Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I have couple of quick strategy questions.

I just drove for the first time in Ann Arbor last week.

Is that even possible to make money driving non surges?

Is anyone dong it?

I realized after just 1 ride that it is not possible to make money driving non surges. Am I missing something?

The reason I am asking is that I see so many cars online in non surge hours?

Why? Because they can make money with non surges somehow or they working some kind of quarantees?

How can you make money driving non surges? Any strategies / advice?

· Registered
115 Posts
Newbie here. I have couple of quick strategy questions.

I just drove for the first time in Ann Arbor last week.

Is that even possible to make money driving non surges?

Is anyone dong it?

I realized after just 1 ride that it is not possible to make money driving non surges. Am I missing something?

The reason I am asking is that I see so many cars online in non surge hours?

Why? Because they can make money with non surges somehow or they working some kind of quarantees?

How can you make money driving non surges? Any strategies / advice?
You get paid $.90/mile-fees, your cost of driving should not be over $.20/mile...if that's not enough money for you then this is not the job for you. I can make money with every ride, even if I go 10 miles to get them.

· Premium Member
1,107 Posts
UBERX non surge is a waste of time. Lyft non prime time is a waste of time. Lyft one advantage is the Power Driving Bonus. Seperate your platforms on Uber if you can. Drive Lyft, UberXL and Select. Go on line UberX only during surge. If you get a non surge UberX request during a surge just let it expire.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UBERX non surge is a waste of time. Lyft non prime time is a waste of time. Lyft one advantage is the Power Driving Bonus. Seperate your platforms on Uber if you can. Drive Lyft, UberXL and Select. Go on line UberX only during surge. If you get a non surge UberX request during a surge just let it expire.
Thanks

Yea. That is pretty much my thinking. I just thought that maybe I can still make money somehow with non surges.

Still can't explain why so many people online in non surge times.

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
It doesn't make sense to have so call Uber/Lyft strategy, simply put, there is too much overlap of drivers in both camps. No one is loyal to Uber or Lyft as there is no corporate culture to define what could separate either of them from just being a faceless middleman. You're just competing with your comrades in the same pool of riders in a defined local market.

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Uber surge driving is better than Lyft Prime time. No way to cherry pick on Lyft.
I was going to test out LeFT after finishing my shortened honeymoon with Xber. Too bad my app was stuck in Veh. Inspection steps 5/6. I thought they said my car smells before this back peddling happens. The car wasn't even come from the company that says (5-star) Drivers wanted.

· Registered
18 Posts
I do straight daytime hours and downtown surges a good amount, but mostly short trips surges. Uber at least you can pick and choice. Get 1-3 surges out of 10. The averages work itself out when working the right hours. Early morning is a long hustle, see what you make after at least 4 hours. I dont deal with games/hash bash whatever turns A2 into a shxtshow. Every driver is out and traffic is hell. Weak money and high stress will burn you out in no time. Been doing this since day one in A2

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do straight daytime hours and downtown surges a good amount, but mostly short trips surges. Uber at least you can pick and choice. Get 1-3 surges out of 10. The averages work itself out when working the right hours. Early morning is a long hustle, see what you make after at least 4 hours. I dont deal with games/hash bash whatever turns A2 into a shxtshow. Every driver is out and traffic is hell. Weak money and high stress will burn you out in no time. Been doing this since day one in A2
Sound like a good plan with downtown surges. Is it worth it to you to do those daytime straight hours?

· Registered
748 Posts
You get paid $.90/mile-fees, your cost of driving should not be over $.20/mile...if that's not enough money for you then this is not the job for you. I can make money with every ride, even if I go 10 miles to get them.
If you think your cost of driving is not over $.20/mile then you are mistaken. Your total cost per mile is what the IRS says, $0.535 for 2017 and $0.54 for 2016. If you think it costs less than that then you're shorting yourself and not thinking long-term total cost.

· Registered
115 Posts
If you think your cost of driving is not over $.20/mile then you are mistaken. Your total cost per mile is what the IRS says, $0.535 for 2017 and $0.54 for 2016. If you think it costs less than that then you're shorting yourself and not thinking long-term total cost.
My cost of driving is nowhere near $0.50/mile. Just because the IRS let's you deduct that amount from your earnings, that does not make it your cost. My Prius gets 45MPG thus gas is $0.05/mile. Other expenses add up another $0.15/mile. In these expenses I include insurance, registration, cost of car (paid $3500), maintenance. If you are going to be making any money in this arrangement then you need to cut your cost. Change your own oil, wipers and brake pads; buy used tires one at a time when they wear out; wash your own car...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.