Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this discussion has been talked about quite extensively. Potential California shutdown. To pay homage to Uber & Lyft, I find this song appropriate, especially the lyric "I traveled each and every highway, but more, much more than this, I did it my way..."

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll recommend "Hotel California" - they can never leave.
Oh that's a good one also. Good tune, but upon dissecting the lyrics isn't it about hell? Hotel California itself as hell. You can never leave. There's one particular Lyric like in that song that goes, "We are all just prisoners here of our own device".

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Oh that's a good one also. Good tune, but upon dissecting the lyrics isn't it about hell? Hotel California itself as hell. You can never leave. There's one particular Lyric like in that song that goes, "We are all just prisoners here of our own device".
I thought it was about addiction, with hell as a metaphor, but I haven't looked into it.

But what I meant is that Uber and Lyft literally can't leave California as their offices are there. I imagine they'll have to find a way to continue to operate their businesses in California too, as it's an existential threat.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Hotel California is not a song about Hell... but it is definitely metaphorical...

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it was about addiction, with hell as a metaphor, but I haven't looked into it.

But what I meant is that Uber and Lyft literally can't leave California as their offices are there. I imagine they'll have to find a way to continue to operate their businesses in California too, as it's an existential threat.
What are your thoughts on prop 22? Because that's going to be the saving grace for Uber in California. I've asked multiple people and it seems divided. 50/50. This can be an issue because it could sway both ways and if it sways to no on prop 22, then Uber is going to have a very difficult time adjusting to making us employees.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
What are your thoughts on prop 22?
I don't have strong feelings as I don't live in California.

I'm not sure which way it will go, and I had mixed feelings about AB5. I think it's pretty clear that gig economy companies might need workers to not be classified as employees, and many part-time workers might prefer that.

I think a lot of the issues around independent contracting have a lot more to do with labor issues in general where worker interests aren't protected. The classification of workers ends up being the focus, but I'm interested in seeing better legislation around the root causes of the problems, which consist of: workers being underpaid, being unfairly discriminated against, and not being treated fairly or predictably. Those issues transcend the employee/IC boundary, and it's not as if reclassifying workers will make things better for all workers.

Any significant changes to labor laws will have winners and losers, and I'm concerned that the side-effects of AB5 will create more losers than winners, but time will tell.

I don't believe Uber's business model is compatible with having employee-drivers. If they make that change, they will have to completely redesign the incentives and price structure in any market where that change occurs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts