Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is are mails from me to UBER and their dumbass reply.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
These generic answers that do not answer questions are going to make me stop driving. I'll try again.

MILEAGE:

My mileage starts (FOR ME) when I pick up a rider. THAT MEANS: from my house TO THE RIDER. THEN FROM PICKUP TO DESTINATION. THAT MEANS: Pick the rider up and take to wherever they are going. Here is how I figure out mileage.

PING……OFF I GO….

FROM MY HOUSE mileage start……..1

TO RIDER………NEW MILEAGE……….…7

TO DESTINATION…NEW MILEAGE….20

TOTAL MILEAGE FOR ME: 28

YOU GIVE ME….. 13 MY QUESTION IS WHY?? You should be paying us for every mile while the app is on. Now, why don't you.

I hope I made this clearer.

Thanks

Mark

From: Bonifacio (Uber Support) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:59 AM
To: ME
Subject: [Uber] Re: mileage conflict

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (57123414) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Bonifacio (Uber)

Aug 30, 03:58

Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about your concern.

We want the Uber system to be as reliable as possible, so riders are always able to get a ride when they need one. When you're sent a request that is a bit further away, it means you're the closest partner to the request.

If you choose to cancel since it's too from your location, it will not affect your acceptance rate. If the cancellation occurs after 5 minutes, you will be compensated according to the cancellation policy.

Also, what you did was right, if you're not ready to accept requests, be sure to go offline.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Bonifacio
help.uber.com

Mark

Aug 29, 21:09

Hi-

There seems to be a mileage conflict going on here. You only count mileage between pickup and drop off. I still have to get to the person. What about those miles? How do I get paid for those when I answer calls from my house as I don't just drive around racking miles up on my car. I was about 3 blocks from my house when I went back to Edison 10 miles away. I swore I wouldn't do that again and I haven't I wait till I get home and turn the app on. Thanks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh my...
The answer to your question is you don't get paid for miles unless there is a passenger in your car.
We have no choice to go off line when there is no pax in the car. YOUR PERSONAL INSURANCE WON'T COVER OR UBER. I start from the house, pick up local and then go home and start again. Plus keep it under $600 for the yaer unless you want a 1099.

·
24,254 Posts
The other thing that is lleno de mierda is that rejecting summonses because they are "too far.....does not affect your acceptance rate". Uber does not ask you why you are declining a summons. Either you accept it or you do not; that is all that the program knows. If you accept eight and decline two, your acceptance rate is eighty per-cent. The program can not figure out that you accepted eight, declined one that you could have accepted and declined the other one because it is "too far", thus giving you and eighty-eight point eight-nine per-cent acceptance rate. No, you get an eighty per-cent acceptance rate.

Reactions: Cathi

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other thing that is lleno de mierda is that rejecting summonses because they are "too far.....does not affect your acceptance rate". Uber does not ask you why you are declining a summons. Either you accept it or you do not; that is all that the program knows. If you accept eight and decline two, your acceptance rate is eighty per-cent. The program can not figure out that you accepted eight, declined one that you could have accepted and declined the other one because it is "too far", thus giving you and eighty-eight point eight-nine per-cent acceptance rate. No, you get an eighty per-cent acceptance rate.
I don't reject, if I happen to forget to turn off the app I take the fare. I won't forget next time and I haven't LOL

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did get a reply I was looking for from UBER. 1 out 5 emails come back with something I WANT ANSWERED CORRECTLY. The last part got ignored I start the trip apon arrival. PERMISSION??? REALLY???? LOL

Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing back. Sorry for the confusion.

I completely understand your concern. However, I'm afraid it is not possible. That is why I suggested that if the pick-up location is too far from where you are, you have the option to cancel the request.

And on the Uber system, you only get compensated when the trip begins. That said, the rider must be inside you vehicle or has given you the permission to start the trip, especially if they're not in the pick-up location on time.

I hope this clarifies your concern. If you have any other question, just let me know.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mark, did you think you were going to be compensated for the miles you drive without a passenger? What other service does that? Riders don't pay taxis or buses for the miles to get to them, why would a rideshare?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mark, did you think you were going to be compensated for the miles you drive without a passenger? What other service does that? Riders don't pay taxis or buses for the miles to get to them, why would a rideshare?
So, here's the point. You need insurance coverage right? With the app running w/no pax in YOUR PERSONAL CAR WITH PERSONAL INSURANCE you are not covered if you crash... UBER WON'T COVER YOU EITHER since you don't have a passenger in the car so you are driving for no pay and no covereage. Who wins in that? Now, onto the mileage thing as far as taxes go you would use ALL MILEAGE (trip tracker app help. soon as a request comes and you start your tip until DROP OFF - that's what yoyu should use.

·
24,254 Posts
Riders don't pay taxis or buses for the miles to get to them, why would a rideshare?
Funny thing is that in some jurisdictions, if you ride a taxi to a destination outside the jurisdiction of licensure, you must pay for the taxi to return empty, to its jurisdiction of licensure. New York City is one such place. If I take a yellow cab from [email protected] to [email protected], I pay what the meter reads. I am still in New York, but barely. If I go three more blocks, to [email protected], I am now about one and one half /two blocks into Yonkers. I would have to pay twice what the meter read. I do not get away with paying just for the three blocks that the driver would need to go to get back into New York, no. I pay for him to go back empty to Manhattan south of 110th.

Some jurisdictions allow for a premium instead of multiplying the meter. New York allows for a premium to take someone to Newark Airport. The drivers there have told me that even with the premium, it is not worth it. Time was that the New York drivers could neither charge a premium nor turn down a trip to Newark Airport. Most New York drivers to whom I talk hate to go to Newark Airport. I can not state that I blame them; I hate that airport, as well. There is a flat rate to Idlewild and LaGuardia from Manhattan--those airports actually are within New York City Limits.

In some cases, though, there have been taxi charges to get to the customer. My current company used to have an account with one firm that required over half of their people to be picked up in the suburbs. They agreed that if a driver had to leave the District of Columbia to pick up the passenger, he could turn on his meter as soon as he crossed the District Line.

Reactions: MarkR

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You have to read that again. What Bonifasio said was to ACCEPT then CANCEL if it's too far. And that this would not affect your ACCEPTANCE rate. Well of course not! You accepted the ping. What it WILL affect, however, is your CANCELATION rate. Two separate metrics.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I did get a reply I was looking for from UBER. 1 out 5 emails come back with something I WANT ANSWERED CORRECTLY. The last part got ignored I start the trip apon arrival. PERMISSION??? REALLY???? LOL

Hi Mark,

Thanks for writing back. Sorry for the confusion.

I completely understand your concern. However, I'm afraid it is not possible. That is why I suggested that if the pick-up location is too far from where you are, you have the option to cancel the request.

And on the Uber system, you only get compensated when the trip begins. That said, the rider must be inside you vehicle or has given you the permission to start the trip, especially if they're not in the pick-up location on time.

I hope this clarifies your concern. If you have any other question, just let me know.
Don't be offended by that "permission" comment. What they were alluding to is that sometimes a passenger will say to you something like, " Hey, I'm going to be a few minutes grabbing my bags, go ahead and start the trip." So they are basically giving you permission to start the trip when they are not in the car and you are waiting. Otherwise you don't need their permission; when they get in your car you start the trip.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny thing is that in some jurisdictions, if you ride a taxi to a destination outside the jurisdiction of licensure, you must pay for the taxi to return empty, to its jurisdiction of licensure. New York City is one such place. If I take a yellow cab from [email protected] to [email protected], I pay what the meter reads. I am still in New York, but barely. If I go three more blocks, to [email protected], I am now about one and one half /two blocks into Yonkers. I would have to pay twice what the meter read. I do not get away with paying just for the three blocks that the driver would need to go to get back into New York, no. I pay for him to go back empty to Manhattan south of 110th.

Some jurisdictions allow for a premium instead of multiplying the meter. New York allows for a premium to take someone to Newark Airport. The drivers there have told me that even with the premium, it is not worth it. Time was that the New York drivers could neither charge a premium nor turn down a trip to Newark Airport. Most New York drivers to whom I talk hate to go to Newark Airport. I can not state that I blame them; I hate that airport, as well. There is a flat rate to Idlewild and LaGuardia from Manhattan--those airports actually are within New York City Limits.

In some cases, though, there have been taxi charges to get to the customer. My current company used to have an account with one firm that required over half of their people to be picked up in the suburbs. They agreed that if a driver had to leave the District of Columbia to pick up the passenger, he could turn on his meter as soon as he crossed the District Line.
At newark airport, I will drop off, leave and end the trip when it's safe (about a minute or 2) . I WILL NEVER DO A PICKUP AT EWR. Anyway I shut the app off, head home and turn it on when I get back in the house. You see, in NY I'm allowed to drop off but not pick up and at EWR since it's run basically by the same people, I treat EWR as if it were the city.

·
24,254 Posts
^^^^It is trouble enough getting into Newark Airport. I would shudder at the thought of finding a passenger there. When I lived in New York, I flew out of Newark Airport once--that was more than enough. It was the flight that my boss had caused to be booked for me, so I had to take it. I asked his secretary please never to book me out of Newark again. For a time, I lived almost next door to Idlewild, so I liked that best. When I lived off East Tremont, LaGuardia was not bad. Even when I lived in Manhattan, though, I did not want to go to Newark. Idlewild or LaGuardia, fine; Newark, no, thank you.

I have an uncle who lives in Somerville. He loves Newark Airport. I can not understand why.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^^It is trouble enough getting into Newark Airport. I would shudder at the thought of finding a passenger there. When I lived in New York, I flew out of Newark Airport once--that was more than enough. It was the flight that my boss had caused to be booked for me, so I had to take it. I asked his secretary please never to book me out of Newark again. For a time, I lived almost next door to Idlewild, so I liked that best. When I lived off East Tremont, LaGuardia was not bad. Even when I lived in Manhattan, though, I did not want to go to Newark. Idlewild or LaGuardia, fine; Newark, no, thank you.

I have an uncle who lives in Somerville. He loves Newark Airport. I can not understand why.
I happen to like Newark Airport. the signage is pretty good but inside the airport, there is lots to see and do while you are waiting for your flight. When I went to Florida, I would spend 3 hours there waiting for my flight, YES on purpose..flight was at 12 I was there at 9am. with my carry on. I like to people watch. When I needed a cab to pick me up, I always went to the 3rd. level of term c, door 1. very easy. less crouded.

·
Registered
167 Posts
(415) 801-4068 Uber office in San Francisco

·
24,254 Posts
I like to people watch.
There are certainly plenty of those, there. That explains why you like it, at least. I never did. Back then, hanging out in an airport bar was not too bad for me, but I still never liked hanging out in the airport bars at Newark. This was before all of these smoking bans. In fact, one reason why I gave up the drink is because I gave up the smoke. If I drank, I would want to smoke and I really do not want to smoke, again.

Now, hanging out in the waiting room at Penn Station in Newark, waiting for a Jersey Central train, sipping on a beer bought at the liquor store there and puffing on a smoke was a different story....................

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Purchase hybrid insurance or commercial insurance and you are covered for the app on/no request phase. You can also park a few blocks from your last drop off and wait on a ping without deadheading all the way back home. Then again, you're in New Jersey, so a 20 mile ride is like an overnight trip to you. Just kidding, there.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Purchase hybrid insurance or commercial insurance and you are covered for the app on/no request phase. You can also park a few blocks from your last drop off and wait on a ping without deadheading all the way back home. Then again, you're in New Jersey, so a 20 mile ride is like an overnight trip to you. Just kidding, there.
Thanks! I'll have to look into this.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
USAA if you are ex military, I think GEICO and Liberty Mutual all offer hybrid policies now. Mine is with USAA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts