can't even do anything until I end the trip.
the answer to you first question acro ( accept cancel reason others)you need to use that in alot of situations

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
The kids were more than likely on ecstasy (mdma/Molly) from your description. Probably harmless aside from maybe being a little touchy feely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can cancel the trip as well! and if something like that happens in the middle of a trip i would contact uber and tell them they may reimburseyou for the trip and you $35 out of it so you could really screw them if they were trying to screw you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks y'all for the advice, I really appreciate it & it goes a long way. When the chance comes I'll do my best to pay it forward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1st scenario: I think u handled that well. Find an excuse / emergency and get them out. Once u start, u can only end trip and they can rate u. Next time be more observant and u can always cancel b4 u start trip.

2nd scenario: Yes pax can cancel mid-trip. U can send a msg to uber: need help, issue w rider, rider concern and write what happened, where pickup and dropoff was. They will adjust ur fare. I would not submit that if u already got their square payment though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
does karate for "almost a year" and says "per say". dislike. for the sake of all humanity stop saying per say to sound more intelligent. go watch discovery channel to sound more intelligent.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't swim very well... "per se"... but the motion... "in and of itself"... is possible.

Filler garbage words for trying to sound smart. Its disgusting. I'm sure theres others I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Swipe right, complete the trip, if you cannot cancel after starting the trip. Promptly email Uber the situation.

If they cancel while
On the trip, you rocked it by carrying a square reader. I do not do so. Also email uber the situation.

Also;
Stop driving for uber when it's not surging, you're making 66 cents per mile before including costs.

Postmates, Favor, door dash, Amazon flex.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts